BlackHawk 29 Dual Deploy Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the data. Great to not have to reinvent the wheel. I'm building one of Wildman's 3" BlackStars... 600' will be my pick for that.

600' will be fine. I actually have been running 400' on my Intimidator 3 (almost identical) with a 66" military chute. I am 5/5 with main deployment so far.

Another good story that this reminded me of. I had a snap ring slip out of my 54-800 cases snap ring groove and chuck my Intimidator to a 264' apogee. The ARTS2 successfully deployed the drogue and main, and the rocket landed safely without damage.

BH-29DD prepped for flight tomorrow... Lets hope I don't need a snorkel this time!

Well... I'm learning a lot with this rocket!!

F36SS... just as a test flight. A mild-moderate wind today... The site has high weeds and I didn't want to have to search too long.

Launch was fine... but rocket didn't separate at apogee... rocket was coming in ballistic to 300' at which point the altimeter fired.

Main deployed nominally,... but the the sustainer also separated under the shock load, and snapped the sustainer's kevlar harness.

All parts found.

Lessons learned:
1. My motor retention worked:
-Friction fit with an additional bent piece of piano wire estes style- this has a small tab on the front end that penetrates a small hole. then taped in place.
2. 300' was plenty of altitude even coming in hot. The 'chute was full with 200' to go.
3. I downsized the Kevlar harness to 200# Kevlar cord. Obviously too small. Will re-rig with 1/8": 750# kevlar.
4. My fit between the sustainer and av bay was apparently too tight for the charge. a 29mm doesn't have much volume,... but it also doesn't have much surface area to act on. Options- increase charge or loosen the fit.

Some Pad Pics...

I have video of the launch on my I-phone,... but put it down before apogee so not of the interesting bits caught.

BH-099.jpg

BH-100.jpg

BH-101.jpg

Don't feel bad. I believe doing dual deploy on a small diameter rocket and getting it "just right" is actually one of the hardest things to do in this hobby. There is actually a lot less room for error compared to a larger rocket.

Don't feel bad. I believe doing dual deploy on a small diameter rocket and getting it "just right" is actually one of the hardest things to do in this hobby. There is actually a lot less room for error compared to a larger rocket.

Thanks for the support! As long as I can identify what went wrong,... why,... and improve... I feel OK with it.

Part of the reason I went with the BH29 for learning as problems aren't catastrophic.

I'm confident the next flight will be successful.

Started the re-rigging with 750# kevlar...

Re-did nosecone bridle. New payload section shock cord. New Sustainer section shock cord.

Finished re-rigging this AM.

All Kevlar Cord (750#). 3x3 Nomex protectors added to sustainer and payload segments (15" thin mil chute got badly scorched). 12" parachute used as that's what I have at hand.

Ready for flight BH-29^3!

All Kevlar Cord (750#). 3x3 Nomex protectors added to sustainer and payload segments (15" thin mil chute got badly scorched). 12" parachute used as that's what I have at hand.

Any date for the flight?

First Saturday in Feb.

Will also be the first flight of my mini eagle claw dual deploy that day.

Did you fly before without Nomex?

Very nice. Please post pics and videos of the flight. I have this kit and appreciate the build thread.

Last edited:
Did you fly before without Nomex?

Yes. I was using dog barf. After shortening, and the space the 9V battery consumes, apparently not enough room in the Payload section to protect the parachute.

I will be looking forward to this, I will be flying on Feb 23rd. Last minute I decided to make some changes to mine.

Thanks. What changes are you making? Off to see if you posted in your thread...

Popped the question yet?? Or waiting for V-Day?

Very nice. Please post pics and videos of the flight. I have this kit and appreciate the build thread.

Thanks Chuck. I'm glad I shortened it a few inches. But using an altimeter that doesn't require a huge 9V would be a big plus.

Yes. I was using dog barf. After shortening, and the space the 9V battery consumes, apparently not enough room in the Payload section to protect the parachute.

Thanks. What changes are you making? Off to see if you posted in your thread...

Popped the question yet?? Or waiting for V-Day?

Thanks Chuck. I'm glad I shortened it a few inches. But using an altimeter that doesn't require a huge 9V would be a big plus.

I have not posted about any changes yet, I am just changing up the shock cord anchor on the nose cone and inside the body.

Nope I have not asked, I am waiting till I have the ring in my hands. It is a custom ring and will take a couple of weeks to finish.

I have not posted about any changes yet, I am just changing up the shock cord anchor on the nose cone and inside the body.

Nope I have not asked, I am waiting till I have the ring in my hands. It is a custom ring and will take a couple of weeks to finish.

Any news?

I have my maiden flight on Feb 23rd. Just checking up :)

Back