Blue Variable - 38mm K627 Altitude Record Attempt - My Failure

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charrington

The Biologist
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I am here to do a build thread / flight report of my 38mm K627 that I flew at NSL west in an attempt to beat the K altitude record. The rocket reached an altitude of over 32,000 ft AGL but was lost as the GPS was damaged during the recovery event at apogee. This was five years in the making and a lot was learned. I am very sad that the rocket is gone but I will be making another attempt. This is going to be very long winded and drawn out and I apologize in advance.

To start I will drop these here:

Blue Variable Flight 1.PNG

1685678029909.png

Attachments

• bluevariableme.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 3
Before we get into the weeds there are a few people I wanted to thank:

@Loki Research for being so responsive and helpful when it came to getting me the motor and answering any and all questions I had about it. Scott really does make an amazing product and has the customer service every company should be aiming for. Plus... badass and powerful motors in small sizes!

@Adrian A has the attitude of any of the best altitude chasers. I truly believe that this flight cannot be done without the featherweight GPS and the blue raven (you will all see how tight the fit was). His products are always amazing and I cant wait to repurchase more lol!

@Glint manufacturing llc (oakland california) - Zack was able to cut my fins exactly how I wanted them out of the High modulus CF I delivered to him. 48 hour turn around and they were in my possession. If any of you are local to the bay area I would highly recommend checking him out. They have a normal CNC with vacuum chuck, 5 axis CNC, welding capabilities, etc.

Rocketman Parachutes - The ultralight high c.d. parachutes are my go to for these types of builds. Small and pack a punch.

TinderRocketry - Cameron's line cutters are another necessity for this flight profile and his products are stellar.

Mcmaster-Carr - Godbless your shipping times 🤣

I also wanted to thank my friends and family for supporting this addiction and wanting me to try again! My grandfather played a huge roll in getting the launch tower plates laser cut at his metal fabrication shop in Las Vegas, NV.

A big thanks to Ryan Emmenegger for coming out with me to the launch. I couldn't have done it without you.

Blue Variable - massive evolved stars that show unpredictable and sometimes dramatic variations in their spectra and brightness.

Blue Variable was the codename me and a fellow Cal Poly peer used for our propellant mixing adventures. During this time we didn't want to put a clubs name on our motors or igniters out of fear of academic persecution. A simple X, sometimes blue if we had the blue sharpie, was written on the items we produced. We mixed an H motor, I blew myself up (learn from an experienced prop maker, newbies), then we mixed two O motors and won FAR 1030. We also developed our own sparky long burn igniters for the campus liquid team which worked beautifully in igniting their engine over two years after we manufactured them. This formula is titled Serbian Spark and I plan on releasing it in the restricted area for anyone and everyone to use!
Static test:

Flight:

Liquid engine Igniters:

During this time I developed an obsession with a certain youtube video:

I wanted it. I wanted the speed, the acceleration, and the altitude. I wanted to beat the measly 24,000 ft our competition winning rocket went to on 1/5 of the size. I wanted to go higher and faster than any single stage 38mm motor has ever gone before so I started simulating.

...I wasn't great at simulating back then. Might I even say bad at it lol! I went with what I knew and designed something like the 38mm go devil I had purchased but not built yet. This is the same go devil from my two other recent threads. I didn't even know about Tripoli records back then to be honest. My original goal was to break 25,000 ft on a 38mm motor. So I came up with something like this (I no longer have the original file since the laptop that contained it has long been broken).

1685681543112.png

This obviously would not do so I played around with a few more designs which were also not great. Life ended up going crazy when the pandemic hit and I didn't think about rocketry for a couple years and that's when I decided to get my L2 and start really reading this forum. This forum is a treasure trove for rocketry incase any of you didn't know that already. Specifically, @watheyak 's L record thread - https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/mach-3-5-loki-l-altitude-record-attempt-build.163484/ . That was the eye opener for the direction I needed to go in. Scott thankfully talked me out of going with the flying case design and I took a lot of what he did in his attempt and implemented it in my design.

