Blurz Rocket Car

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbeckey

Reaction score
I saw a couple Blurz rocket cars at WalMart Super Center today. Also had some of the A10PT motors.

My Walmart is pretty lame when it comes to rocketry. I usually stop by every week or so for supplies, and it's the same old thing. 3 Packs of B4-4's and six kits...all RTF. It's been the same all summer!:kill:

the local Wall-Mart has the same stuff also, but I do buy the motors there.

They sometimes have great prices on motors! You may have seen my post about getting 13 packs of C6-5's for $3.00 a piece!!! Love it!

Loopy

I saw those cars and have gave a lot of though about picking up one to fool with. My thoughts are I don't have 90 feet to run one on. Do you think adding weight to the cars, you could run on a shoter track?

I ordered my Cars and motors from AtoZ. I'll see them this week. Wait for the review on EMRR!

Nick

What I want to know is: will these A10-"PT"s become a useable replacement for the late lamented A10-0Ts???

and I'll buy motors at WM, too. Even at $5, they're still two-three bucks cheaper than the hobby stores.

Since the -PTs are plugged they won't ignite an upper stage motor...unless you remove the plug. Illegal at sanctioned launches.

silverado, do you go the one in Husdon (right near my house). If so, I have been there and their selection is pretty bad. There is another one in Northboro though...I wonder what they have.

Here you go folks, the first Review of the Estes Blurz Rocket Car.

I went to Wal-Mart looking for those new Estes Military kits. They did not have them, but I noticed this attractive box on the self. It is for the new Estes Blurz Rocket Powered Racer. The box had a hologram of the racer in action with a button under it, so I pushed it. The sound of racecars filled the toy section, and the announcer said

Race at the speed of sound with Estes Rocket Powered Racers!
Estes Rocket Powered Racers are super fast, run down 90 feet of track, and stops with a parachute!
You can race alone, or side by side with friends!

At first I was a little skeptical. How well does this work? How safe is it? Is it worth the $20 Wal-Mart wants for it? I decided to give it a try, for the sake of the rocketry forum. What! Only two motors... better grab a couple packs of A10-PT motors.

When I got home and opened up the box, I said to myself, what is this tangled mess? The motor mount, parachute, shock absorber was attached to the string, and both ends of the string was connected to a halve of the plastic container used as the case. Also, the launch controller is tied to the base of the case. I was concerned that it would be very easy to get everything in a huge tangled mess.

Enough worrying, time to get this thing set up. This is the first rocket set that I actually had to read the instructions, and keep referencing them to figure out how this is supposed to be set up. Here is how the setup works. The halve of the plastic case with the controller connected to it is obviously the starting point. I place that on the driveway and start unwinding the string from the lid of the case as I walk towards the other end. Once the string ends, I place the lid on the ground and secure it with a rock (instructions say to used a full soda bottle). The plastic bumper is placed against the lid, just in case the car makes it this far. The handle of the carry case is then placed about 15ft from the ending point, and the small parachute is placed in the grip of the handle. Finally, I went back to the starting point, and pulled on it till the string was nice and taut. I secured the base with another rock.

Prepping the car is a bit tricky, but after shooting the car off six times, I got this procedure down to a fine art. Turn the car upside down and slip the string through the forward guide. Give the string some slack, and take the motor mount, and install an A10-PT motor. I then install the igniter and the green igniter plug, bend the igniter leads in a 90 degree angle towards where the top of the car is. Then, squeezing the two tabs on the motor mount, I mate the motor with the car, making sure the tabs snap in place. Then I bend the igniter back, making it easier to connect the igniter clips. I decided not to use the Estes controller, opting for my 12vt relay system instead. After connecting the igniters, making sure that the igniter leads don’t short with each other and the axel of the rear wheel. Once the car is set up, I pulled on the base to make the string taut again. My racer is now ready to race.

My Mom saw me setting up in the driveway, and came outside and ask if I bought a new toy? I admitted my shortcomings. She watched the first run (video). Next thing I know… she wants to push the launch button!!! So I let her try, but the rocket burned through the string (Video). What happened was my fault. I place the base on the ground upside down, causing the string to become closer to the flame. I fixed the problem for the next launch, which gave me a good video of the racer coming to a stop in front of the camera.

My mom left the sceen to check on dinner, but I stayed outside to drive the car three more times. I got great video coverage of two of the runs, running the string between the legs of the tripod. Here is a video of the racer coming towards the camera, and a shot of the racer going away from the camera.

Doug,
what triggers the chute ? . in the videos It looks like the car smacks something than the chute pops out the front? LOL !!

Heh. Nice vids, Doug. Your mom is hilarious. The rocket car looks fun, but if I did one, it'd be my own design (not to mention it would have MORE POWER!). I've always wondered about doing one of those, but have the motor kick the 'chute. Muy
neato nonetheless.

Back