Bomarc nose color

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

locodad

Reaction score
Anybody know exactly what color the nose of the black and white painted test flight Bomarcs was? It seems to be somewhere in the red/maroon/copper range but I would like to pin down an accurate color. I'm getting ready to finish a rare Empire 1/12th scale Bomarc (actually delivered!) that has been test flown twice, unpainted. Madcow supplied the decals and I'm hoping the weather warms so I can paint soon. :)

The Bomarc is my very favorite Scale subject: I've done extensive research on them over the last couple decades. Bomarc Radomes are a phenolic resin, sort of brownish/yellowish mottled with tiny darker brown and white tiny high lights. it's a nearly impossible "color" to match.
For all of my various Scale Bomarc's I alway go with a metallic copper radome. They've won plenty of Scale and Sportscale local and regional NAR competitions with these colorings, it's my belief it's about the best compromise we're going to make;)
Hope this composite Flt #14 photo helps in your Scale packet:)

Last edited:
The phenolic radome material (Micarta) was a light colored fabric impregnated with a brown-red resin that appeared different depending on the lighting, but it looks like Micro came up with the best compromise. Here's a shot of a different scheme taken in '72 at McGuire AFB.

scan002.jpg

Back