This led me to this barebones design:

1685681960958.png

That's more like it! I checked with RasAero and recieved a similar value (I think it was 36,000?). (Note: at this point I was hoping to launch at Delamar lake bed in NV so I was going a few thousand feet lower due to the denser altitude, The simulation shown above is set for NSL west 2023). Now it was go time but I ran into one huge issue... How the hell am I gonna fit a gps, altimeter, two batteries, an ejection charge, shock chord, parachute, and line cutter in a 38mm nosecone plus .25 inches of airframe? That is where I discovered @Adrian A 's thread on how he does just that - https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...-tracker-and-raven-into-a-38mm-av-bay.174254/
I went ahead and placed an order for the GPS and used it in both go devil flights with perfect success rates. Once the blue raven was released I ordered it along with the 29mm and 38mm AV bay.

I'll continue this thread tomorrow and get into structural things with the rocket (fins, body tube, etc.) where I got them and how much they cost. I might be able to get into the adjustable launch tower tomorrow too. It adjusts from 0mm up to a 54mm thin wall airframe with fins that have a span of the body diameter. For this I will upload the CAD files and DXFs for anyone looking to build their own or needs inspiration.

See y'all tomorrow!

So to start Ill post materials and where I purchased them. To start, here is the rocket (Ill do the tower later)
Airframe - https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/4116/5287T55
Fin material - https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/4114/5133N101
Nosecone - https://wildmanrocketry.com/collections/nosecone/products/fnc1-5-5-1-vk-fw-mt
Shock chord 350lb - https://www.mach1rocketry.com/product-page/kevlar-shock-cords
GPS - https://www.featherweightaltimeters.com/store/p22/Featherweight_GPS_Tracker_(upd).html
Altimeter Blue Raven - https://www.featherweightaltimeters.com/blue-raven-altimeter.html
AV bay 29mm - https://www.featherweightaltimeters.com/store/p7/Featherweight_Avionics_Bay.html
Motor hardware - https://lokiresearch.com/secure/storeDetail.asp?id=420200911144156
Motor - Loki k627
Superlube - for orings and greasing the phenolic liner
Eyebolt - https://lokiresearch.com/secure/storeDetail.asp?id=749618
Parachute Rocketman - 24 inch parachute ultra lightweight high cd 2.2, change out for 18 inch parachute cd 0.75 from vendor at launch site (more on this later)
Swivel 1500lbs - https://the-rocketman.com/hardware/
Line cutter Improved Piranha Tinder Rocketry -https://www.tinderrocketry.com/improved-piranha-line-cutter (more on this later)
ematches - https://csrocketry.com/recovery-supplies/ejection-supplies/firewire-electric-match.html
BP - https://csrocketry.com/recovery-supplies/ejection-supplies/schuetzen-black-powder.html
Motor igniter slim gem - http://www.quickburst.net/slim_gem_igniter.htm
shear pins - https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/3407/97263A705
epoxy (the secret sauce) - hysol e120HP with dispensing gun and mixing nozzles

I do not believe I am missing anything here except prep materials like sandpaper, acetone, etc.

I'm hoping that this build can be a place where people go when considering starting a minimum diameter journey. Its very fun and rewarding but it can be very frustrating. This specific build is not something I would recommend someone attempt for their first minimum diameter build either. If you want to utilize this build as a template to get started in MD then I would do a couple things differently.
1. Use heavier shock chord- maybe 700lb and also a harness. I really like the stuff I used from rocketman in my L2 build (also on this forum)
2. Go bigger - the airframe was just long enough to fit the shoulder of the nosecone plus 0.25 inches of space. I would probably recommend going with 32-34 inches of airframe instead of the 26.25 I did.
3. Use a sealed off dedicated Nosecone AV bay and fit the rest inside the airframe.
4. I may also recommend using a labrat rocketry MD motor retainer to be safe - https://www.labratrocketry.com/product-page/bare-minimum-diameter-retainer-38

If you want to push the boundaries then you will be opting out of these luxuries...

I saw you about to walk out with your I216 rocket, but you looked busy & I definitely understand being in the zone. I missed the launch, but heard it was a great flight. You got it, right?

