Bomb Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks PS. My MMT blows out the back and comes down separate on a streamer. Attaching that is no problem. The bomb will come down on its own chute. Was planning on packing the chute around MMT so when it blows out it will pull chute out with it. Was thinking of compartments on the MMT to keep streamer and chute from tangling.

Attachments

• MMT ejection 001.JPG
    MMT ejection 001.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 29
  • MMT ejection 002.JPG
    MMT ejection 002.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 26
  • MMT ejection 003.JPG
    MMT ejection 003.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 26
  • MMT ejection 004.JPG
    MMT ejection 004.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 25
  • MMT ejection 005.JPG
    MMT ejection 005.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 26
Hi Dave,

You could simplify the build and put an eye bolt on the MMT and attach it to the main shock cord. The mass of the MMT will pull the chute out with nothing to tangle. Might be easier to come down together eliminating the streamer.

Just a thought,

Phil

8641F89F-BFD5-40BD-89F2-0B7DDADC9B32.jpegI used this years ago to deploy a streamer on the MMT and pull a cord attached to the main. The cord had enough of a knot on the end to pull the main but not stay attached to the MMT.

This is awesome. Looks a lot like the Fat Man, very impressive! How did you shape the main body w/such a nice rounded shape?
This was built using a large plastic easter egg. I found a 16" egg on ebay, which is about right. Added to my build pile.
I plan on using a 98mm airframe inside, where the engine section ejects aft, pulling the parachute with it. Should fly on a two grain 38mm motor to 1500 ft, but it should be a fast burner (White Thunder) to get it flying straight. And it needs about a pound of nose weight to make it stable.
Let me know if you want the rocksim file. Never flown, so no guarantees.....

Sorry @ghostfather I originally meant the question for @PSLimo but I got distracted and never hit the right button. However, I am very grateful for your answer, the plastic easter egg idea is brilliant. Maybe there are some leftover eggs on clearance right now...

Hi Joshua,

Just got your message.

I also used a large plastic egg and it was a replica of the Fat man.
FM.JPG.jpg
IMAG1528.jpg

Last edited:
This was built using a large plastic easter egg. I found a 16" egg on ebay, which is about right. Added to my build pile.
I plan on using a 98mm airframe inside, where the engine section ejects aft, pulling the parachute with it. Should fly on a two grain 38mm motor to 1500 ft, but it should be a fast burner (White Thunder) to get it flying straight. And it needs about a pound of nose weight to make it stable.
Let me know if you want the rocksim file. Never flown, so no guarantees.....

How did you do an accurate "egg shape" in Rocksim ?

Dave F.

How did you do an accurate "egg shape" in Rocksim ?
The egg separates in the middle, so I've got a nose cone and tail cone. Just measure the diameter at the "equator" and the height, enter them as an elliptical nose cone in Rocksim. The bottom section is more pointed, but still elliptical. A tail cone section from the "equator" down to the bottom, with a fictitious diameter of 0.01, and you've got the general egg shape and dimensions.
Adding the interior 98mm airframe for parachute and motor section meant approximating where the cut would be, and shortening the tail cone, keeping the original shape as much as possible. Good enough for a sim.
Tried parabolic instead of elliptical, but they come out too pointy. Elliptical works for me, but you'll have to ask the chicken which formula she uses.

The egg separates in the middle, so I've got a nose cone and tail cone. Just measure the diameter at the "equator" and the height, enter them as an elliptical nose cone in Rocksim. The bottom section is more pointed, but still elliptical. A tail cone section from the "equator" down to the bottom, with a fictitious diameter of 0.01, and you've got the general egg shape and dimensions.
Adding the interior 98mm airframe for parachute and motor section meant approximating where the cut would be, and shortening the tail cone, keeping the original shape as much as possible. Good enough for a sim.
Tried parabolic instead of elliptical, but they come out too pointy. Elliptical works for me, but you'll have to ask the chicken which formula she uses.

OK . . . Now, I see.

Thanks !

Dave F.

Back