BlackHawk Carbon 29mm Min. Diam. build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't get to rockets to show the tracker and NC assembled today.

The following pics just to show varying clearances of parts.

Had to file a very small amount of plastic off the Battery clip to get it in the tube.

The whole thing held together by pulling the shock cord tight then clamping it on the outside of coupler bp. Only thing I have not figured out is the clamping part. I could just wrap it around a screw and washer, then screw down tight. But holding out for a better solution.
Have had all hooked up and running. Set on tree limb and got a good signal from 1 mile away, so I know it will work. Figured to paint the tube flour. orange to aid in finding it.

Also drilled hole in sled under sensor as it was tight to sled, to allow proper sampling

100_3128.jpg

100_3131.jpg

100_3132.jpg

100_3137.jpg

100_3138.jpg

I want to dual-deploy mine, so the battery outside the coupler won't work, with the way I have things setup.

-Kevin

Same with me. It appears that the HiAlt fits in the coupler, so I will most likely order up a 12" section of coupler and see what I can do. I will most likely order this rocket in the next week or so.

-Dan

Having already flown I-200 .....with the heavy empty Motor it falls like a stone with the 12in chute just breaking the fall perfectly. It's carbon so it can take it.

I see no need to DD [for me anyhow] and just complicate matters further.

I want an accurate apogee event to make the most of the coast. Then find it with a tracker.

How is DD going to make it fall any faster ...do you guys think? Or should I ask
what do you intend to put out at apogee then Main.

From what I've seen I don't think it will fall much faster naked and you run the risk of backsliding and an even further walk without a streamer or something to brake it.

I can't wait to try the CTI and tailcone closure. Tim had one at LDRS, but sold it IMMEDIATELY before I could grab it.

I want to dual-deploy mine, so the battery outside the coupler won't work, with the way I have things setup.

-Kevin

Sure it will, just hold the battery tight with interior bp plate, leaving room for ejection charge and laundry on the other side of BP plate.

All will be held in place from the other end and the fancy nuts and inserts you show. Or if need be turn the whole thing around!

Having already flown I-200 .....with the heavy empty Motor it falls like a stone with the 12in chute just breaking the fall perfectly. It's carbon so it can take it.

I see no need to DD [for me anyhow] and just complicate matters further.

I'm not at all comfortable with bringing a CF rocket down faster than I would a normal rocket. It's a safety concern.

How is DD going to make it fall any faster ...do you guys think? Or should I ask what do you intend to put out at apogee then Main.

A streamer at apogee, to cause it to stay oriented properly on the way down, then pop the main.

From what I've seen I don't think it will fall much faster naked and you run the risk of backsliding and an even further walk without a streamer or something to brake it.

I don't like drogueless -- I've seen disasters from it. At the very least, the drogue is needed to keep things organized on the way down.

I can't wait to try the CTI and tailcone closure. Tim had one at LDRS, but sold it IMMEDIATELY before I could grab it.

Details?

-Kevin

I was planning on going drogueless at apogee, with the 12" main at about 300'. I generally always go drogueless, especially on something of this nature. I am also toying with the idea of placing the tracker on the shock cord to deploy at apogee, unless the tracker will fit in the cone.

-Dan

Tailcone closure....

Jeroen had one at LDRS for the 29mm hardware. After I talked him out of it for a trial run myself, Tim sold it when I wasn't looking.

It's really a slick little closure. Tapers from the outside casing diam. right down to the nozzle.

Last edited:
Since I digging through photo's.....here is my solution to mounting the shock cord.

I opted for heavy friction fitting the motor, so to allow for banging it out with a stick from the front end, had to make the shock cord attachment removable.

For flying with smaller motors might as well build in a baffle.
glued a bp to the coupler piece provided with the kit.

Drilled several holes for baffle and 1 to attach Kevlar shock cord.

Drilled hole in airframe for rivet to hold baffle assembly in place, higher up the airframe than the largest motor I will use.

Slide assembly into tube, shove below rivet hole, insert rivet [longer version] and snug up to rivet so its butted against it.

After flying remove and insert stick....bang out the motor!

100_3140.jpg

100_3143.jpg

100_3144.jpg

100_3145.jpg

For flying 24mm motors [which is what is the most fun for me, no long walks and flight between 2-3000ft] this is the adapter I made.

Cut standard Loc 29 to 24mm adapter in half.

Glue a ring that comes with single use 29mm motors to end for thrust ring.

Slide motor into adapter, now wrap a few turns of tape on exposed front of motor so it can't kick out during ejection.

Friction fit or a wrap or 2 of tape around airframe and thrust ring will hold it in.
paper on paper acts as insulation and prevents tape glue from getting hot and losing the adapter.

