Quantcast

Bomb Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The length gives it a very arial torpedo look to me...

Here is a picture of my take on a 500lb bomb. 35" long, 56 ounces. Body is 4" tube.

Senior Space Cadet

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
3D printed NC and transition. The rest is LOC tube. Small tube is MMT. It will blow out and come down on a streamer and pull main out with it. Bomb will come down nose first.
I like it. I've been thinking about using that fin design on a rocket, without the rest of the bomb look.
I was watching a show, the other day, about the problems they were having getting one of the atomic bombs, that they dropped on Japan, to stabilize. I think, what they came up with, was called the California parachute or something like that.

Aeronerd

LPR, Gliderholic
Reaction score
3D printed NC and transition. The rest is LOC tube. Small tube is MMT. It will blow out and come down on a streamer and pull main out with it. Bomb will come down nose first.
Very very cool! Really like the decals. Makes it look so authentic.

Kelly

Usually remembers to get the pointy end up
Reaction score
Would hate to get pulled over on the way to a launch and have to explain something like that!

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Put a brightly colored chute on it, otherwise it’s gonna be a PITB to find in the weeds.

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yuppers, gonna be neon orange from Top Flight. Streamer will be the same.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
How unusual!!!
A Bomb with a Parachute?
Unless it was a remote steerable chute, it will certainly drift off target!
This is just begging for rear ejection!
Nice Job Sir, I like it very much!
Have fun flying it.

ghostfather

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I made something similar in 4" phenolic a few years back, but shorter. The square tail was a challenge to get right.
Mine had a red button on the end of the nose, so it was more iconic than real-life. Can't find the launch photo's, but here's the rocksim 3D rendering. Was painted light-medium grey.
la bombe 3d.jpg
la bombe logo.jpg

Used a WW2-inspired pinup as logo, laser printed as a transparent sticker.

Ez2cDave

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
On a humorous note: Imagine if the ejection charge fails and it nose dives into someone's front yard. :cool:
On another humorous note, take it to the Airport and give the TSA a "thrill" . . . LOL !

Dave F.

heada

Reaction score

Currently sold out but still a very nice looking kit.

Arsenal78

Reaction score
Were the nose and transition pieces something you designed or found? I can't seem to find anything online. I've been wanting to do a smallish bomb rocket for our low power field. I'm assuming the fin pieces are balsa?

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Woody, if you look at the pics, the 2nd one is of the MMT. It is rear eject. MMT will come down on a streamer

Crazyrocket

Reaction score

Currently sold out but still a very nice looking kit.
I bought one about 6 months ago. Waiting to fly it. Hopefully in the next few weeks!

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have had no issues with a draggy square fincan on my 8" Fat Man build with the largest motor flown being an H225. Stability required half of the 3 lb rockets weight being in the nose. Rear ejection is a cool look on the way down.

View attachment 440536
Hi PS. I am scratching my head on how to make sure the main comes out. Can you describe what you did? Or post a pic or 2? Thanks, Dave.

PSLimo

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I'm not the best at describing but I'll give it a shot with pic's. This is what it looks like on the way up and down:

bomblaunch.jpg

fatman.jpg

The insides on your 5.5 tube build would require a 5.5" coupler tube the length of the longest motor you're planning on using for rear ejection. I mounted the timer on the motor mount tube inside of the coupler tube. Then you need a piece of coupler tube stop so the motor doesn't crush everything on the way up. You can see it inside the main tube here:

bombrecovery.jpg

Here's how the chute is packed. It looks different stretched out but the chute's actually very close to the motor ejected pod with lots of Kevlar behind it so it has to come out:

bombtube.jpg

The chute protector isn't in the pic. Very simple and fool proof rear ejection for a bomb. I hope this helps your build.

Phil