Blackcat 4th

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnie

Reaction score
I'm not going to LDRS this year, so I must make the best of it...

...So I made my yearly pilgrimage to South Pittsburg, TN and The Tennessee Alabama Fireworks store, and loaded the family car up with Fireworks. :D
I got all my favorites (Blackcat rules for mortars) and anything else that caught my eye.

Favorite:

Silver Fox bottle rockets - Skidmark Squirrel wanna be
Blackcat Mortar assortments
Blackcat mini-mortar called the Derringer
Twitter Glitters
Roman Candle - w/ report of course
Saturn Missile barrage - 250 shots!!
and too much to list...

Toney, AL is gonna burn on the 4th

Anyone else hometown bound and can't go to LDRS gonna do fireworks?...what are your favorites?

Unfortunately, I live in the peoples Republic of California, Where we are protected from ourselves. Sparklers, smoke pots and fountains as long as the sparks go no higher than 5 feet above the ground is all we get.:( :( :( :(

I also live in a state that believes we should be protected from ourselves. Even sparklers are a no-no:(

But I still like:

Twitter Glitters
Temple in Heaven
Flashing Thunder
Saturn Missle Battery
Whistling Jupiters

plus lots more

whenever i get fireworks i go to see my see me relative in New Orleans on new years and stock up for all year.

for the forth of july i got

m-150's
black cats 16 shot firecrackers
little dynamite
morning glories
flying saucers
and
bottle rockets

i love fireworks
:D

Since I also won't be going to LDRS, I stocked up on some fireworks.

A friend of mine and I got:

Two Phantom 300 shot missile bases, I can't wait to light these babies.:D :D :D

Two King Kong fountains. I've set these off before, lots of noise, lots of red and green sparks, very impressive.

Some assorted smoke bombs, monster eggs, I love these too.

Am I a pyro maniac or what???:confused: :D :D :D

Donald remind me to water the lawn that night so you dont burn up all my grass.

Dan

Nah, you don't have to do that. I'm going to be doing it in my neighborhood. We have a lot of people around here that set them off every year. You'd be surprised how many nose cones and other leftovers that I find the next day.

Besides, I think Cape Coral has more strict fireworks laws than Fort Myers.

Thanks anyway:D

Over in the UK we too are very limited in what we buy.
Ok Ok , you think your rockets are loud ? Take a look at these :D
https://www.brightstaruk.com//documents/video/high_1569.wmv
They're called Hell Raisers , and when you see the video , you will know why :p

One very loud & long lasting 48 shot barrage called TOWERING INFERNO
https://www.brightstaruk.com//documents/video/high_1934.wmv

One of my most favorite mines that we get every year & new year, Big Bahooma
https://www.brightstaruk.com//documents/video/high_1075.wmv

Karl

Originally posted by BobH48
I also live in a state that believes we should be protected from ourselves. Even sparklers are a no-no:(

you arent kidding, they can be aquired though, the fireworks shops line the boarder to NH

A few years ago, a friend's high school son was visiting from Vermont. I guess you can't buy fireworks there. Anyway, he just went to a fireworks stand, loaded up & put them all in his suitcase for his flight back to Vermont. This was prior to 9-11, I believe. His bags made it through the X-rays OK. I do not know if the fireworks were in the take on luggage or not, but they arrived safely in VT. :eek:

I lived in El Paso, TX for many years, and Fireworks were a no-no there as well ( too dry ). . . but here in the Heart of Dixie, there is a TNT or Blackcat stand on every corner.

Every year for the last 15 years, My wife and I have made the hour and a half drive to this little Tennessee town that flourishes on year around firework sales. Only once a year though, we tried going up for newyears, but it did not work out, so we limit ourselves to the 4th.

We have fountains, rockets, smoke bombs ( pick a color, we got em ), we have salutes, saturn missile barrages, snap pops, snakes, mortars, comets...did I forget to mention screamin rattlers??

How ever you celebrate, be safe and enjoy yourselves...I'll burn a couple for the ones who can't do the works.

