Blew My Mind

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomopbo

Reaction score
I have recently set my sights on obtaining Level 1.
So I did some hunting around for info on West System Epoxy Resin.

(I found an online source HERE

Since I have yet to venture into the high power arena, I assumed it was for the most part a standard build, just heavy duty, throw in a bay for electronics, and some extra hardware.

Then...
I stumbled across a picture tutorial by CTulanko that just blew my mind.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?dir=tres%2F&startpic=150

WOW, I'm scared now:eek: and wondering if I bit off more than I can chew.
I was just going to glass a 4FNC with TTW fins and put an "H" motor mount in it. I guess I could get away with just doing that, but what a hardcore lesson in construction that tutorial is!

Wow. Carl, that looks great! Now, simply put, I did glassing with no where NEAR that amount of skill. Im sure mine isn't nearly as good hough, but it's just fine to me. Carl's way apperently makes it have no seam in the glass, but I can deal with one. :)
Here is the tutorial I used:
Glassing 101
Really, it was no where near as hard as I thought, and the tubes I did are VERY strong. :)

Also, you prolly won't need to glass if its just a level one. That is, unless its weak tubing.

It's not just the glassing, continue through the entire build. The bulk heads, mounts, centering rings, recesses, grommets, alingment dowel, on and on!
I'M LOOSING IT MAN!!:eek:

Originally posted by nomopbo
It's not just the glassing, continue through the entire build. The bulk heads, mounts, centering rings, recesses, grommets, alingment dowel, on and on!
I'M LOOSING IT MAN!!:eek:

Wow.. I am.. That's incredible! :D

Level One, IMO, is the simplest of them all. All you have to do is fly a rocket on a H or I and get it back unharmed. No tests, no documentation (like for L3), very straight forward. If you have a rocket that flies on a G80 with no problem, put an H97J or a H128 in it, and fly! Simple as that!

Glassing is not necessary for most L1 flights, but for L2, you will want to. You'll be amazed at how simple it is...oh, and don't look a Carl's documentation of HIS glassing...he overcomplicated it big time :p

If you want it REALLY easy, the glassing, that is, get a sock type glassing surface. It'll leave no line, and very little spots. You can get them from Giant Leap or Fibersock.com

HTH,
Jason

nomopbo,
Like jetra2 suggested, K.I.S.S. ...
A 3FNC or 4FNC rocket with TTW fins & a BT diameter of 2-4" is the ideal L1 cert rocket. There's plenty of time for glassing, electronics, & other advanced builds after you get your certification.
No need to make it more compliated than it has to be (& it should be anything but!)

Good luck & keep us posted on your progress ;)

Keep in mind that Carl build level 3 capable tanks...lol His work is beyond compare, and truly remarkable. For an L1, however, you really don't need to do most of that. Buy a kit for L1 to make it easy and allow yourself to learn what needs to go into a rocket capable of L1 motors. Level 1 kits aren't a whole lot different than what you're used to with LPR and Mid power rockets - just bigger. Same basic stuff, though. Don't let Carl blow your mind - just sit in awe...loo

Loopy

Ditto. Keep it simple!
I was going to build a "special" L1 bird but in the end I just wanted to get the dang cert. Ended up using my LOC Stovi I built last year. With all those external tubes and 6 fins it was a little more complicated, but the thing is solid as a rock and had already flown several times.

Ok, I'm liking what I'm hearing. I have a couple "G" birds and couldn't believe there was that much difference from G to H/I builds.

Carl, amazing craftsmanship!

nomopbo,

Forget the glassing!

Forget the body tube!

Forget the fins!

Forget the chute!

You want easy?

I got easy! :D

Saucer Level 1, baby!

https://www.artapplewhite.com/level1.html

And 2/3 of your purchase price back if you succeed!

Sometimes life is just plain good! :p

WOW,
And for only 5 bucks after rebate!

It almost like cheating!!

Originally posted by Gus
Saucer Level 1, baby!

https://www.artapplewhite.com/level1.html

And 2/3 of your purchase price back if you succeed!

Sometimes life is just plain good! :p

Good point, Gus. Art's saucers RULE!!! :cool:

Get that 38mm saucer then get your hands on an Ellis Mountain 38mm H48. Saucers looooooooooove long burns (& the H48 goes for 4.4 seconds!) :eek: Plus the H48 is a single use motor so no worries about having to assemble a reload ;) Talk about certing in style... :D

Back