Black Rock Road Trip

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 138519
Here is a quick picture of the aftermath. I have many more pictures and will upload them all later (most likely when I get home). Jackson Lubin got the COOLEST picture that I have ever seen of the thing coming off the pad.

I'm in high spirits and am trying to learn from this latest disaster. However; I am going to step back for a little while and perfect my techniques. I will be back eventually though....
Are the case and electronics okay?

To those thinking that the big fireball is a CATO, it wasn't. The tower base is sunk in so all the smoke gets deflected up (Major design flaw), but when the rocket is emerging from the tower, it is engulfed in smoke but the flame shows through, so it ends up with this REALLY awesome picture. Judy and Jackson had the same thing on their rocket. Once the videos come out you all can see that the flight patterns were pretty much identical....

The electronics are good (their a little sketchy but with a little TLC they will be good). The case has a nickel sized dent in the forward end, I'm going to send it to Jeroen and see if it can possibly be repaired. I'm pretty surprised that I found the tubes and nose cone intact. This thing was moving REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY fast. If I had to guess, I would have to guess that it was past mach 3. All in all, a very cool flight and something that will not only teach me a huge lesson in rocketry construction, but also some major life lessons as well. I am really glad that I flew it and I am, satisfied that I found 95% of the rocket so that I can make concrete conclusions about what happened. Thanks to all for reading so far. I leave tomorrow and will post my postmortem on my other thread.

Manny

IMG_1748.jpg
taken by Jakson Lubin

Awesome photo Jackson!:D Kind of hard too photograph a bullet......

"When you fly with C.T.I. your playing with REAL rocket science."

Congratulations too Gerald M. for being one of only TWO people to fly "The BEAST" as single stage rocket and, get it back alive....:wave:

I told Manny last night that now its MY TURN.....Racing, running Indiana Rocketry and, 80hr work weeks have kept me from accomplishing that goal for quite some time.....Now the wheels are set in motion.

It will be all alloy construction and, the name will simply be......*Native Son.*

Manny or myself will fly it next year and, i don't care if im number 3....4......5......Whatever.

Johnny D? I need your "electrical help"........Jeroen? I need a "special case." PM's in your boxes today.....

Never count out a determined little dyslexic German truck driver who played with nuclear ICBM's for years.......;)

Hello Manny....Sorry to hear that the rocket didn't survive. Same goes for Judy and Jackson. Everyone have a safe trip home. See you at Bong. Greg Olson

Yep.

Another victim of the rocket eater.

The only successful minimum diameter 98-6XL flight was Gerald Meux, who hit 29,000 feet with an N5800.

I'll also add that Jim Jarvis used an N5800 in his minimum diameter two stager; while it didn't stage (upper stage didn't light), the booster with the N5800 worked flawlessly, and his electronics recovered everything. He just gets to be one of those rare people to fly the same N1100 twice.... :p

-Kevin

Skippy's rocket made it! But it was mostly metal, go figure.....

Manny....Just saw the video posted up on You-Tube of your flight taken by Alex.......Incredible!:surprised:

Your right, that thing was "Off like a Prom Dress...."

Loved the sllooowwww-moooooo......Definitely some "Squirrel" going on just before the fins departed......but, almost made it.

Dude? Can you get through a video without dropping the F-Bomb?

That's my boy!:rofl: I'll talk too you tonight....

I just watched the two videos (N3301 and N2900)

Dang! You guys were so close...

I told Manny last night that now its MY TURN.....Racing, running Indiana Rocketry and, 80hr work weeks have kept me from accomplishing that goal for quite some time.....Now the wheels are set in motion.

It will be all alloy construction and, the name will simply be......*Native Son.*

Manny or myself will fly it next year and, i don't care if im number 3....4......5......Whatever.

Johnny D? I need your "electrical help"........Jeroen? I need a "special case." PM's in your boxes today.....

:y: Let me know when and where. I don't want to miss that.

Manny....Just saw the video posted up on You-Tube of your flight taken by Alex.......Incredible!:surprised:

Your right, that thing was "Off like a Prom Dress...."

Loved the sllooowwww-moooooo......Definitely some "Squirrel" going on just before the fins departed......but, almost made it.

Dude? Can you get through a video without dropping the F-Bomb?

That's my boy!:rofl: I'll talk too you tonight....

Can someone post a link here to the videos? :)

Can someone post a link here to the videos? :)

I'm sure Manny wouldn't mind if I posted his video.
[video=youtube;pdAEEQPQC1Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdAEEQPQC1Y[/video]

Enjoy!
Sorry about the shaking at the end of the burn. Like everyone else, I was really nervous!

