Bob's Big Boy Ride

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by LaneKG
I saw the pic of a Big Boy Rocket in Sport Rocketry. Here is my attempt on a BT 60 Booster. I'll try it out on Oct 9th at the SEARS 572 launch in Samson AL. I am looking at D, E and F launches. Any predictions?

The nose isn't balanced. I think it'll arc towards the burger side. If there's wind, launch it with the burger on the downwind side.

"You say you want that order to go? IT'S GONE!" -- Gallagher

I think it all depends on if there are pickles on the burger?
Looks nice.

Thanks for replies.

I wonder if spin would be benefical with an unblanced nose?

Greg

Thanks for replies.

I wonder if spin would be benefical with an unblanced nose?

Greg

Ok, I *know* this isn't what you meant, but **really** :D this is the first thought that came to mind...

would be *way* kewl if you put a little motor under Big Boy to make HIM spin... LOL

Originally posted by jflis
Ok, I *know* this isn't what you meant, but **really** :D this is the first thought that came to mind...

would be *way* kewl if you put a little motor under Big Boy to make HIM spin... LOL

Maybe canted fins would do the trick. He'd spin.

Well hopefully an actual flight will reveal if there is a significant problem with the hamburger. If so it would be the known as the "hambuger effect" and could open new chapter in rocket science.

Greg

I forgot to say that the components on the Big Boy Ride are from Fliskits. Except for the fins which are Basswood from Michaels.

I did use RockSim. You'll find doing a Big Boy quite challenging.

Kewl I bet.

Greg

Rick & Bubba would love to have a Big Boy rocket to fly off of Big Boy bluff.

Well hopefully an actual flight will reveal if there is a significant problem with the hamburger. If so it would be the known as the "hambuger effect" and could open new chapter in rocket science.

Greg

Greg:
First what a great Odd-Roc.. I'm always looking for really cool Odd-Roc projects. However that said.....
Where will you be conducting your "Test" flight? As Dyan pointed out your model is asymmetric it will arc in the direction of the burger...this isn't an "if" it will arc. If you intend on flight testing this model PLEASE please.. do it in private with as few other people around as possible. Everything in free flight happens around the CG, offset additions forward or aft will effect the fight path to that side of the model. This is a result of fluid dynamics in this case Air density. Wiill this model arc Positively! how much it will arc..will depend on the moment arm distance between CG and the DRAG Object. the longer the moment arm the less the arc. But it will arc unless you add an offsetting drag mass to the other side. This goes for big honkin "shuttle" parasite gliders slung on one side of a booster also. The shorter the booster the more pronounced the ARC or in some cases a hard 90 degree turn.

The big thing here I guess is if in doubt, DO NOT launch any iffy model at a pubic launch. I recently saw such a model as this cause an injury...Safety First!

MIcro,

OK I will be at a SEARS launch. I guess I can go with the away cell or go down to the other end of the sod farm. The CG is pretty close to the front as the Big Boy is a hefty dude.

I did see a Big Boy rocket in sport rocketry. It was a longer rocket than mine.

Thanks for the heads up.

Greg

All,

I flew the Bob's Big Boy at the SEARS 572 launch last Saturday. I got an OK from the RSO and we made it a heads up flight. The first flight was on a D12-3. Interesting flight but the delay of 3 seconds is long (only 30 or so feet AGL at ejection) so that means D12-3 is not enough motor. We did not have an excessive arc, but I can tell that there was a tendency to favor the direction of the burger. I believe that the twirl in Big Boys hair caused a slight spin which averaged out the burger effect. The second launch was on a F21-6. This was a great flight but perhaps the delay is a tad long. I am thinking a F21-4 would be better.

I would use lots of caution with this rocket (always heads up) and use a motor beyond a D12 or E9. I am thinking about introducing some intentional spin to help stablize the trajectory the next go around.

In any case Big Boy captures everyone's attention and makes some pretty good launch pics. Here are the pics https://sears572.com/gallery/BBB The 7th picture on is from the Oct 9th launch.

Try slide show at https://sears572.com/gallery/slideshow.php?set_albumName=BBB

My favorite is at https://sears572.com/gallery/BBB/2004_10_09_042

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,

Really cool rocket!

Just be aware that spinning an assymetric rocket may make stability issues worse, not better.

Imagine a toy gyroscope with a penny glued on the rim. Then imagine the same gyroscope with the penny glued to a piece of wire one centimeter above the rim.

The further from the axis of spin, and the further from the CG, the worse the effect will be.

Instead of a gentle arc, you may get a widening corkscrew.

I may just leave him alone. He spins some already.

Thanks,

Greg

Some people will fly anything! :D

This sure brings back memories of when I worked for JB's Big Boy in Utah! Once a month the local frat house(s) would still the Big Boy statue and we'd haveta go find him!

Forgot what they call that "swirl" of hair like Big Boy and Ronald Reagan (rest in peace)?

99d37666-8000-443f-9703-fc8f5a3fdf01_text.gif

Back