Blue Ninja ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prowlerguy

Reaction score
I have noted a lot of people complaining about the blue wrap coming off of the body tube of the Blue Ninja. I was wondering if anyone has put the optional clearcoat on after the decals or not. I was thinking this might protect the wrap and make it less likely to come loose. Any thoughts?

I have found the ultimate solution for the Blue Ninja problem. My son, after one flight at NARAM 45, turned his into a "Silver" Ninja, as the wrap completely peeled off down to the fin can, leaving the silver base exposed. Estes replaced the entire rocket, which was unexpected and very cool, and we wound up building the second one for my daughter. She now has a matching Blue Ninja and Blue/Crome version of the Chrome Domes.

The following fix was added to both the Ninja and Chrome Dome. I took a piece of self-stick Monokote, chrome color, and cut 1/16" strips. These strips were used to "anchor" the top and bottom of each wrapped section on the Chrome Dome. It works great! The Chrome lip on the top of the "Dome" rocket looks really cool. On the Ninja we used Black Monokote strips in the same manner...what really is cool is they are now color coordinated and LOOK like it was done at the factory.

So, there ya go...a cheap fix that looks good and keeps the model's "pants" up! :)

Carl

Carl's approach is undoubtedly much jazzier than mine.

I just used a piece of scotch tape to wrap the top of the body tube. Not elegant, but it has worked so far.

Easy and quick: Put a dab of Elmer's at the place where the wrap comes off. Worked for me until I lost the NC and Chute due to a seperation.

Carl, that sounds like a neat idea. Unfortunately, I don't have any Monkote, and I can't justify buying it just for that. I also appreciate all the other hints.

Since it appears nobody has put on a coat of clear coat, I will try that. Can't hurt, might help. I promise to share my results when available.

My son's Chrome Dome started to peel a little, so I put a drop of CA on it right away, and it has been OK since. I do have monocote trim here, so if it happens again, I'll remember that excellent tip.
Prowler,
A huge piece of trim monocote costs about $3.50-4.00. I am sure you could find many uses for the rest of it.

powderburner:
Yes. Very good.

rbeckey:
I didn't know monokote was that inexpensive. I'll look into it, but I'm still going to clear coat it.

Originally posted by prowlerguy
Tell them I said OWWWW. Got it.

Well here's a challenge back to you, prowlerguy:
"Kind of makes you wish you had all your fingers"

On to more serious business: a sheet of trim monocote is about 4 or 6 inches wide, and I think they are 36 inches long. They come in various colors, a pattern (checkerboard----there may be others), and also some letters/numbers. This stuff is backed with adhesive, all you do is cut, peel, apply. You don't use the little monocote iron at all for this stuff. Works great, highly recommended.

Back