BlackHawk 29 Dual Deploy Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Powered up... Magnetic switch works like a champ.

BH-085.jpg

And Assembled.

BH-086.jpg

Next up... Finishing.

I'm going to clear coat first. Detail color last.

Clear coat done... drying now.

I'm not going for the "CJ perfect" finish! This rocket is going to get lots of flight time... so the finish will have battle scars soon enough.

All thats left to do is add the Detail Color and install Rail Buttons.

Have to decide if I'm using the chrome Black Hawk 29 Vinyl.

Unfortunately yes. No launch tower. Besides,... she's not getting a tracker.

If it helps the way I did my rail buttons, is I grinded down the screw so it is long enough to sit inside the airframe without restricting a motor.

Then wrapped my 6GXL case in wax paper, so when I epoxy the rail buttons into place it prevents dripping.

If it helps the way I did my rail buttons, is I grinded down the screw so it is long enough to sit inside the airframe without restricting a motor.

Then wrapped my 6GXL case in wax paper, so when I epoxy the rail buttons into place it prevents dripping.

Thanks. Just did it the same way. Painters tape on the tube, wrapped with Wax Paper for a pretty tight fit. Used JB weld on the screws...

Clear Coat complete. Rail Buttons on.

Setting aside for 48 hours before detail paint.

Anyone have any thoughts on the chrome finish Black Hawk 29 Vinyl? I'm thinking it might aid in visibility,... and it'll break up the amount of black,... so I'm leaning to putting it on? Thoughts? Opinions?

BH-087.jpg

BH-088.jpg

BH-089.jpg

BH-090.jpg

Anything to help you find it. Also, if you're not going to run a tracker, something like an Adept audio beacon will help IMMENSELY, this little bugger sinks to the very bottom of all vegetation and sits there giggling while you stomp around grumbling about how you KNOW it's here somewhere.

Anything to help you find it. Also, if you're not going to run a tracker, something like an Adept audio beacon will help IMMENSELY, this little bugger sinks to the very bottom of all vegetation and sits there giggling while you stomp around grumbling about how you KNOW it's here somewhere.

The first launch will be at a mowed grass park. The only reason I'm using a streamer at apogee is for air / ground visibility. If I fly it at my HPR site,... I'll definitely take your advice!

The first launch will be at a mowed grass park. The only reason I'm using a streamer at apogee is for air / ground visibility. If I fly it at my HPR site,... I'll definitely take your advice!

Ahhh, fair enough. And I believe you mean when you fly it at your HPR site, as once you watch this thing scoot on an F you'll be thinking "I wonder what that would look like on a 6xl I243..." :D

Ahhh, fair enough. And I believe you mean when you fly it at your HPR site, as once you watch this thing scoot on an F you'll be thinking "I wonder what that would look like on a 6xl I243..." :D

I'm sure you are correct. Was typing quickly... interesting freudian slip. My HPR field has high grass / soft scrub,... 1'-4' tall in sections. Exactly the stuff to make the BH29 invisible.

I used the Chrome finish "Black Hawk 29" Vinyl. Between breaking up the long body and aiding visibility,... seemed like good idea.

I decided to forgo paint for the trim, and used MonoKote Dayglo Red trim sheet (it's actual Orange-Red).

BH-091.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jim! And she is pointy!

As she sits, she weighs 10.1 ounces (the Av Bay coupler is completely empty w/o HW / endplates or electronics).

Rigged and ready for flight with 4 x 40" apogee streamer,... 15 " main chute,... Av Bay assembled,... and with 9V battery installed,... she weight 15.8 ounces. (no motor)

Last edited:
Tested my deployment charges today. I ran 2 tests. I used 0.75 grams of Goex 3F BP for both. Success X 2 (nose cone separates, and chute / shock cord deploys).

I'm quite pleased. That's my first go at making charges.

I think I'm ready for flight. My first several fights are going to use engine deploy at apogee, with altimeter deployed main. Then I'll progress to altimeter control for both events, with engine backup.

Have a Launch available next saturday,... need to check what the wife has scheduled for us. The boys loved testing the charges!! They're excited to see her fly.

Now I just have to make sure they don't tell their school teacher about... "the rocket their dad is building with the bomb he made inside it!" Which is precisely what they told their piano teacher!

Last edited:
Have a Launch available next saturday,... need to check what the wife has scheduled for us. The boys loved testing the charges!! They're excited to see her fly.

Now I just have to make sure they don't tell their school teacher about... "the rocket their dad is building with the bomb he made inside it!" Which is precisely what they told their piano teacher!
Me too! I expect a flight report and some media!

And my engineering teacher just rolls his eyes at me when I bring in motors to my buddy Mike...

Me too! I expect a flight report and some media!

And my engineering teacher just rolls his eyes at me when I bring in motors to my buddy Mike...

I'm afraid to use the computer at work to research rockets, black powder, how to build an explosive charge, etc, etc... , especially when you're responsible for the city's water.

Tested my deployment charges today. I ran 2 tests. I used 0.75 grams of Goex 3F BP for both. Success X 2 (nose cone separates, and chute / shock cord deploys).

I'm quite pleased. That's my first go at making charges.

How did you make the charges?

How did you make the charges?

For my first adventures in dual deploy I got 10 wildman ejection lighter / tubes. they come with about 3" long tube. cut the tube down to about 1". filled with ~ 0.75 gram 3F BP... a little bit of wadding above the charge... masking tape cap. worked like a charm!

Was able to rearrange my schedule today... Maiden flight scheduled Sat 12/1.

Will run some sims this weekend to pic motors. Plan on 2 flights assuming flight 1 goes well.

Was able to rearrange my schedule today... Maiden flight scheduled Sat 12/1.

Will run some sims this weekend to pic motors. Plan on 2 flights assuming flight 1 goes well.

I have faith that both flights will go well.

Thanks Jim!

I think I should add the reminder that I chose the BH-29 since I can fly her both MPR and HPR. The 12/1 date will be at my local NAR MPR limited field.

Back