Blacksnakes Show Their Support

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

NateB

Reaction score
Our local Air Guard base is the home of the 122nd Fighter Wing, a squadron of A-10s known as the Black Snakes.Today, they rerouted a planned training mission to flyover each of the 5 hospitals in the city to show their support for us. I believe they are making a similar appearance in Indy and Muncie later this week.

Last week, one buzzed our hangar rattling the walls, but was long gone before we got outside and didn't come back for a second pass. Nobody got a picture.

Marc_G

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the flyovers (I live in Carmel just north of Indy, more or less along the flyover route). I understand there is a blue angels flyover planned for today but delayed (weather?) And the A10 flyover tomorrow (not sure if it will be delayed due to weather).

I'm a fan of stuff like this.

And rerouting training flights has minimal cost implications I expect.

Folks on Next Door are excited about it. It's worthwhile.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
How much did that cost?
Military pilots have to fly a minimum number of hours a month to maintain currency in their aircraft. If they don't, then they need to requalify which is a lot more expensive than the few hours each month. It doesn't really matter where they fly, as long as they fly. So if routing them over a specific area gets them their hours then I see no harm to doing this.

NateB

Reaction score
Correct. These flights were already training flights on the books, with only the flight patterns adjusted. There were no additional expenses to taxpayers beyond what would have been spent for routine drills.

Latest posts