Chapter 1: Design

As with any build, this is probably where you are going to spend most of your time. The design phase is where you will figure out your most basic weights, geometries, and flight profile. When I got serious into designing this project, it was based completely around the motor and the max altitude I could achieve. To preface this - I AM NOT an aerospace engineer or any engineer for that matter. I took two years of engineering courses and one of those years being aerospace focused. I had a change of heart and opted to pursue a degree in biology and am now a biological research laboratory technician. I may/will present incorrect information and I encourage anyone with the qualifications to correct me here and I will edit the false information promptly. My experience comes from 5+ years of rocketry clubs and reading materials. I don't have an ego and am always open to correction, just be kind and your message will be received well!​
The following design choices were considered:​
  • 3 Fins vs 4 Fins
  • Fin size
  • Fin shape
  • Stability Margin
  • Airframe length
  • Basic recovery method
  • Electronics
  • Structural Integrity
  • Material strength

1.1 - Fins: 3 fins versus 4 fins​

People have their preferences. I prefer 4 fins. 4 fins allow me to keep the span smaller than a 3 fin design which means forces on the tip chord will have less mechanical advantage. 4 fins also are less prone to coning from what I have been told. So I decided on 4 fins. I believe most of NASA's sounding rockets used 4 fins, correct me if I am wrong, but if it's good enough for NASA it's good enough for me!

1685849459045.png

1.2 - Fin size​

A very common rule of rocketry that I come across is to make your fin span equal to at least one body diameter when going super sonic. This is due to the shock angle produced at supersonic speeds causing a boundary layer where your fins will be receiving turbulent flow (someone fact check please). The higher the Mach number, the wider the shock angle and thus the worse your stability will be. For some reason though, and I would love for someone to explain this, typically your stability increases in the lower Mach numbers and once you start going into the higher numbers your stability starts decreasing. This happens independently of CG shifts from propellant burning away too. Anyways, I am not an aerodynamicist and I just followed the standard rule of fin span = 1 body diameter which in my case equals a span of 1.6 inches. This general rule is a safe way to go about it. Obviously aerodynamics and stability are much more nuanced. For example, the distance from your nosecone tip to your fins is just as important as your fin size since the shock angle has a much larger distance from the airframe at 30 inches than at 10 inches. For my next attempt, this is one of the areas where I am going to really get into the weeds of how small I can make these fins for the flight profile.

1685858620421.png
Figure 1: RASAero CP location through Mach 3​
1685858706442.png

Fin shape​

In the single stage configuration for altitude records, you will typically see two fin shapes used. Both are clipped deltas. The first one is what most people would call a swept clipped delta which looks like this:
1685859015305.png
The other one is what I call a 'forward-swept clipped delta' which is what you commonly see on blackhawks, mongooses, go devils, etc.
1685859352495.png
You see these a lot in HPR. The reason is that this shape is much more robust than the swept clipped delta. Since the tip chord isn't aft of the trailing edge of the root chord, there is a lot less torqueing force on this design compared to the swept delta. This design also prevents hard landings where the tip of your fin gets smashed. However, this design is not as good for squeezing the max altitude out.

1685860455274.png
Figure 2: Open Rocket Swept Delta​
versus

1685860502993.png
Figure 3: Open Rocket Forward Swept Delta​
you can make your root chord longer which will get you altitude back but you will also see a significant drop in stability and a big increase in fin area.
1685861369610.png
Figure 4: Forward Swept Delta longer sweep length​
I ended up going with the swept delta design (figure 2) as it gave me the highest altitude with the smallest fins and highest stability. Material rigidity needs to be taken into account more seriously with this design which will be discussed later.

Stability margin​

The stability margin obviously needed to stay above 1 cal the whole flight and I used rasaero and open rocket to determine this value. When you start going into the higher Mach ranges like 2.5 and higher you may see a drastic drop in stability like mentioned earlier. Make sure you have a healthy margin.
1685863629220.png
Figure 5: OpenRocket Stability simulation through flight​

As you can see, I start with a margin of well above 3 and then drop all the way below 1.25 cal. Open Rocket takes into account the propellant mass burning also which is nice.

I will be continuing chapter 1 later today hopefully. I hope this turns out to be helpful to someone lol!

Last edited:
I saw you about to walk out with your I216 rocket, but you looked busy & I definitely understand being in the zone. I missed the launch, but heard it was a great flight. You got it, right?
It broke the I record slightly but the apogee charge caused a power loss (battery dislodged I think), so the main didn’t deploy. Minor repairable damage. The tracker took me right to it.

