BMS 29mm School Rocket Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kits would fit that bill or what company should I look at. I had just been looking at Mach 1, Just not sure what fits that size and never built a fiberglass rocket before.

Any Estes rocket that is larger than the motor will have a 'motor mount' set-up. Literally, if the rocket has an 18mm motor and the body tube is bigger than BT-20 (roughly 3/4") or if it has a 24mm motor and is bigger than BT-50 (just under 1"), then it will have centering rings and a motor tube etc. Alan R's suggestion to get a 2" or 2.6" (BT-80) rocket would address this form of construction.

There is zero need to discuss fiberglass rockets etc. if you are concerned about keeping costs down and have only flown LPR rockets that are minimum diameter (i.e. the outside tube is the same size as the motor).

At this stage, I would say just buy 5 Estes rockets that have motors smaller than the main body tube, buy a handful of motors recommended on the packaging, build per instructions and go to one of the clubs you've identified and fly them. You will spend less money and will learn a lot.

Sandy.

Any Estes rocket that is larger than the motor will have a 'motor mount' set-up. Literally, if the rocket has an 18mm motor and the body tube is bigger than BT-20 (roughly 3/4") or if it has a 24mm motor and is bigger than BT-50 (just under 1"), then it will have centering rings and a motor tube etc. Alan R's suggestion to get a 2" or 2.6" (BT-80) rocket would address this form of construction.

There is zero need to discuss fiberglass rockets etc. if you are concerned about keeping costs down and have only flown LPR rockets that are minimum diameter (i.e. the outside tube is the same size as the motor).

At this stage, I would say just buy 5 Estes rockets that have motors smaller than the main body tube, buy a handful of motors recommended on the packaging, build per instructions and go to one of the clubs you've identified and fly them. You will spend less money and will learn a lot.

Sandy.
What is a good site to find them? Estes site does not list them by size. They just have skill level needed to assemble the kit. You click on the rocket it does not even tell you what motor it uses or any information besides how much.

What is a good site to find them? Estes site does not list them by size. They just have skill level needed to assemble the kit. You click on the rocket it does not even tell you what motor it uses or any information besides how much.
Of course it does. E.g. Der Big Red Max:
1638146007413.png

Last edited:
Did you use the whole extension for the 29mm School Rocket?
If so, where was the new center of pressure?
I have the payload bay extension but haven't added it yet.
Here is the OpenRocket file of exteded BT + payload bay to see CG & CP. CP move forward about 24cm when payload added.

Attachments

• BMS_3_inch_school_rocket_29_EXT_Payload.ork
    320.1 KB · Views: 9
What kits would fit that bill or what company should I look at. I had just been looking at Mach 1, Just not sure what fits that size and never built a fiberglass rocket before.
Estes, Loc Precision, Madcow Rocketry, Apogee ... and who said anything about fiberglass?

Was said in another thread I started looking for low power kits.

Anyway I think I will go with https://www.mach1rocketry.com/product-page/micro-mamba-bt20-minimum-diameter. Yes it is fiberglass but looks like a good quality kit and not very expensive.

Please state, in order, what your goals are. At this point, you've made 50 posts in 4 days and have gone from a LOC IV for HPR certification but not sure how to build a motor mount all the way to a minimum diameter fiberglass kit, which (by definition) doesn't have a motor mount.

Sandy.

Guess I wanted to fly something that you have to build the motor mount setup instead of all being the same tube. Thanks for answering my questions.
Anyway I think I will go with https://www.mach1rocketry.com/product-page/micro-mamba-bt20-minimum-diameter. Yes it is fiberglass but looks like a good quality kit and not very expensive.
These two statements do not add up. The Micro Mamba is a minimum diameter rocket that will have no separate motor mount.

Please state, in order, what your goals are. At this point, you've made 50 posts in 4 days and have gone from a LOC IV for HPR certification but not sure how to build a motor mount all the way to a minimum diameter fiberglass kit, which (by definition) doesn't have a motor mount.

Sandy.
I know what my goals are in long term I still plan on getting a LOC IV for HPR cert. Also want low power rockets to be able to launch more and not costing a ton of money to do so. Also some of my direction on here has been pushed one way or another by people who have responded to my posts. Yes a lot of posts also trying to gain more information.

Very sorry if I am pretty active and have been posting a lot and asking questions and changing as I have learned more.

These two statements do not add up. The Micro Mamba is a minimum diameter rocket that will have no separate motor mount.
I can change my mind!

Guess I really do not want to look though lots and lots of Estes rockets to find ones that fit exactly what I am looking for.

I can change my mind!

Guess I really do not want to look though lots and lots of Estes rockets to find ones that fit exactly what I am looking for.

If you don't want to look at the Estes catalog, then I'm not sure why you want to fly rockets. I bet most in the hobby, looked at the Estes offerings and had dreams of making something like that, bigger, smaller or whatever. It was a source of inspiration for many. Not sure I have anything more to add, so best of luck with your plans.

Sandy.

If you don't want to look at the Estes catalog, then I'm not sure why you want to fly rockets. I bet most in the hobby, looked at the Estes offerings and had dreams of making something like that, bigger, smaller or whatever. It was a source of inspiration for many. Not sure I have anything more to add, so best of luck with your plans.

Sandy.
Not that I do not want to look at the Estes Catalog, I do not want to have to look at 70+ kits to find the ones that match what I am looking for. Not like I can search for the ones that are bigger then 2 inches for the main tube. Most of them do not have motor mounts and just the main tube.

Most of them do not have motor mounts and just the main tube.
I don't know why you think this. Most Estes rockets have motor mounts. And also you have chosen a minimum diameter rocket without a motor mount, so I am still confused where your preferences lie.

