Blending Paint Lines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
So I'm refinishing a rocket, after it received some ground rash after landing. I did all of the usual; strip much of it down, refill, reprime, and paint again with the same color Krylon. But, I've got one lingering issue . . .

How do I reduce the tape line, where I had the rocket taped off? In other words, I had to mask off a portion of the rocket to paint - using tape. When I remove the tape, the two portions of the rocket have the same color but, there's a marked line where the tape was.

Should I just sand it down with some 800-1500 grit and then use Future?

If you remove the tape as soon as you can without the paint stringing you can help to reduce that line. Just touch your finger to the paint which is on the tape itself to determine when it's safe to remove. This gives the paint room to flow out in the direction of the older coat. It won't eliminate the line, but can reduce the sharp edge.

Last edited:
If you remove the tape as soon as you can without the paint stringing you can help to reduce that line. Just touch your finger to the paint which is on the tape itself to determine when it's safe to remove. This gives the paint room to flow out in the direction of the older coat. It won't eliminate the line, but can reduce the sharp edge.

I did that. Sorry I should've stated it clearer.

Now that the painting is done, how can I remove any lingering line?

I did that. Sorry I should've stated it clearer.

Now that the painting is done, how can I remove any lingering line?

Tape dam build ups can all but completely be eliminated with careful wet sanding using Ultra fine Scotchbrite pads, followed by a little work with finessit-II. The completed finish will seem like a single layer.
I think this is covered in Tech-Tip-004 Finishing still in the library section of the narhams.org website. there is also some info in Tech-tip-005 on hand painting.
Hope this helps

Back