Interesting discussion about the fin shape. I have figured that the drag was primarily driven by fin area. If you adjust the sweep distance while keeping the tip chord and root chord constant, the area won’t change but the Cp does. I have picked the smaller sweep distance because it maximizes stability for the same fin area, but I didn’t re-check predicted altitude because I wasn’t expecting to see a difference. I have probably been missing the effect of the leading edge sweep angle on supersonic drag.

Great flight! It's always incredible to me how much more efficient you can be if you keep the diameter small.

It broke the I record slightly but the apogee charge caused a power loss (battery dislodged I think), so the main didn’t deploy. Minor repairable damage. The tracker took me right to it.

Yeah, another example of why records are hard (and fun). One of my flights last year hit 17.9k, but I broke a fin on landing - no record. Tapering the rear closure helps a lot too, but my record flight last year was just a stock rear closure.

Interesting discussion about the fin shape. I have figured that the drag was primarily driven by fin area. If you adjust the sweep distance while keeping the tip chord and root chord constant, the area won’t change but the Cp does. I have picked the smaller sweep distance because it maximizes stability for the same fin area, but I didn’t re-check predicted altitude because I wasn’t expecting to see a difference. I have probably been missing the effect of the leading edge sweep angle on supersonic drag.
Stay behind the Mach cone with the leading edges and you’re getting most of the drag/sweep benefit.

Landing survivability is the biggest advantage for keeping the tips forward of the root leading edge. If the designer doesn’t care about breaking a fin & all they want to do is go high, then get that trailing edge way aft (watching flutter limits, of course).

3 vs 4 fins. Coning is another concern, but the big stability dip as you go faster than about Mach 2.5 is a major driver in going with 4 fins. It’s so much easier to get the stability you need with 4 fins. For Mach ~2 rockets, I prefer 3 fin. For Mach ~3, I prefer 4 fin.

There are likely more fin shockwave interactions as you increase fin count. That’s above what OpenRocket can simulate, of course.

Fun stuff!

I had a lot of long phone calls with some of my aerospace engineer friends and fin design turns out to be very nuanced in super sonic flow. Sadly, none of them are dedicated aerodynamicists. Most of them do systems, propulsion, structures. If there happens to be anyone reading this that specializes in this area of aerospace Im sure we would all love to learn how this works. Im also especially interested in why stability increases before rapidly decreasing.

Yeah, another example of why records are hard (and fun). One of my flights last year hit 17.9k, but I broke a fin on landing - no record. Tapering the rear closure helps a lot too, but my record flight last year was just a stock rear closure.

Stay behind the Mach cone with the leading edges and you’re getting most of the drag/sweep benefit.

Landing survivability is the biggest advantage for keeping the tips forward of the root leading edge. If the designer doesn’t care about breaking a fin & all they want to do is go high, then get that trailing edge way aft (watching flutter limits, of course).

3 vs 4 fins. Coning is another concern, but the big stability dip as you go faster than about Mach 2.5 is a major driver in going with 4 fins. It’s so much easier to get the stability you need with 4 fins. For Mach ~2 rockets, I prefer 3 fin. For Mach ~3, I prefer 4 fin.

There are likely more fin shockwave interactions as you increase fin count. That’s above what OpenRocket can simulate, of course.

Fun stuff!
What I am confused about is how the longer more swept leading edge in the foreward swept (design picture 3) design goes so much higher than the smaller forward swept design (design picture 2). The tip chord should be in the same exact place in both designs. Is it just the shallower angle of the longer root chord produces less drag in the mach cone?

What I am confused about is how the longer more swept leading edge in the foreward swept (design picture 3) design goes so much higher than the smaller forward swept design (design picture 2). The tip chord should be in the same exact place in both designs. Is it just the shallower angle of the longer root chord produces less drag in the mach cone?
I’m just looking on my phone (with really bad cell coverage) and I haven’t looked deeply at those 2 fin designs, but the top one (smaller fins, less sweep) doesn’t look like the leading edges would be behind a Mach 3.1 Mach cone. I’m not sure what OpenRocket does for its drag calcs with that though. You definitely want the leading edges behind the Mach cone, even if it’s just a tiny bit.

