BlackHawk Carbon 29mm Min. Diam. build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Niklas,

Thanks !
Good to se a fellow Swede here :)

------
Great idea rockie! I am in need of a similar set up and will incorporate this ingenious idea into my current project. Well done.
I actually got the idea from the manual included with the perfectflite altimeter so i cant take all the credit hehe , but i did my own version of it. :)

I noticed one "smaaaalll" glitch i my design, the pin really needs to be at the center and going tru the ebay coupler ring or i need to pull the pin out while inserting the ebay into the rocket ;)

Oh well i think i can make it work somehow. Problem is there is almost zero room for anything in the center of the ebay hehe.

----
5x7,

Yeah i have thought about those but they seem so tiny. Are they friction fitted or what prevents them from falling out?

5x7,

Yeah i have thought about those but they seem so tiny. Are they friction fitted or what prevents them from falling out?

If you drill a 1/16" hole the pin will usually be a little hard to push in, you might need to sharpen the end of the rod a little to get it to start to push in. They do vary. On a rocket with 15 flights, one of the holes is a little big, and I flatten the pin a tiny bit with pliers before inserting to make sure it's tight.

If you drill a 1/16" hole the pin will usually be a little hard to push in, you might need to sharpen the end of the rod a little to get it to start to push in. They do vary. On a rocket with 15 flights, one of the holes is a little big, and I flatten the pin a tiny bit with pliers before inserting to make sure it's tight.

Sound worth a try. Bought some styrene rods and a couple of tiny drills.
Mayby ground-testing this weekend if i get everything ready. Will make a video and upload if i do.

Update.

I have began groundtesting. I will use a 12" drouge 24" main (i should probably have choosen a 18" becouse its really tight now :p )

0,3grams of BP still seems a bit to powerfull but i dont know if i want to go lower. I want the bulb filament to be covered good in the bp and not get uncovered if some leaks out or tilts to the side.

Better to be on the safe side right ?

Some pics,
Added since last time:

"Low profile" launchbuttons
Skrews (+ epoxy) in lower airframe holds the shockcord mount (and for looks ofc hehe)
2x styrene rods in each section.
Small silver markings/grooves for aligning.
And more clearcoating ! :D

DSC04166.JPG

DSC04173.JPG

DSC04185.JPG

Better to be on the safe side right ?

I'd say that if your ground testing shows conclusively that the charges aren't going to destroy your recovery gear or snap the cord you are fine.

Looking good.

-Dave

I'd say that if your ground testing shows conclusively that the charges aren't going to destroy your recovery gear or snap the cord you are fine.

Looking good.

-Dave

Ok that's what i thought, i leave it at that admount.
Then there is the main shockord which is pretty short becouse the limited space but i thought if the drouge has a longer shockcord it equals out the stresses some when the main pops ?

WILDMANRS,

Question for you all that have built the Blackhawk 29 or 24 -

Has anyone considered using a carbon fiber launch lug(s) instead of rail buttons? Other than looks, is there a major downside to using it?

None if you keep them small. Good cheap source for carbon lugs is arrow shafts. Buy a cheap carbon arrow at Wal-Mart or sporting goods store and cut to required length.

But these little screamers beg to be tower launched if looking for maximum performance. For day to day flying it really doesn't matter.

But using buttons allows you to remove them if you do tower launch and put them back on for normal flying.

Good to know! Thanks Jim!

Reason being is the Blackhawk 24 is on my build list and I currently do not have a rail launching system. I could always build one, however, my current pad can take up to a 1/2" rod. I know most clubs have everything I need to rail or tower launch, but curiosity got to me.

Adding to my question - Since I'm currently dabbling into the MPR world, how would you rate the Blackhawk series in terms of build difficulty? It seems working with the high heat epoxy might be the biggest challenge. If I need to get some other kits under my belt first, I'll happily do that. I find carbon fiber to be extremely sexy looking, while being probably the most durable rocket I'd ever build.

Thanks

Good to know! Thanks Jim!

Adding to my question - Since I'm currently dabbling into the MPR world, how would you rate the Blackhawk series in terms of build difficulty? It seems working with the high heat epoxy might be the biggest challenge. If I need to get some other kits under my belt first, I'll happily do that. I find carbon fiber to be extremely sexy looking, while being probably the most durable rocket I'd ever build.

Thanks

Well look at it like this: epoxy fillet skills are needed when building many mid and most high power rockets. You got to learn them sometime if you are going to build rockets.
Just have to take that first step!
Start by reading then re-reading the build thread. Check out the different manuals provided on Wildman's site under all the Wildman kits. Especially the mid-power ones for starters. They are all down-loadable for reading at a later date or reference.

Not much different from building a surface mounted fin on a Estes kit. First tack the fins on, when cured, apply fillets.

You can always try it out by applying some epoxy fillets on a low/mid power kit rather than the standard Elmer's glue. Then you develop your skills without much risk other than rip them off and to it again for the mere price of some balsa fins! If you have ever caulked a bathtub or done any caulking when painting your almost home!

The kits come with a fin guide that makes alignment a no brainer. If you follow the build manual's pictorials and text, it's quite simple really.
Many I have talked to were amazed at the results they got after overcoming the initial apprehension they were feeling.

The manual walks you through everything step by step. You get enough of the epoxy to practice on something else first if need be. Check it out for yourself and let me know what you think.

Finally you can always call or e-mail me or Wildman with any questions you may have, and get walked through any questions you may have.

