Blue Tube rebuild "Mean Streak"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickershock23

Reaction score
I "HAD" this rocket that was Kind of my Work Horse. It was 3.0" dim 38 mm Duel deploy. I've flown it dozens of times on prety much every 38mm motor there is. It's crashed a few times, but only minor, been rebuilt a few times. etc

Well about 6 months ago, I had this 38mm motor that had bee loaded for months, I figure. I better put it up. I load it on the rail, nothing. tried another igniter same thing. so I disarmed it pulled the motor, took it apart scratched up the cores of the grains. put it together and back on the pad... WOOOSH!

Right about Apogee i realize... "I never re-armed the electronics..." OOOPS!

It was beautiful came in Ballistic about 50 feet in front of us..

Here are the before and after shots..

Needless to say, there wasn't much left. Good news, I built the fincan strong enough, it was all that survived the impact.

Mark with rocket.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

DSC00302.jpg

With some elbow grease and alot of sanding I was able to salvage the fins.

They were g10 over honeycomb, Very strong Very light.

This matrial is awesome for fins. I (when I first built it) chose to use aluminum tubing for my leading and training edges. a little 5 min epoxy a touch of bondo and PERFECT Edges. strong and light.

DSC00397.jpg

DSC00399.jpg

DSC00404.jpg

DSC00403.jpg

DSC00402.jpg

I heard about "Blue Tube" here on TRF, so I decided it was worth trying.

First thing I have ot say Randy at Always ready rocketry Is AWESOME.

His customer service is outstanding, His product is even better than I imagined. and his price and shipping costs were very reasonable.. two rockets up!!!

If you havn't tried Blue tube. I highly recommend it.. I'm 6'4" and almost 300 lbs. I was able to stand on this stuff NO PROBLEM!

Heres my thoughts on it.

The tube is HELLA strong. it laughed at my exacto knife. I used my dremmel and a tile cutting blade to cut it.

Mostly easy to work with. BUT if you epoxy to it, you got to prep the surface. A little 40 grit sandpaper seemed to do the trick!

Finishing... It does have a spiral, but very minimal, I used some filling primer. about 2 coats filled them in and left me with a nice surface to paint

DSC00400.jpg

DSC00401.jpg

A little time on the drill press and belt sander, and I had all new centering rings,
and a new e-bay..

since It had handled ever 38mm I could throw at it. I decided on 54mm this time. I heard something about a 54mm "M" by Cesseroni in the works... Now thats a motor.

All the joins got westsystems epoxy and 10 oz glass.

A layer on the outside joints too. a touch of bondo to fill in my lousy sanding job. and its was off to paint. Sorry I didnt take pics before I painted. I was to anxious.

DSC00405.jpg

DSC00406.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

DSC00408.jpg

The AWESOME Guy at Stickershock23.com Hooked me up with some Killer one off graphics for it.

All the Purple is mirrored finish chrome. including the Flames, plus the bright orange for easy visibility!!

An the custom lettering reminds me of how many times I have rebuilt this rocket. and all the upgrades I have done for it since.

I am waiting for a new perfect flite Hi alt 45 a urethane tail cone snapring retainer, and she is ready to fly.

I left enough room in my e-bay to take the CD3 co2 ejection system. depending on what motor I slap in her. I may need it!

The recovery is done by a Huge streamer at apogee, and a 72" black parachute for the main. everything is Nylon, with sewn loops at the end. I am also waiting on new Kevlar chute protectors, supplied by K&S rockets I won them for the June best rocket contest here on TRF thanks guys!!

I plan on flying it at our next launch on whatever 54mm SKIDMARK I can find!!

mean.jpg

mean 2.jpg

Nice rebuild Mark! :D

Yeah, I have heard that the guy over at stickershock23 is pretty good with the vinyl cutter!:p

But now, seriously, who wears a TUXEDO, let alone with a WHITE jacket to a launch!?!?!????????????:confused2::neener:
attachment.php

I do, but that's because the happywagon is close by!:bangpan:

Nice rebuild Mark! :D

Yeah, I have heard that the guy over at stickershock23 is pretty good with the vinyl cutter!:p

But now, seriously, who wears a TUXEDO, let alone with a WHITE jacket to a launch!?!?!????????????:confused2::neener:

Thanks for the compliment. Im sure HE appreciates it LOL

As for the WHITE jacket and tux.. well my wife and I got married on that lakebed right on the flightline. November 2004.. :y:

I only have one thing to say "Bond, James Bond" lol

Mark, that looks freeking AWESOME!!

Sometimes crashing a rocket is beneficial because you get to rebuild it better than before. Hell, call me crazy, but I have a couple I wish would get damaged because I want to rebuild them. Seems I can only crash the ones I DON'T WANT to have to rebuild.

...Fudd

Back