Chapter 1 Cont.​

1.5 Airframe design​

Most people would opt for the flying case design prior to @watheyak 's L record. At the end of this thread he notes that in the future he will be utilizing a thin wall composite airframe from now on that matches the nosecone and creates a flush fit throughout the entire rocket body. The protruding lip produced by the fin can design probably does more harm than the missing airframe diameter does good. After talking with @Loki Research over the phone last weekend, he pointed out that a student from Princeton attempted to break the L record by turning down the motor case to create a flush fit for the fin can to sit in. "One young customer of ours while attending Princeton a few years back would have captured the L altitude record, but they deemed his modifications to go beyond the motor that I certified. He turned down the motor case by a depth of 0.020" where he then built up his 4 fin CF fin can. This way, the fin can diameter would not exceed the motor case OD of 2.127". Of course he made a custom NC to fit everything as well and he nearly broke 40,000' with it, something like 39,700ft AGL." Here is a photo of this rocket:
1685907418168.png
Scott Wathey's differs by being appearing to be much shorter but also having the step produced by the fin can:
1685913234771.png
A shorter rocket should go much higher than one that is longer but Scotts didn't. There is a good chance this is due to the step of the fin can. Before anyone starts yelling at me, I know that there are a million other things that can affect two different launch altitudes including the humidity! Hear me out first.
Here are two different 38mm K627 designs:
1685907838298.png
Figure 6: Thin wall airframe, flush fit throughout entire body​
1685908557119.png
Figure 7: Flying case with 1.6 OD fin can. All other geometries, weights, surface roughness, and simulation settings stay the same.​

As you can see, the step in the fin can knocks off a few thousand feet compared to just utilizing a thin wall composite airframe. Note that the stability increases though and you may be able to make the fins smaller which can get you some extra altitude back:

1685908822884.png
Figure 8: Flying case figure 7 with reduced fin height to match stability of previous examples.​

Even so, cutting the fins down so that the stability margin is similar to before results in less altitude than the streamlined design in figure .

The same thing can be seen in RASAERO:
1685909240253.png
Figure 9: Streamlined thin-wall composite airframe​

1685909989688.png
Figure 10: Fin can with 0.125" shoulder​
As you can see, the fin can loses a lot of altitude. IF you were to make the shoulder much longer (maybe 0.25 inches) then you appear to get your altitude back and maybe a little more (+100ft). The only issue is that this would need to be a perfectly tapered shoulder which just further complicates an already complicated design.

So with this in mind I decided to go with a thin wall carbon airframe purchased from mcmaster. Regarding the length, I needed it to be as small as possible. I wouldn't fully know this length until I received all of my avionics but I knew I needed to keep the Wildman nosecone nearly flush with the end of the motor tube. The Wildman nosecone shoulder has a length of about 2 inches while the loki motor is about 24 inches long. My guess-timated airframe length was 26 inches long.

I obviously wanted a Von Karman nosecone. One thing everyone should note though is that in the 38mm size, you should select Ogive in open rocket rather than VK. For some reason it drastically underestimates your VK altitude at this size. No idea why.

Here is RASAERO with VK for our control group:
1685912315159.png
Figure 11: RASAERO VK​
Here is OpenRocket with Ogive:
1685912394254.png
Figure 12: Open Rocket Ogive​
Here is Open Rocket with VK:
1685912453599.png
Figure 13: Open Rocket VK​
Vk should definitely be going higher than Ogive for this supersonic flight profile if I am correct but it is the opposite here. If any of the developers see this maybe they can take a look at what's going on.

So I went with the Wildman nosecone but want to make my own custom cone for a future flight to give me a little more room since I would make it without a shoulder and use the motor tube as the coupler. This completes this section of airframe design.

HOWEVER... there is something I have been desperately wanting to look into.
If one person was to successfully create an epoxy bond between composite fins and the metal motor tube then no current record would be safe. I have some ideas that I plan on pursuing in the future. The reason no one does this now is these bonds typically fail. Bonding dissimilar materials turns out to be a pain in the *ss, especially when one of those materials oxidizes incredibly fast (the aluminum). There has been some successes by utilizing a wet sanding method with epoxy on the motor tube. This prevents the aluminum from oxidizing. In industry they would use some acid etching to prep the aluminum but that doesn't solve what I believe is the main reason these bonds fail on rocketeers. I think it has to do with thermal expansion and vibrations. Epoxy is strong in compression and not so strong in tension. Fibers like fiberglass and carbon are strong in tension but weak in compression. When you mix the fibers and epoxy together it makes a composite which rivals the strength of metals. Aluminum does two certain things extremely well: Conduct heat and transfer vibrations.
My hypothesis is this: When the motor fires, the aluminum heats up which transfers heat directly to the epoxy bond which weakens it. The aluminum tube also experiences thermal expansion which puts the epoxy in tension causing cracking. The vibrations from the motor make this worse along with the forces of flight. This causes catastrophic failure of the bond.

