Body Tube Cleaning?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weekends

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good techniques for cleaning the outside of dirty body tubes?

I usually use a clear coat of Krylon paint over my models. Especially with my white body tubes (LOC Viper III, LOC Onyx, and Aerotech HVArcas) the body tubes get black smudges on them. It's not dirt but residue from burnt black powder.

Anyhoo, I tried regular glass clean and paper towel with little results. I don't want to use anything too harsh for fear of ruiing the paint. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Weekends

I usually keep some baby wipes with me at when I launch. They usually do a pretty decent job on finger prints. I aways just rub a little spot first to make sure it's not gonna take the paint off!

I would tend to use a cloth over a paper towel just because cloth is usually softer.

Just to add to the previous poster, make sure you use the babywipes as soon as possible after getting back to camp. It's much easier to clean off, including the powder burns of the deployment charges. I usually take a small pack of wipes out into the field so that I can clean it up on the spot.

Eric F.

Originally posted by Weekends
Does anyone have any good techniques for cleaning the outside of dirty body tubes?

The most effective and frequently easiest is another coat of paint.

Back