100_3146.jpg

100_3148.jpg

100_3147.jpg

Well I to will use a Alt45 and a 9volt battery, but in a DD setup, let it split and fall at apogee drougeless or a small streamer and open the main at 300 to 500 feet. My shock cord mount is exactly the same as CJ, and add a small piece of FG behind the NC for the tracker.

this rocket is next in line, after a another FG build I'm now starting, So just sit back and listen to all the pro and cons, and prepare for that build:cheers:

Hmmm.... Nice for altitude attempts, except that you need a forward engine block of some sort....
You can drop a thin washer in between the retainer and the casing. If it is 1/16" thick or thinner it will not affect motor sealing.

Jeroen

I swear the one you had at LDRS was a much longer cone than the one in the drawing. Prototype or just a bad memory?

I swear the one you had at LDRS was a much longer cone than the one in the drawing. Prototype or just a bad memory?
This is the same as what you saw. It probably looked longer because of the threads - that are engaged in this drawing. But I'll double check at the office tomorrow.

Jeroen

any suggestions or pictures of how guys are attaching the shock cord to the body of the blackhawk 29 rocket ?

must have looked right over post #98
was wondering if there were any other ways maybe other people had tried
trying to keep the body as sleek as possible

Yes as per the instruction manual, posted on Wildmans site or during the build portion of this thread ......glue it in ......instead of making it removable.

However that being said, you will be causing much more aerodynamic turbulence with a slim line or aero-pack glued on the back of the tube, than a single rivet holding in the coupler.

DSCN3108.JPG

DSCN3106.JPG

Projectblackhawk+(3).JPG

What tracker do you use in a rocket this small? I would like to build one of these and I don't know which tracker would fit in it.

Sam

What tracker do you use in a rocket this small? I would like to build one of these and I don't know which tracker would fit in it.

Sam

I used the tracker Don has the link to, just had to remove it from the case. Post 44 describes how it was used and why it works. Most any will fit.

A lot of times people just come in on a thread after many pages, it really pays off to go back and start at the beginning cause in many cases you'll miss the answers to already asked questions and important build techniques. But that's OK too...... we're all guilty of it from time to time!

I just finished my blackhawk DD yesterday, and am a little concerned about the decent rate with a the 12" chute. With everything loaded up (save the streamer and ejct charges) it will come in at about 425-440g w/o motor. Even with a chute and streamer, seems like it would be coming down pretty hot.

BTW - for my shock cord mount, I epoxied a 1"x1"x1/6" aluminum plate (left over from the avionics sled) in to the 1" section of coupler, then epoxied an eye bolt onto that and glued the whole assembly into the tube, leaving space for a Pro296XL case. I don't remember cutting a section of coupler off of my main coupler, so maybe it was included in the kit?

I had the same concerns at first, but after all it is carbon and will take a pretty good hit without damage. Not proud of it but for one reason or another, I'm on my 3rd lawndart with NO damage or than the finish.
Unless your on playa or a gravel runway you should be OK.

Lets see some photos of your setup. Especially the Altimeter sled and e-bay .

Last edited:
Well, since you asked...

The parrot wouldn't fit in half the bay with the screw terminals, so I inverted it and made a hole in the sled for it. I drilled and tapped two holes and mounted the alt with standoffs, then just epoxied on an A23 holder. The closures are two stainless washers (1" and 1.25", ground down to about 0.990 and 1.125") which fit perfectly) on each end. The stainless eyes screw into thd couplers epoxied to the reverse of the sled. The sled itself is good for about 80lbs worst case (I'm assuming I got 1000 series Aluminum), but if I get nervous, I can thread a #10 rod through both couplers. I epoxied them on with the rod in place to make sure the threads lined up.

Darned thing weighs a ton (well, 108g including the eyes). I plan on threading the charge leads through the central holes in the washers then adding a g10 or balsa cap with a channel routed in it to prevent debris in the av-bay. This is my first attempt at avionics, so I'm just hoping it works!

Not shown in the pic is that I also drilled the top of the payload bay and tapped the nose cone so I could undo the DD and fly it as a shortened version with motor eject. I still don't know how you got yours so light...I'm at close to 260g - over 9 oz - in the shortened version, and the missing payload bay weighs over 50g empty (it was cut from the main tube). I'd hoped that it might fly on BP, but a D12 doesn't look like it would be stable (then again, I've launched an aerotech arreaux on a E9...though that's not something I'd repeat!)

Blackhawk Full.jpg

Blackhawk Av-Bay.jpg

Blackhawk Av-Bay Exploded.jpg

Blackhawk Av-Sled.jpg

Blackhawk Av-Sled reverse.jpg

Forgot one...

Here's how my shock cord is anchored to the nosecose. The BT anhcor is similar, except that I glued the plate into the 1" coupler, and then glued that into the body tube

Blackhawk NC Anchor.jpg

My makeshift curing oven

Since I did DD, by cutting the tub down, mine actually fit in the oven. My wife asked me what I was baking, and I told her it was a rocket. She asked if we were going to have it for lunch or dinner. :roll:

Back