I did a comparison of fin sweep in RASAero. These were the test subjects:

Swept:
1685915046363.png1685915518714.png
Square:
1685915064750.png1685915536151.png
Forward:
1685915081966.png1685915551949.png

Due to geometry and math, these all have the same profile area.

There's a lot of data you can get from RASAero, all the way to Mach 25 at different angles of attack. But I'll cut to the chase for the 0 degree angle of attack case:

1685915202385.png

Higher is better. The driving case is at liftoff up to Mach 1. The swept case is about 0.13" worse than the other two on this example rocket.

1685915234984.png

Here the swept comes out ahead, with 98.8% of the square profile drag at Mach 2 and 97% of the drag at Mach 3.

If you were to tweak the swept fin span to get the same center of pressure as the square profile, they would probably be very close. An exercise for the reader.

Attachments

• fin comparison.xlsx
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I did a comparison of fin sweep in RASAero. These were the test subjects:

Swept:
View attachment 584412View attachment 584417
Square:
View attachment 584413View attachment 584418
Forward:
View attachment 584414View attachment 584419

Due to geometry and math, these all have the same profile area.

There's a lot of data you can get from RASAero, all the way to Mach 25 at different angles of attack. But I'll cut to the chase for the 0 degree angle of attack case:

View attachment 584415

Higher is better. The driving case is at liftoff up to Mach 1. The swept case is about 0.13" worse than the other two on this example rocket.

View attachment 584416

Here the swept comes out ahead, with 98.8% of the square profile drag at Mach 2 and 97% of the drag at Mach 3.

If you were to tweak the swept fin span to get the same center of pressure as the square profile, they would probably be very close. An exercise for the reader.
Thank you Adrian! Something I noticed also with the trendline is that the swept design looks like it holds up better in the mach 3+ range compared to the other two while also having less drag. Although it performs worse with CP in the lower Mach numbers. I think this definitely has something to do with the shock angle produced from the nosecone interacting with the fins. I wonder if this could be viewed in CFD. I think a few of my friends have the capability to do that.

I’m just looking on my phone (with really bad cell coverage) and I haven’t looked deeply at those 2 fin designs, but the top one (smaller fins, less sweep) doesn’t look like the leading edges would be behind a Mach 3.1 Mach cone. I’m not sure what OpenRocket does for its drag calcs with that though. You definitely want the leading edges behind the Mach cone, even if it’s just a tiny bit.
Gotcha. Is using CFD the best way to figure out a Mach cone?

I think it has to do with thermal expansion and vibrations. Epoxy is strong in compression and not so strong in tension. Fibers like fiberglass and carbon are strong in tension but weak in compression. When you mix the fibers and epoxy together it makes a composite which rivals the strength of metals. Aluminum does two certain things extremely well: Conduct heat and transfer vibrations.
My hypothesis is this: When the motor fires, the aluminum heats up which transfers heat directly to the epoxy bond which weakens it. The aluminum tube also experiences thermal expansion which puts the epoxy in tension causing cracking. The vibrations from the motor make this worse along with the forces of flight. This causes catastrophic failure of the bond.
I've been thinking along similar lines for a while now and had come to the same conclusion without arriving at much of the way of a workaround. My only thought would be to bond aluminum fin slots to the case (for it should be easier to bond aluminum to aluminum) and cover the slots with a fillet that might be best if not as rigid as we typically make fillets.
Thank you! It just got even whackier!
Wacky is good:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

A shorter rocket should go much higher than one that is longer but Scotts didn't. There is a good chance this is due to the step of the fin can. Before anyone starts yelling at me, I know that there are a million other things that can affect two different launch altitudes including the humidity! Hear me out first.
Mine actually simmed to ~44k', but I think it was the pretty hard left turn due to high upper level winds that stole a bunch of the altitude.

I left the window wide open, and eagerly await someone else's cool project to steal the record 😉

Back