blacksky ARRD

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

blacksky

Reaction score
I have seen several posts regarding the ARRD and am posting to make some clairifications. Please note that I am not angry but am concerned that there are misunderstandings regarding this device. I have also attached some PDF drawings for your use.

1. The ARRD is a solution for solving problems such as dual deployment, strap-on booster separation, payload deployment, etc.
2. The ARRD is as close to "real" aerospace hardware as any component available to the rocket hobbiest.
3. The ARRD is made from 7075 T6510 aluminum that has been Type 3 hard anodozed, hardened 17-4 stainless steel, and high strength fasteners.
4. Those of you who believe that the ARRD is too expensive should try doing your own development and design, testing, and getting quotes for manufacturing any similar device.
5. Improvements have been made in the instructions that provive additional information regarding its care, feeding, and use.

LampertRocketry

Reaction score
Scott:

I am pleased to see that you are on this system - I would like to also make some public comments on the Blacksky ARRD. First, let me state that I have no connection to Blacksky whatsoever. In fact, I have never used a Blacksky product to date. (Okay, maybe a launch rail - unknowingly).

I am in the process of preparing for my Level 3 certification attempt. It has been two years in the making and it will be another year before it flies at Geneseo, NY at a Buffalo Rocket Society launch. I won't get into all of the reasons for the delay in getting it off the ground, but suffice it to say that one reason has been the design of the recovery system. I have been scratching my head for two years. The ARRD has provided the solution for me.

After considerable research I have decided to use the Blacksky ARRD as part of my recovery system for this 100+ pound elongated multi-thousand dollar, Blossom V2 rocket. I have spent the past year speaking with users of the Blacksky ARRD in large projects and have yet to find one that has had a recovery failure due to the ARRD. Nor have I found a single user that has had anything but the greatest of praise for the ARRD. The last people I corresponded with were the Gates Brothers (www.gbrocketry.com) who are enthusiastic users of the ARRD. If they are confident in using the ARRD in their JayHawk... it is good enough for me in my US Army Blossom V2.

I have a huge chunk of my disposable income from the past two years invested in the L3 project - we have not built or flown a whole lot else. The whole shebang will rely on the performance of the ARRD. So, I have decided to use not one, but TWO ARRD's in tandem, so that if even only one releases the laundry comes out. Total redundancy.

I have not yet purchased my ARRD's... but am going to do so this coming week. I have no problem with the price despite the fact that I am running out of disposable income due to this L3 project. They are a bargain at this price. I haven't found anything on the market in the price range that compares in terms of capacity. There are other good quality devices on the market, but nothing of this capacity. I have not found anything on the market that comes close in terms of reliability and, most importantly to me, in terms of performance and HISTORY on large projects. If I am going to gamble all my cookies... I want something with some serious HISTORY.... a track record of successes. I did come across some Aerospace industry devices early in my research (I don't recall where) and when I clicked through to find a price I was absolutely blown over... the price was in 4 digits (not including the pennies). And I seem to recall that this was "surplus" or "used".

This device is not intended for small hobby rockets nor the faint of heart. It is not for everyone..... but when placed alongside the cost of a larger project, it falls in line with the overall cost reasonably. Keeping in mind that the ARRD is a lifetime investment and not prone to wearing out.... and I am quite comfortable with the price. It is almost a bargain.

I am, frankly, just thankful that Blacksky has seen fit to continue producing these little gems. After thirty years in business myself, I am sure that Scott, et. al., are not going to be taking early retirement on the proceeds from the sales of these beauties.

Thanks Scott.

Murray Lampert
TRA 08855 L2
NAR 79489 L2
CAR S589 L3
Buffalo Rocket Society LDRS23 Committee
Canadian Rocket Society

Originally posted by blacksky
I have seen several posts regarding the ARRD and am posting to make some clairifications. Please note that I am not angry but am concerned that there are misunderstandings regarding this device. I have also attached some PDF drawings for your use.

1. The ARRD is a solution for solving problems such as dual deployment, strap-on booster separation, payload deployment, etc.
2. The ARRD is as close to "real" aerospace hardware as any component available to the rocket hobbiest.
3. The ARRD is made from 7075 T6510 aluminum that has been Type 3 hard anodozed, hardened 17-4 stainless steel, and high strength fasteners.
4. Those of you who believe that the ARRD is too expensive should try doing your own development and design, testing, and getting quotes for manufacturing any similar device.
5. Improvements have been made in the instructions that provive additional information regarding its care, feeding, and use.

k3td

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Scott,

After seeing Dan Stroud fly his Aurora and Zeus with an ARRD, and talking to him about it, I just bought one for myself and will be building a rocket soon with the ARRD for dual deployment. I was amazed to see the way the main chute deployed so nicely when the drogue is used as the pilot chute for the main! I have been a happy AltAcc owner for several years, your products are first rate!