Blackhawk R&D Sandhawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan S.

Reaction score
Here are some pics of my Blackhawk R&D Sandhawk. I have been working on it for a couple months. It has taken me this long simply because of school and lack of time in general.

The whole thing is glassed. The fins are glassed to the motor mount tube and glass wasy laid across the fins down to the body tube to form a fillet. The body tubes are also glassed with one layer of 6oz. I installed copper pipe (4 lengths) into the aft 2 centering rings so in the future the rocket can be staged. If it is staged the timer will be located in the interstage simple because there was no room in the rocket. It is set up for dual deployment.

here is a pic of one of the fins glassed to the MMT

here is the top of the altimeter bay, the side that faces the main chute

The other side of the altimeter bay, this side faces the drogue chute. Notice the screw which holds in the altimeter sled

here is the altimeter sled. The centering ring on the right is stepped, so part goes into the 54mm tube and then the other part doesnt because its diameter is too large. This prevents the sled from moving into the main chute compartment

here is the aft of the rocket showing the 54mm motor tube and the copper tube for the interstage rods to slide into. I also cut a length of coupler and installed it in between the after centering ring and then end of the body tube for additional support

here are all the peices minus the nosecone. Right now they are drying and as soon as the primer dries, I will put the thing together and take a picture

that primer is fast. This is my sister Mariah holding the rocket, Heather is in the backround. It seems scale is shown better when I person is in the picture and I thought I would include them

Looks great, Ryan. And the rocket ain't bad either.

Great idea putting the copper pipe in. The Sandhawk begs to be staged.:)

Thought I would revive this...

I got to see Ryan's Sandhawk get blown to little tiny bits last weekend at LDRS;) Sure was impressive.

I plan to make one now. Mine will have a 75mm motor mount, and I'm debating making a booster for it.

Ryan - I will challenge you to a drag race, 54-1400 or so of some formula or another.

54-1400 EX motor blew up. It was a little aggressive, I can't really go into details here.

Lets just say I have the casing right here, ready to go on the lathe soon in order to turn it into a 54-800;)

I wasnt gonna bring it up ... but since dan did I included a picture. Dan, I will take that challenge, and raise you 350 Newtons to a 1750 case ;) neither of us have them but if some come up ;) ;) we will need to do it. And the Terrier Needs to race the magnum too.

thats all this did, blow out the bulkead, and the damage is not bad at all. I need to cut a couple bulkheads and it will be flying agian

Back