Boat tail question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur dent

Reaction score
I want to build a boattail to go from BT80 down to BT70.Can anyone give me any pointers on how to make a template please.

That's easy.

Go to EMRR. On the left side of the page, click on "tools". Then click on "shroud calculator"

Or just go directly here.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/tool_shroud.shtml

Punch in you dimensions, keep 'em the same like all in inches.

2.6" for the BT-80, 2.217" for the BT-70 and however long you want it, say 2". The just click on "calculate".

Use the results to draw it out on paper, cut it out but leave an overlap to glue and "Bob's your uncle".

sandman

The Template Widget will actually print a shroud template or fin alignment guide to your specification.

https://www.42nd-dimension.com/rocketry/templates.html

If you run Win XP you may need an additional file to run the program. "TABCTL32.OCX" is apparently not included in XP for some reason. I did a google search for it, downloaded the file and dropped it into C:/Windows/system32 and it works now. Installing this file did not effect anything else in the computer, as far as I can tell.

There is also a freeware version of RocketCAD-4 out there that will do very nice shroud patterns and motor/cluster/centering rings.
Template wigdet is also good.

Originally posted by sandman
... and "Bob's your uncle".

sandman
Funny you mention that term Sandman. A co-worker used that very phrase today and we had quite a laugh reminiscing over different "quips". Hope this one isn't rude but, have you ever heard the term "Christ on a bike" before? I believe it's from across the pond.

My vote is for cardstock/posterboard/thin cardboard, soaked in thin CA.

for low and most mid sized stuff.........go to walmart
find and purchace a pack of Georgia Pacific 110# cardstock
it's 150 sheets for around $4.00.Its also great for printing fin templates.or making nosecone mods or canopies.....It's also perfect for flying or static cardstock models such as Fliskits free Midnight express download

sorry Author

just realised your across the pond

go to the nearest place "like" Walmart

aurthur,

You might have trouble finding a Wal-Mart in the U.K. Just try a stationary store.

LOL

But 110# stock is what I use.

sandman

Originally posted by stymye
sorry Author

just realised your across the pond

go to the nearest place "like" Walmart

haha the nearest that we have to a walmart would be a erm..........walmart..Yep you guessed it walmart bought out one of our large super market chains.They don't carry rocket supplies though..not yet:D :D

I wouldn't be too worried about the weight. Try various free sources of cardboard, you may find something that works. If not, most any card stock will.

Back