Blood on my Ping-Pong Ball!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomopbo

Reaction score
Ok, I admit it...
Last cut on the last ping-pong ball...GOTCHA! I can't be the only one... Feel free to confess your guilt here.

BTW, Jim, the method for marking them worked just fine for me!
100_0563opt.jpg

*baaaarrrrrrrffffff*

Crap man, I just ate breakfast! Jeez louise!

:eek: :kill:

Jason

Uhh...yep. I can see how well it worked from the red spots... ;)

Originally posted by jetra2
*baaaarrrrrrrffffff*

Crap man, I just ate breakfast! Jeez louise!

:eek: :kill:

Jason

Jeez, Jason...

And you call yourself a rocketeer... You get freaked out by a little blood! My wife goes and buys stock in Johnson & Johnson every time I reach for my X-Acto knife! ;)

WW

Originally posted by wwattles
Jeez, Jason...

And you call yourself a rocketeer... You get freaked out by a little blood! My wife goes and buys stock in Johnson & Johnson every time I reach for my X-Acto knife! ;)

WW

hhmmpph, my knife and I have an understanding after 40+ years... It don't break my skin, I don't break it's blades.

:D

Originally posted by jflis
hhmmpph, my knife and I have an understanding after 40+ years... It don't break my skin, I don't break it's blades.

:D

Jim,
That's because after 40+ years of it, your skin has the general consistency of a leather strop and the knife knows it's pointless (no pun intended) to even try to cut you.;)

WW

Originally posted by nomopbo
Ok, I admit it...
Last cut on the last ping-pong ball...GOTCHA! I can't be the only one... Feel free to confess your guilt here.

I have NEVER done that when cutting up a ping pong ball.

I use a blender. With the lid off.

OK, I don't. But that was a great visual, wasn't it.

Originally posted by OccamMD
If you 've got some CA, just put a drop over the cut.

Instant heal.

Does that not poison you or something?

Phil

Nope, they've used it forever in Europe in the OR. And in many ER's in the US, just not w/approval.

I wouldn't drink it though ;). The new Band-aid liguid bandage is mostly CA I believe. Which is why you better let it dry before doing anything. One woman use the liquid bandage and then put her foot down and glued herself to her floor. I love picturing that :).

Don't forget to clean the wound first.

Here's a brief discussion about it:

Cyanoacrylate is a tenacious adhesive, particularly when used to bond non-porous materials or those that contain minute traces of water. As such it is very good at bonding body tissue, and while this effect can be a nuisance (or even dangerous) for everyday use, it has been exploited for the benefit of suture-less surgery. Its major polymerization byproduct, acetic acid, is biocompatible. Cyanoacrylates are used in orthopedic surgery to glue metal appliances to bone. They are often used, for example, to glue artificial hip appliances to femurs and pelvic girdles.

Cyanoacrylates are used in forensic science for fingerprint detection. The liquid glue is vaporised and the vapour passed over the object suspected of having fingerprints. The minute traces of water in the print cause the polymerisation of the vapour, which sets hard, forming a solid version of the print, which is rendered very much more visible and much more robust.

Cyanoacrylates are often used to assemble prototype electronics (see wire wrap), flying model aircraft, and as retention dressings for nuts and bolts.

Nope, they've used it forever in Europe in the OR. And in many ER's in the US, just not w/approval.

Point of synchronicity:

The Henckel Loctite company, major manufacturer of Super Glue, is based in Rocky Hill CT. Same as our own Hospital_Rocket.

In college, a guy down the hall got a rather messy cut on his eyelid. EMT's sent his roommate up and down the hall looking for CA, which he quickly found. Couple drops and 30 seconds drying time later and he was done. Not much you can do on an eyelid...

WW

I got CA in my eyes once at work. I WIGGED OUT! I held my eyes open an ran to the bathroom. It dried (FAST...) and felt like sharp sand. My eyes got scratched up pretty good while washing them out. I went to the eye doctor and he basically laughed at me and said..."do you know how many women I have seen for super glue in their eyes from using it to glue on false eyelashes?"
:rolleyes:

Its great for xacto knife type cuts. Sharp clean cuts are hard to heal w/a band aid, the CA works great.

Yeah, don't put it in your eye!

That's like the warning on a plastic bag, "NOT A TOY"

But really, if your out in a field launching and get a smallish cut, use it. It will seal out bacteria

Originally posted by WiK
Does that not poison you or something?

Phil

Nope, used to be referred to as "liquid suture", commonly used in emergency medical units (MASH type) in the military (according to my brother)

worse case I ever witnessed was a girl I worked with on the PC board assembly line. we used CA to glue small wires to PC boards. The tips always got clogged. Her solution was to pour a little bit into a small cut and use a toothpick.

worked great until one day she sneezed... A spray of the CA blew into her face and her startled reaction was to inhale deeply and close her eyes.

Her eyes (both lids) glued shut as did *both* of her nostrils *and* her mouth.

I had to use an awl to pry open one nostril till the EMT's arrived.

it was horrific, beleive me...

Good think they had a panic button nearby. I heard you guys had to cut her nostrils open so she could breath.

well, no, that's what the awl was for (think glorifed Ice-Pick...)

No panic button (well we had one, but is wasn't needed as I watched this happen...)

needless to say, she was much more careful after that :)

Back