BMS-Mini Bomarc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee - I still got my original that I built back in 1974! Might want to build another so I don't have to fly my vintage bird! :D

I just got the e-mail from Bill! I still have my original Mini Bomarc but went ahead and ordered 3 of the new 'clones'...lol..

Very neat!
I'm still flying my original mini, and a scratch Scale 13mm clone with FX smokers used in the ram-jets. corse I alway preferred the black & white Experimental US colors to the Canadian or US Grey operational color scheme.
I seem to recall having at least one more mini Bomarc still in the bag as well.

146-b1-sm_Mini Gliding Bomarc 3 pic last Flt_02-19-94.jpg

047-b2d-sm_Mini Bomarc 3 pic Flight_06-20-92.jpg

Geez,

The last thing I need is another rocket in my build stack!

Well I have to get 2.

Grumble grumble

So I take it we're talking 13mm eh? Just didn't see it listed on his website.

I'd hate to pass up on something like this, even though I prefer larger.

Great! And since I can never just order one thing (I always feel the need to amortize that shipping over lots of stuff!), I'll no doubt order lots of parts to add to the already full box of lots of parts.

Gee - I still got my original that I built back in 1974! Might want to build another so I don't have to fly my vintage bird! :D
I also rarely fly my original from the same time period, though it does still fly. Definitely going to order one of these, thanks for posting it less gravity.

AlienInvader.JPG

Last edited:
Does anyone have the recommended motors list for this bird? It's not on JimZ's plan scans.

This might make me break my promise of not buying any new kits this year...

Does anyone have the recommended motors list for this bird? It's not on JimZ's plan scans.

This might make me break my promise of not buying any new kits this year...

From the Estes 1972 catalog: 1/2A3-2T & A3-4T. I suspect the A10-3T should work, too.

A3-4T is my preferred motor, A10-3T ejects with the model still going up at a pretty good clip. 1/2A3-2T is really a waste unless your in a very very small parking lot type field.

Yes, I thought about that (the A10-3T) after I made that post, but didn't
have time to go back and correct myself since I had to go back to work. Probably flying the Mini-Bomarc on the A10-3T would be like launching my FSI Black Brant - II on the AT E30-4T.....:eek: (see my EMRR OOP review
for some details) :eek:

A3-4T is my preferred motor, A10-3T ejects with the model still going up at a pretty good clip. 1/2A3-2T is really a waste unless your in a very very small parking lot type field.
Agreed - a fair amount of nose weight is needed on this model to make it stable, IIRC, it used 2 NCW-1 lead weights at the base of the NC.

Wow one of my favorite oldies. Time to warm up the credit card.

John

Thanks, fellas - looks like the A3-4T is the weapon of choice. Off to order one...

Gotta have it! Too much bother/expense/risk to lug out my Madcow Bomarc or even to fly my vintage Estes Bomarc 1.3".

I can sure agree with what your saying about the hassle!
flying my 3D Clustered 13.25 Scale Bomarc, or even finising the Standard Gliding 26ths scale model just seem like a lot more work and trouble when we can pull out one of these 13mm beauties or smaller to fly almost instantly:)

Got to fly my Micro 124.55 scale Bomarc last weekend. as usual a fine flight... They are a wondful sight regardless of size.

077b2d-sm_Bomarc 13.25 3pic Flt_ECRM-18_04-28-91.jpg

MM 225Lp08c-sm_Bomarc 2pic 8th Flt_01-18-09.jpg

My two Mini-Bomarc models arrived from BMS, today.

They look very nice.:)

Have you started building yet? I have a question about the 1st step.
On the NOTE sheet of instructions, you are asked to glue the 3/16 half round
to a strip of bass wood. Why? The half round fits the cut out on the tail
without the extra strip. JIMZ instructions don't show the strip at all.

I'm so confused. :eek:

Have you started building yet? I have a question about the 1st step.
On the NOTE sheet of instructions, you are asked to glue the 3/16 half round
to a strip of bass wood. Why? The half round fits the cut out on the tail
without the extra strip. JIMZ instructions don't show the strip at all.

I'm so confused. :eek:

Mike:
It's been a long time but I believe it's to increase the overall height of the wireway tunnel. Your vertical tail sits atop both pieces.

Well, I got my big box from BMS Friday! ..I had forgotten I had ordered 3 of these little guys!..Anyhow, I decided to go ahead and put one together over the weekend..I just got finished putting it together tonight as I watched the race..Neat little model! Only modification I have done so far was to paper the fins and pod stand offs..After building I took it and compared it to the 'original' I resurrected a little over a year ago..Must say, I do a much better job now then I did then!..LOL..
So, here are a few pictures! First 3 are of the BMS clone and then with it next to the 30+ year old original(which I 'tried' adding the conduit to by using a small dowel)..

Mini Bomarc 001.jpg

Mini Bomarc 002.jpg

Mini Bomarc 003.jpg

Mini Bomarc 004.jpg

Mini Bomarc 006.jpg

Wow, Pantherjon, your builds look great (and work space sure looks neat compared to mine!) :D .

Can anyone who has the BMS kit tell me the thickness of the "shaped balsa" (Part O on the original instructions-- the top part of the tunnel) is? I had ordered part from Semroc to build a Mini-Bomarc before BMS came out with their kit.

Thanks,
DeWain

Mine showed up yesterday and I can't wait to get started. I'll have to go to the Air Force Museum and get an up close view for inspiration...

Mine showed up yesterday and I can't wait to get started. I'll have to go to the Air Force Museum and get an up close view for inspiration...

Is the Bomarc back on display? A couple summers ago they had taken it down. I think I heard that it was being restored after all that time outside.

Back