Blackhawk R&D 5.5" Standard ARM

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnie

Reaction score
Updated 1/26/2008:

For those of you reading this thread for the first time, I have returned to this topic @ post #54, to begin a restoration project of this rocket. This rocket was built years ago, then bashed (as in not following the kit design), and is now being restored to it's original intent; an AGM-78 Standard ARM missile, with a RIM-66C paint scheme. As you read thru this madness, keep in mind, that by the time this thread is concluded, the rocket will resemble the titles original intent.

Thanks...

I have had this kit for several years now, and this past May, I got busy with it. I ran the debate of keeping the kit mint and un-opened as Blackhawk R&D is out of business...but I'm no collector, I'm a frequent flier. I bought this kit for flying and I plan to do just that.

I special ordered this kit with the optional 76mm motor mount, and third coupler with coupler stiffeners installed. The third coupler was for some dual deploy action, and the larger motor mount was for a possible L3 attempt down the road. (planning ahead)

This kit is great, my only gripe was that it came with the 5.5" stubby nose cone...I would have preferred the longer sleeker cone.

Since this bird has the added complexity of the signiture "Strakes" that the Standard ARM is known for, I had my work cut out for making this one dual deploy. since the strakes are 48" long, and the main airframe is 48" long, I needed to add an extension. With one of the three couplers, I extended the main airframe 12" so that I now have a full 60" mainframe. All dual deployment will take place above this point.

Pictured is the start of my largest project to date. This is the 12" extension glued in place

Johnnie

What better for such a large project, than making it bullet proof?

I purchased some kevlar sock, and glass sock for reinforcing my Standard Arms airframe. I rolled the K-sock on first, and doubled back about 4" at the end. Then I rolled on the glass sock. The doubled back kevlar at one end will hopefully deter any wantan zippers that might want to happen. The 4" double back goes away in 2008

Johnnie

These are scanned pics, and that last one looked like heck...sorry.

Here is the finished main frame. This K-sock and G-sock drank nearly a gallon of epoxy...it also added significant thickness to the airframe.

Johnnie

In the kitchen, I started mounting main fins to the 76mm motor mount. The fins are 1/4" aircraft grade plywood.

I surface mount all fins with 5-minute epoxy. I have tried 30-min in the past, but I dispise babysitting curing epoxy. "Watched epoxy" never cures, and as soon as you walk away, the fins move and the epoxy runs anyway...

Here, two of the 4 fins are mounted

Johnnie

Do not under estimate the strength of 5-minute epoxy...here the fins are mounted motor mount and completed in thirty minutes. The epoxy holds these fins in perfect alignment...good stuff :D

For the 5-minute epoxy, I use Bob Smith industries. For all laminations, I use Mr Fiberglass brand 3:1 med cure epoxy.

Johnnie

In this picture, are the extended payload section, the "stumpy" nosecone, and the newly fin mounted motor mount.

The payload section really deters away from the scale look, as the rocket is now way too long. But she is cool assembled for dry fits.

The nosecone has 5 pounds of rubberized silicone, with a 3/8" all-thread embedded into it for recovery attachment...I will try to show that later.

The motor mount now has two of the five 1/4" centering rings installed

Johnnie

Blackhawk provided the basics of basics in their kits. Their instructions for this kit "in a nut shell" stated, that if you bought this kit, then you already know how to put it together...

Here is the insert that came with my kit, great use of the K.I.S.S. philosophy in my opinion.

Johnnie

In this pic, the fincan is being further constructed to add a second ring at the base of the motor mount. This serves a few purposes;

1) will hold retaining hardware for motor retenton
2) will give support at the lower airframe from it is slotted all thru.
3) shock cushion for harch landings...that might be pushing it a little, but that sounds good for now.

Shown here also are the 1/4" all-threads being fed into the emerging motor mount system

The motor also utilizes 1/4" aircraft grade centering rings X (times) 5 rings.

The all-thread will travel the length of the mount and end at the coupler inside the airframe that was used to join the 12" extension to the frame. In my mind, this serves two purposes;

1) disperses the shock of ascent by dispersing the shock along the length of the airframe.

2) reduces the shock of recovery on the upper bulkhead and 1st centering ring, by dispersing the shock the reverse way down the length of the motor mount.

Johnnie

To back up a little, I must further bullet proof this rocket. The fincan got 1 layer of heavy weight Kevlar Tip-2-Tip, as well as one layer of 6 oz. glass. I am not sure of the weight of the Kevlar, as I got it at a yard sale at work for a dollar...3 yards of it..."I'd buy that for a dollar..."

Johnnie

The fin can as seen here has the layer of Kevlar, and the layer of 6 oz. glass, which I did in one wet down. The little scraps of Kevlar were doubled up at the joints, so nothing gets wasted.

Johnnie

Just another angle showing the work yet to be done.

Johnnie

Another feature that was taught to me years ago, was adding a thrust coupler to the front of the fincan. This helps support the fin slots, and adds cushion to the landings (shown here with the 4th and 5th centerings installed, with the tube coupler mounted between the 3rd and 4th ring).

Here also are the all threads are installed to this point.

The rings are tacked in palce with thin CA, and I will fillet them later with 30-minute epoxy.

Johnnie

For the upper bulkheads of the motor mount assembly, I turned a 1/2" thick ply bulkhead to add backing support to the 1/4" thick inner coupler bulkhead. Seen in this pic is the 1/4" Bukhead that seats inside the coupler, with the 1/2" bulkhead which will lock against bottom of the coupler. also in this pic are the finished off all-threads, and installed "U-bolts" for recovery.

Johnnie

Completed motor mount assembly, minus the fillets on the rings, and loctite on the all-thread nuts.

