Blacksky ARRD

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

DPatell

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2002
Messages
1,421
Reaction score
0
Being as cheap as I am, and judging by how much aluminum stock I have, and the lathes and milling machine in my basement, I'd like to make my own copy of the ARRD. Done anyone here own one? I'd like to get some dimensions from someone, as well as an explanation on how it works. There may be a big V2 in the works for LDRS:rolleyes:
 

Ryan S.

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
3,553
Reaction score
0
or you could just do It my way. easy and cheap and proven to work

;) ;)
 

afterburner

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2012
Messages
227
Reaction score
0
:confused:

Ryan, can you provide a description of your method? I have been thinking about a project that would require dual deployment from one opening. So far I thought I would have to buy either the Tether from Defy Gravity or the ARRD from Blacksky.

If I can save some money on this device that makes more money for motors...


Claude
TRA 9540 L3
 

Ryan S.

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
3,553
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by Afterburner

If I can save some money on this device that makes more money for motors...
hehehe I like the way you think.

I put 2 54mm tubes in the Nosecone. One was for the altimeter (I used the smokin rockets method) and the other was for the chute. I could have put a bigger chute tube in but it wasnt needed because it happened to be a perfect fit. I made sure I rolled my chute so when it came out it unrolled and then opened.

So my altimeter went in one tube and then both charges went out of the aft hole in the bay. The main charge I dropped into the body tube and the second charge I put in the bottom of the second 54mm tube and then threw a little wadding on top. I then put the chute on top of this charge. I made sure the chute was nice and tight so it wouldnt pull itself out. At first I was gonna put the chute on the regular shockcord but then decided to give it a little bit of its own cord agian so it wouldnt pull out prematurely.

It ended up working perfectly. I was a little worried the main might get tangled in the shockcord but the hearty ejection charge blew it right past it and it opened up for a soft landing.

It worked well, I am also proud because (Im sure you know stability is a problem in V2s) it added the weight of the chute to the nose making it more stable without adding more weight.

Anyway good luck with your project!
 
Top