You can see the build manual here the blue dot:
https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/default.asp?groupid=1&groupid1=612121482&prodid=345226331032419

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/default.asp?groupid=1&groupid1=612121482&prodid=347680877917363

In closing I might add they are very reasonably priced for what you get.
The performance on Black powder and small AP motors is incredible to say the least. You can play like the big boys, with very cheap cost in motors AND have one of sexiest carbon rockets around!

I see you are a professional photographer by trade, so you must have good attention for detail. That is what is pretty much needed for doing this. So I would feel safe to say you could handle it in stride!

Last edited:
Jim -

Thank you so much for the detailed and thoughtful response!

You are absolutely correct that I need to learn how to do epoxy at some point. Great suggestion trying it out on a cheap kit (or to anything, really) to get the hang of it. I have read the instructions at least 3 times over and I don't even own the kit yet. I'll do some more reading on the website.

I love the look of these rockets! I've scoured the internet to find a great looking mid-powered kits to take on. So many wonderful companies and rockets to look at, but none (I think) come close to what Wildman has to offer...and ESPECIALLY for the price. That is a big factor to most all of us who do this hobby. Performance for cost means a great deal to me.

I appreciate the comment about an eye for detail. I sure do like to think that I have one. If I find myself out at LDRS 30 next year, you can best bet I will have an arsenal of camera equipment to take some cool shots.

Thanks again, and again.

Chris

I'm currently between computers so will ask here for your expertese and help.

I have a Blackhawk 29 ready to go and need help picking the reload.
It weighs 10.33 oz ready to fly with Walstron, minus motor and case.

I have some AT reloads inhale and expect to have CTI reloads available on Sunday.

I have F52-8T, G53-7FJ, G53-10FJ, G64-10W, and G76-10G
Which of these are best for the first flight ?
And which CTI 3 grain reload would you use for the second flight ??

If anyone has the time to Sim these and recommend an optimal delay, It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Kevin

Here you go...the G64-10W looks like a good match (but a 3k flight), with the G76-10G and F52-8T also good.

Blackhawk29.jpg

Bear in mind that with any of these loads you will be very lucky to see it at apogee. Unless you have eagle eyes.

For a first time, make sure all is OK flight...... a F-24-7...F-39-6 [24-40 case if you have one]will get you around 12-1500 and you will barely see it! Or similar motor.

This is a small black rocket, it moves quick and disappears fast. Of course if you painted it bright color/s that helps.

I flew it once on a G -78 -10 single use [the green whichever that one is] and it went 3886 according to the tiny Pico altimeter that was in it. Also on board was a rocket hunter. Once the smoke from burn was gone, so was seeing the rocket. And that's just shy of another 1000ft over the sim!

Last edited:
But what about that Wildman Pledge, Jim ? :)

Well.......after the shake down.....I-200 was the 2nd flight!

Every now & then a wave of common sense strikes me! LOL

The shakedown was a D-12-3. Originally was going to go up through several motors to see how small and how large and how ell it would fly on them, so I would know what motors to recommend for different size fields........

that theory went right out the window when Tim said something like this....

It flies [barely] on the smallest......got no time for the in between....go find the biggest one I got in the trailer & let's see what happens.

Now you know "the rest of the story"

That H410 is one sweet motor. I put one in my PML Tethys yesterday. It broke the Quick Switch adapter and shot the motor through the rocket. No real damage, though.

Don't blink on that flight!

I would like to get one of those Pico altimeters first, if Tim is out I'll try to get the ONE from Apogee.

?

If Tim is out try here: https://www.picoalt.com/

These units are more robust than the Apogee ones and are accurate to 40,000 ft.
Contact Robert DeHate and ask for the Blackhawk version, has the battery right on board and only weighs 2.3grams with battery. 40.00

If you haven't followed it, more info here.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=11094

Check out post 41 if you plan to fly Warp-9 or V-max loads. There is one small issue I address there.

Glad you had some nice flights. Little bugger really scoots, doesn't it!

If you do use the One....make sure to TAPE[electrical tape] it to the shockcord, the little clip is prone to breaking on high G flights.

Last edited:
I had read that thread and this one real time and went back and reread them both last week as I finished my BH 29.
That thread is why I want the Pico. Thanks for the reminder about the tooth pick trick. I
Knew exactly what you were referring to but may not have related it to the V-Max.

Time to start my BH 38. I have a question about it but will PM you.

KM

A Raven will fit nicely in a 29mm (or 24mm) tube as well.

A Raven will fit nicely in a 29mm (or 24mm) tube as well.

You need to get crack'n on av-bays for these and the 24's.... there are literally hundreds of them out there in need. Hint.... hint.

All the larger motors don't have delays long enough, just firing an apogee charge will get them WAY more altitude!

Of course that new thingie with Gps or tracking would even be mo better.

Had two good flights on the AT G64 - 10W today ... Well two flights anyway.
As you said Jim, out of site. One landed 200 yards away and the other maybe 1/2 mile out. Never saw either apogee, ejection, or descent.
Walstron showed me where they were.

Got some reloads to try in 2 weeks at our next Bayboro launch.
I would like to get one of those Pico altimeters first, if Tim is out I'll try to get the ONE from Apogee.

Got the CTI H410 V-Max, H87 I-Max, G106 Skidmark, and G118 Blue Streak.
Much more than these and we'll need to use other than motor deployment ... Won't we. ?

Can you describe how you mounted your Walston in it?

Thanks!

Back