Johnnie

now thats bullet proof !

whats the trick to getting glue/ fillets on all the rings once you slide the body tube on?

whats the trick to getting glue/ fillets on all the rings once you slide the body tube on?

Well, you start by laying out a bunch of newspapers, next you put on some ugly clothes...does not matter how ugly, as they are only going to get uglier.

I just try to make sure I have epoxy on all components. The coupler in front of the fins will be a huge help in mounting this up, so I am not to concerned with getting fillets on internal centering rings. Besides, if I get epoxy all over the motor mount when I slide it in, and make a giant mess, I won't mind as long as it stays on the inside.

As it should turn out, all surfaces should have some amount of epoxy on it, and be bonded to something... :D

Johnnie

Great Job! I love it. I'm currently scratch building a 3" version. I really like your attention to detail.

On getting the epoxy to stick to the side joints between the body tube and centering ring I run through the same process, but when done I spin the rocket around like a washing machine to pull the epoxy to the outside and then let it settle. Really works nice with a thin epoxy. (I use West and Aeropoxy)

I'm taking a slightly different approach to my rocket - this is my light build. I'm using foamboard CR's and glassing foamboard for the fins. Should be interesting.

Great work - is it going to see any sweet treats?

Edward

Thanks for the kudos Edward, this one does seem to be taking me awhile to get thru...

Hopefully a Red Rhino M for L3 next year???

Edit: Possibly a Loki M1882LW at ST2008

Johnnie

For the multiple CR issue I usually put a little epoxy up where the upper CR will go and then push the MMT up until the first ring is past the fin slots. Then I tilt the rocket forward onto its front end but angles a little and using a dowel work epoxy through the slots onto the inside of the tube above them. Repeat the above proccess for each ring as you push foward. The lower ones can be glued by lifting the bt between the slots just like Johnnierkt said. Hope that makes sense. :)

LMazza,

When it comes time to seal the motor mount forever, I will have to employ a little of your method, a little of mine, mixed with a little luck...anyways, I will make a date for it, and make sure that I have all the bases covered.

Once I get the motor mount assembly in, then I will mount the strakes, and glass and fillet all the fins...yuck!

Then I will build the ebay and recovery system:

Ebay:

(1) RRC2 and (1) MAWD from perfect flite; (4) scratch made pyrotechnique devices (ejection canisters) and all associated switches.

Edit: New 2008 configuration will use (1) MAWD and (1) HA45, both from Perfect Flight

Recovery:

Drogue= Special order "X" chute from the forums own Edward of "Skies The Limit Rocketry" out of Colorado.

Harness= 30' of 1" Tubular Nylon (used for mountain climbing gear)

Main= 17' military surplus parachute w/ deployment bag and 24" square deployment bag drogue chute.

Harness= 30' of same 1" tubular nylon, all of it is designer Purple :D My color.

No pics of any of this yet, sorry.

Johnnie

This project has morphed since my last post. Since I am designing large paraffin EX hybrid motors, this rocket was my only available vehicle, and now will be made just for that...but not without alot of modifying, and sacrifice.

modify: tubes needed more strategic cutting...
sacrifice: No strakes :(

Modify: I will now be using the 2800cc Baby M motor from HyperTEK (M960)
Sacrifice: Scale looks are out the window, as the rocket needed to get bigger to accomodate the 55.5" motor...

Here is a faint image of the booster in a newer config. You can see a faint line where I cut 11" off of the 60" booster. This will allow me future access to mounting my EX motors. The 11" is mounted to the fins can, and the remaining 49" is coupled on.

Johnnie

Since my L3 design is utilizing the stock 1/4" fins from the original kit, I needed to strengthen as I built. As seen in earlier posts, I used heavy weave Kevlar (R) to mount the fins to the motor tube. Now that the 11" partial booster tube is mounted, I need to increase the fillet size and glass the fillets. To do this, I too1/2" triangular balsa strips, and commenced to sanding until the strip fit between the airframe and the fin. I then made a standard fillet with epoxy, and then laid this strip of balsa on top of it. This was secured in place at such an angle as to ride the fillet highr up on the fin. The same volume of epoxy would have added too much weight, this worked perfectly.

The resulting fillet was further beefed up with a layer of 6oz. fiberglass and a layer of 2oz. veiled fiberglass that was laid fin tip to fin tip.

Johnnie

...did I mention that I sanded my tail off on this project today?

Here is another view of the fillets (sanded) going the full length of the fins.

Johnnie

The 60" booster (49" + 11" together) does not even fit in the frame...

Johnnie

To make room for the 55.5" HyperTEK M, I needed centering rings that are all the way into the Drogue compartment. In other words, a once made bulkhead now has a big hole in it...

Johnnie

Since the motor takes up so much room, I had to make more airframe. In this pic the added 12" of airframe can be seen next to the 34" main chute payload tube...this comes to 119" of rocket...

sacrfice: no scale Standard ARM to be found anymore

Edit: In 2008, this is null and void...the strakes come back!

Johnnie

Wow, that rocket is a beast. Even if it isn't scale, it will sure impress people...
Reed

The comment was made by a local rocketeer that 5.5" airframe and couplers is what he makes his casting tubes and liners out of for his 6" dia. P motor...In fact the reload for his P weighs as much as this rocket will weigh when it is ready to fly, @ a mere light weight 45 pounds.

I like my wow factor in this 5.5" airframe, it will be repeatable...he had to throw all of his components away after one firing...bummer :D

ST2005 is coming up fast: MAY 14th and 15th.

Edit: ST2008 is coming up fast...

Johnnie

Johnnie, are you sure about those dates for ST2006? MC2's schedule has it listed as the April launch.

The bird is looking pretty good! I'm looking forward to seeing you, and all the others do your L3's this season. Hopefully, I'll be moving up to L2 before the end of the year :)

Back