Blood Red Sun.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Steven

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm staring out my front window at a very bright red sun. It borders on almost an intense pink. Totally insane with minuscule little flecks of ash falling down. They're starting to cover our grill. I'm going out to get myself pumped up with coffee sans rocket today. With the top down of course.

Flyfalcons

Reaction score
Enjoy the air quality. Here's my ashed-up car as of this morning.

20170905_075640.jpg

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but why is ash falling out of the sky? Volcanic eruption? Wildfire?

rharshberger

Reaction score
Washington, Oregon, and Montana have large numbers of forest/wilfires burning. Its to the point fire crews are just trying to save homes and evacuate smalltowns in the path.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a composite showing two different pictures from a similar location. The yellow sky was the other day. The blue sky is our norm.

Steve Shannon

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Please stay safe and aware all of you that are in the possible path of the wildfires. Has your governors asked for state of emergency to be declared so feds can help more?
And do you have your valuables and necessary papers of life in a container you could grab and put in car quickly if you had to evacuate? Up there needs as much coverage and help as Harvey victims.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Wow, sorry to hear it. Man ... fires, hurricanes. The west is really suffering right now.

rharshberger

Reaction score
Please stay safe and aware all of you that are in the possible path of the wildfires. Has your governors asked for state of emergency to be declared so feds can help more?
And do you have your valuables and necessary papers of life in a container you could grab and put in car quickly if you had to evacuate? Up there needs as much coverage and help as Harvey victims.
Angie, I believe Montana and Washington have declared state of emergency. The Jolly Mountain fire in WA is now being fought to save homes and to buy time for the evacuees, wildfire teams are stretched beyond the point of being able to try and contain/fight the fires.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Last edited:

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
That is terrible. But thanks for letting me know about the state if emergencies.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Bdpeters

Reaction score
we were treated to a red moon this morning about 5:45 when it was down close to the horizon here in salt lake city utah.

FredA

Reaction score
Some idiot with FIREWORKS during EXTREME FIRE DANGER set fire to the Columbia Gorge near Cascade Locks.
Wind caused the fire to jump the Columbia river last night.
Hwy 84 is closed. Hwy 14 is closed to trucks and is mostly an evacuation route.

The say the fire moved 12 miles last night -- and it's ~40 miles from Portland.

tightwad

Reaction score
Here on the SW Washington coast visibility is 2 miles or less with light ash fall. Our current winds are out of the SE and I believe it is blowing the smoke from the Cascade Lock fire down the Columbia River gorge to us. We too had a blood red sun, on day 2 for that and we had an eerie red full moon last night. The only thing missing was howling from the Werewolves. :smile:

As a Volunteer Firefighter, my department has lucked out on wildfires, but we had two structure fires on the same day during this heat wave. I hoping, that soon the rains will return and put these fires out. Thoughts and prayers to those in harm's way and fighting the fires. Be safe out there.

sl98

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504636263.698683.jpg

Yesterday afternoon in Western Washington. Appeared more pink when viewing.

scottrc

Reaction score
Here's a composite showing two different pictures from a similar location. The yellow sky was the other day. The blue sky is our norm.

Steve Shannon
Up around Havre, the fire near Beaver Creek would make it feel like being on Mars.

Also sad that the Sperry Chalet got caught up in a fire Glacier. 105 years old.

Steven

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Now I have to wash my car! Are you serious?! Wait, drive fast enough and the ash blows off. Check. And there goes the Simonize. SH!T!

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Up around Havre, the fire near Beaver Creek would make it feel like being on Mars.

Also sad that the Sperry Chalet got caught up in a fire Glacier. 105 years old.
Yeah, how is something like that even replaced?

new2hpr

Reaction score
Southern California is burning as well. We had quite the beautiful dark red sun, just before sunset yesterday (in Colorado), so we're getting the poor visibility as well. How far east is it being noticed? Anyone?
-Ken

Steven

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Those kids that lit the fireworks off should be given some shovels and a crash coarse in fire fighting! Then Dreyfus can drop a load on em'!

RocketFeller

Reaction score
Those kids that lit the fireworks off should be given some shovels and a crash coarse in fire fighting! Then Dreyfus can drop a load on em'!
I heard that they know who did it and it was caught on video. Their parents are liable for the damages and costs of fighting the fire. Could be many millions of dollars...

If this had happened a few weeks ago we could have watched the eclipse without glasses.

Steven

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I heard that they know who did it and it was caught on video. Their parents are liable for the damages and costs of fighting the fire. Could be many millions of dollars...

If this had happened a few weeks ago we could have watched the eclipse without glasses.
Yes, the little bastiches were caught by several witnesses. Send em' into the cinders for shovel duty!

snrkl

Reaction score
Nasty - my heart goes out to those affected.

Brings back memories: we got burnt out in the Canberra bushfires in 2003 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Canberra_bushfires)

Right before we evacuated, the sky was dark like night at 11 am.

As we were leaving, my partner at the time said "it's ok - it's raining... it will be fine..."

I pointed to the helicopter water bombing two streets away as the actual source of the rain drops and urged her into the car pronto...

Funny thing - we were burnt out completely but never once saw a flame.

In the 25 mins it took to drive to her sister's place across town, the house was fine when we left, it went up and burnt to the ground.

Apparently the house got hit by a giant fireball (they were being thrown from the fiercely burning pine forrest 100m from our house) a few minutes after we waved to the neighbour as we left.

After all that, I have to admit, I'm a little less attached to "stuff" than I once was..