...tanks, bombers w/ report, battleships, 36" long sparklers...whistle chasers

We used to go to a huge store in Southeast MO, each year a few weeks before the fourth. We haven't done it for a few years now. I guess we just got to where it was too much of a hassle to find time to go. It figures, this year, I've got plenty of time, but the doctors are getting all of my extra monies at the moment.:(

well, fireworks go on sale tomorrow here and bottle rockets are illegal. :( :mad:

OTOH, I found a stash of fireworks in our basement. Lotsa mortars, roman candles, black cats. Tomorrow, I have cut a deal so whatever I pay I will be matched by my friends, so I'm paying $20 and getting $60 worth :D There is the absolute best place in town, better then the black cat stands, there is actually a BC warehouse here. Anyways, about the stands, they always have coupons. Good coupons. 6 shot mortar for a dollar coupons. 500 black cat for a dollar coupons :D I will be buying whistling jupiter missiles to test out my PVC launcher, roman candles, mortars, mortars, mortars, more mortars, black cats, Salutes, smoke bombs, mammoth ozark smoke bombs (5 minute burn :eek: !), OOH! forgot water dynamite!!!. This is probably half of what I will buy. I need a lighter.

PyroBlue :D

on the 4th of july, even if their illegal, my niehgbor always has a bit of a show... he does something "fishy" in his life, and had these fireworks that looked and sounded like maceys day parade ones...

New Hampshire is a hoot...

We have the borders of Mass, Maine and Vermont littered with fireworks stands... In New Hampshire, you are not allowed to purchase, own nor ignite fireworks. *selling* them is fine. You just have to be sure that the buyer does not live in NH.

Our neighbor states just *love* us for that...

Now, to satiate the NH pyro's, they've created a loop hole... If you're a farmer with a rodent/pest problem, you can purchase and use fireworks in the control of these rodents/pests.

Overnight a large, unknown segment of New Hampshire residents suddenly became farmers. :D

Heck, i've been a farmer for years and have the fireworks to prove it! LOL

we *are* a weird state, i swear... The only state that I am aware of that has "State Liquer Stores" *on* the interstate highway *rest* areas. seriously... Pull over, take a leak, buy a sixpack and back on the highway and never have to take that pesky exit...

Oh, and don't forget the fireworks, Mr. Farmer!

sheesh!

OOHie! just got the fireworks coupons :D

Sez: 6 shot artilley shell, 1.59
100 free black cats
Looks like they raised the price on black cat cakes though, as it is 2.49 :( However, 6 roman candles for a dollar is a good deal :D

Blue

Their illegal here in North Carolina, but luckly S.C. is about 45 minutes away:D This year we are going to be in Tennessee over the 4th of july. Are they illegal in Tennesse, Because if not!!!!!

Karl: Great videos!

I've always loved fireworks (made some of my own as a 12-16 yr old). Used to have bottle rocket wars every summer around the fourth of July and never (even as crazy as we occasionally were) did anyone get more than a burn from a hot cigarette lighter.

My mother's family is from South Carolina (Spartanburg area, specifically Greer) and as a kid I was given fireworks a number of times (some mailed, some carried on airplane flights). My father was also a very creative person (tennis ball cannons, for example, made from asparagus cans and fueled with lysol, binaca or alcohol).

John Gotti was (in)famous for putting on an excellent fireworks show for his neighborhood in Queens, NY. One of my friends at work grew up down the block from him and I was at a couple of Gotti's shows maybe 15 (20?) years ago.

I live near Shea Stadium (home of the NY Mets) and for more than the last dozen years the Mets have put on a good fireworks show after whatever night game is closest to July 4. The fireworks are actually better from outside the stadium (recently, with my kids, I've been viewing them from a bit farther away but for several years we walked over to the stadium and I watched from the caution tape around the launch area... very, very loud! :D :D

In recent years (he was Boss for eight years) NYC's Mayor Guiliani (sp?) really cracked down on fireworks :( and it became difficult(er ;) ) to get them. Now that he's no longer in charge, it may be easier (I haven't tried the last two years, since I was/will be at a friend's place for the fourth).