Anyway, I have participated in this thread hijack long enough. Suggest to continue this discussion elsewhere.

I don't know why you think this. Most Estes rockets have motor mounts. And also you have chosen a minimum diameter rocket without a motor mount, so I am still confused where your preferences lie.

Anyway, I have participated in this thread hijack long enough. Suggest to continue this discussion elsewhere.
Sorry I was just asking questions and you have to be down right RUDE AND NASTY. Is this how you treat people who wish to get into the hobby and ask a lot of questions but instead think I am lying for some reason.

Sorry I was just asking questions and you have to be down right RUDE AND NASTY. Is this how you treat people who wish to get into the hobby and ask a lot of questions but instead think I am lying for some reason.
Hoo boy.

My final comment here: this is @Alan R's build thread. Your questions are fine but off topic of this thread and are best addressed elsewhere (which is to say, start a new thread or whatever).

Hoo boy.

My final comment here: this is @Alan R's build thread. Your questions are fine but off topic of this thread and are best addressed elsewhere (which is to say, start a new thread or whatever).
I started here with questions on the 29mm School rocket and the conversation strayed from there. The OP @Alan R Never asked me to stop and was very polite in answering my questions. Just do not understand why you felt to get confrontational with me.

Plenty of things most you know and take for granted someone new just has no idea about.

I started here with questions on the 29mm School rocket and the conversation strayed from there. The OP @Alan R Never asked me to stop and was very polite in answering my questions. Just do not understand why you felt to get confrontational with me.
Your questions weren't a problem until you started asking questions that could be googled on your own.
As for the other statement you made:
I do not want to have to look at 70+ kits to find the ones that match what I am looking for. Not like I can search for the ones that are bigger then 2 inches for the main tube.
If you go look at Apogee (and LOC, and Madcow) you will find exactly what you're looking for: lists of rockets by size, and motor size, etc. -- I suggested these sites earlier and it sounds like you didn't even bother to look.

Last edited:
Your questions weren't a problem until you started asking questions that could be googled on your own.
As for the other statement you made:

If you go look at Apogee (and LOC, and Madcow) you will find exactly what you're looking for: lists of rockets by size, and motor size, etc. -- I suggested these sites earlier and it sounds like you didn't even bother to look.

Yes some of these sites list them by size but I was being told to look at Estes and those are not listed by size. You can only look them up by skill level and that is by how hard they are to build not based on power level or size or anything like that.

Maybe some things are obvious to you and some others but might not be to me or someone totally new. Plus no one even suggested in this thread to look at Apogee, LOC or even Madcow.

Just trying to learn and get involved in Model rocketry again. Plus god know not everything you find on google is always right information.

I suggested those earlier. You didnt read or didnt look.
I Believe I missed that, Very sorry and thank you very much for the information. I know I can look but getting ideas from what other more experienced flyers have built and flown can be a very helpful thing to go in the right direction.

HARD TO TELL TONE FROM A COMPUTER SCREEN ALONE, BEST NOT TO ASSUME SOMEONE IS SHOUTING WHEN THEY MAY HAVE JUST ACCIDENTALLY HAD CAPS LOCK ON. oops, sorry about that.

Lots of thread hijacks happen here all the time, no reason to dogpile on you for that here.

The suggestion might have been made in a nicer kinder gentler way, but you might get more specific help in your own new topic thread, and when you get several answers to one of your questions in another thread, you should maybe respond in that same thread so that folks know if you found their responses helpful or not. It is a two-way conversation. Okay to change your mind, just as long as the helpful folks here know you are exploring and discovering and comparing options, rather than focusing on one particular thing. Sort of expected that you do actually read the responses to a question before you ask the same question or missed or maybe ignored a prior answer. We don't get paid here to help you, but do so out of the kindness of our hearts and the small reward that we maybe helped another rocketeer on their learning journey to participate in the hobby in a safe and satisfying manner. On the contrary, some folks actually donate their own hard earned cash to the forum to keep it running and perhaps feel like maybe they own the place?

When I started rocketry, the on-line catalogs, who am I kidding, there was no internet when I started rocketry, the mail-order printed paper catalogs were full of detailed specs that were really helpful in comparing kits and as reference information when designing your own similar sized models. Finding some of those details take a few extra clicks now, but maybe use that as a challenge to make your own list of kits you are interested in and start tracking down their weight, length, diameter, motor size, etc. You will start to see some similarities very quickly and learn how to come up with alternatives.

Good Luck, and now, TAKE THIS THREAD TO CUBA!

Last edited:
Nice build thread. I have looked at that kit for a while.
Was putting in a motor order to BMS and decided to buy this kit. Getting the extended body and the payload section.

I will be building an ebay for dual deploy.

Once I get the kit I'll do an open rocket model for simulations.
Do you have an OR file for this? If not I can post one here in a couple of weeks.
[/QUOTE
Did the body tube with the payload section measure 45-1/4 inch long? No measurement for the nosecone here
If so, where was the center of pressure measured from the aft end of the body tube??
Open rocket does not work for me

Did the body tube with the payload section measure 45-1/4 inch long? No measurement for the nosecone here
If so, where was the center of pressure measured from the aft end of the body tube??
Open rocket does not work for me

Nosecone is 11" w/shoulder - 8" outside.
as for your other questions... here's a pic of OR, I just replaced the BT with the full 34" and one with 34" and payload bay (11.3"). Good enough for a rough idea.
bms34.jpg

Attachments

• bms34wpayload.jpg
    bms34wpayload.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 17
Back