I just saw an ad on eBay for Chinese Roman Candles... how long before eBay pulls that one?

Just a few weeks ago there were new laws made reducing the already pathetic assortment of fireworks that are legal in PA. It used to be only fountains, sparklers, firecrackers, aerial spinners, smoke bombs and novelty things like tanks. Now it is fountains, sparklers, and smoke bombs.:(

Originally posted by jflis
New Hampshire is a hoot...

We have the borders of Mass, Maine and Vermont littered with fireworks stands... In New Hampshire, you are not allowed to purchase, own nor ignite fireworks. *selling* them is fine. You just have to be sure that the buyer does not live in NH.

Our neighbor states just *love* us for that...

Now, to satiate the NH pyro's, they've created a loop hole... If you're a farmer with a rodent/pest problem, you can purchase and use fireworks in the control of these rodents/pests.

Overnight a large, unknown segment of New Hampshire residents suddenly became farmers. :D

Heck, i've been a farmer for years and have the fireworks to prove it! LOL

we *are* a weird state, i swear... The only state that I am aware of that has "State Liquer Stores" *on* the interstate highway *rest* areas. seriously... Pull over, take a leak, buy a sixpack and back on the highway and never have to take that pesky exit...

Oh, and don't forget the fireworks, Mr. Farmer!

sheesh!

New Hampshire is like Texas, I like it alot. "live free or die" its great.

I love the fireworks stores there, I know fireworks are dangerous and all that, but they are so much fun

Originally posted by jflis

Yeah, when I visited the Mass/NH area over spring break to go college-looking (fuuuun), we drove by a State Liquor Store. Never could figure that one out. :p

Anyone else have fun today? I staretd out shopping around noon, and have exhausted my money supplies for the day. Got several bigger bottle rockets, they are legal here in KS, 400 water dynamites, speedballs, roman candles, jupiter missiles (Woohoo! my PVC launcher worked!) and some other stuff. Used about 10 chasers and 70 blackcats today, along with 1 bottle rocket and 3 jupiter missiles.

Originally posted by Karl
Over in the UK we too are very limited in what we buy.
Ok Ok , you think your rockets are loud ? Take a look at these :D
https://www.brightstaruk.com//documents/video/high_1569.wmv
They're called Hell Raisers , and when you see the video , you will know why :p

One very loud & long lasting 48 shot barrage called TOWERING INFERNO
https://www.brightstaruk.com//documents/video/high_1934.wmv

One of my most favorite mines that we get every year & new year, Big Bahooma
https://www.brightstaruk.com//documents/video/high_1075.wmv

Karl

But, it's the 4th of July, American Independence Day. Now President, er I mean, King George is back again...

I have scouted around the next day looking for that cool rocket I launched the night before, and if I find it and it's nosecone, it gets a make over.

It gets a C6-5 motor, and a parachute. I love the look on someone face when you walk up to the pad with a couple of these to launch...if you can get it past the RSO and LCO tables :D

...talk about kit bashing :D

The fin units weigh a bunch, but look at how far back they are swept...I'll bet RocSim says these are "overstable"

Cram a motor in and glue a chute, and this one would look kinda cool...

Originally posted by karatekicker271
Their illegal here in North Carolina, but luckly S.C. is about 45 minutes away:D This year we are going to be in Tennessee over the 4th of july. Are they illegal in Tennesse, Because if not!!!!!

They're legal in Tennessee, anything class C.

Originally posted by RocketboyG80
Just a few weeks ago there were new laws made reducing the already pathetic assortment of fireworks that are legal in PA. It used to be only fountains, sparklers, firecrackers, aerial spinners, smoke bombs and novelty things like tanks. Now it is fountains, sparklers, and smoke bombs.:(

Wow - sounds like Ohio. Can't have anything that leaves the ground or goes "boom"...

Back