Alex

Since Manny hasn't commented on it, let me comment on the palatial accommodations in Gerlach. My line, when asked, became "it's clean, it has a bed and a shower"

That's about it. Sure beats the alternative!

Oh, and my wife says the bartender is a riot

I just watched the two videos (N3301 and N2900)

Dang! You guys were so close...

:y: Let me know when and where. I don't want to miss that.

Oh great and, respected one...you will be in the know...One of the few...
Lets see how "Ike" (Not his real name, represents the Midwest with his N5800 flight *somewhere* later this year.....) ssssshhhh......

Griff? Manwell?

You have been saturating my I-"I'm smarter than my owner" phone with calls......Apparently you can't *fully* turn one off.....I will contact you both later tonight.
Sometimes i feel like...

:DGus:D
:D:DGus:D:D
:D:D:DGus:D:D:D
:D:D:D:DGus:D:D:D:D......

Grrrrrr.......

Had a chance to talk too *Sport* tonight.....he was spending the night at new friend Alex's home in Springville Ut. just south of SLC.
Nice area there, used to stop at the Truckstop down at Spanish Forks years back before running down State Hwy. 6 to Green River and east.
Talked to Alex briefly and, thanked him for keeping an eye on the Man-well!

One thing was unnerving though....something was going on in the background and, Manny claimed that Alex was "Showing him some pictures."

I may NOT want too know.....:surprised:

One thing though.....

Manny giggles like a little girl....:facepalm:

:rofl:EXPOSED.:rofl:

What? Couldn't come up with something witty this morning "O Young One....:confused:"

Ive heard more testosterone out of a five year old girl unhappy with her Mcdonalds Happy Meal Toy then you last night...

Your not fooling anyone with that scruff on your face...are you?

Actually just talked too him a few minutes ago as he was leaving Alex's and, heading up north to SLC and, then east to Wyoming.;)

"Wyoming" Git off my land!:bangbang:

"Wyoming" If you don't find dinosaur bones, valuable minerals, or oil on your land......stick around a few years and, you will!:D

Special thanks too *New Friend* Alex for hosting Manny yesterday.....quick wash all the bedding....he might have brought something back from Bruno's!:surprised:

Seriously thou....have a safe trip onto Kearney today and, later tonight i'll tell you a REALLY funny joke about a Trucker, a motor case and, a large chunk of aluminum....:lol:

Last edited:
snippedI'll also add that Jim Jarvis used an N5800 in his minimum diameter two stager; while it didn't stage (upper stage didn't light), the booster with the N5800 worked flawlessly, and his electronics recovered everything. He just gets to be one of those rare people to fly the same N1100 twice.... :p

-Kevin

Jim Launched the same rocket again on Sunday with a lower thrust (N2500?) in the booster, 74k recovered 3 1/2 miles away.
It was discussed and this is believed to be the highest flight at an LDRS with a altimeter. There may have been one that went higher years ago but did not have electonics.

M

Jim Launched the same rocket again on Sunday with a lower thrust (N2500?) in the booster, 74k recovered 3 1/2 miles away.
It was discussed and this is believed to be the highest flight at an LDRS with a altimeter. There may have been one that went higher years ago but did not have electonics.

Yep. I helped him out at the pad for both flights.

That second flight was just incredible. Jim makes it look easy.

-Kevin

M

Do we know which electronics he used for tracking/location?

M

That's awesome for Jim! Everything I've ever heard about him just says "Class Act."
I really look forward too meeting him someday. Just talked to Manny, he crossed into Nebraska a few minutes ago.:D

Kevin, I always like the setup part the best because that's where we all get to work together to make a flight happen. With you and Andrew, Gerald and Stu, this year was the best ever. Just for the record, the first flight was 4"x4" and the second was 4"x3" (but the booster was the same for both). Too bad that N1100 didn't light, but it would have been hard to find the rocket.

The tracking electronics included a Marshall in the booster, and a BRB gps and RF tracker in the sustainer. Oddly, when your rocket lands on a mountain, it takes both to home in on it, and then some sharp eyes to spot it. Tony actually pulled it off the cliff. Here's a pic of where we were (from the gps file). You can see the landing point and then the route down.

Jim

PS - I could use a pic or two of the second flight if anyone has one handy.

Mountain.jpg

Last edited:
That second flight was incredible Jim, the first one was cool too even though it didn't work it was still cool to see that motor burn!

Kevin, I always like the setup part the best because that's where we all get to work together to make a flight happen. With you and Andrew, Gerald and Stu, this year was the best ever. Just for the record, the first flight was 4"x4" and the second was 4"x3" (but the booster was the same for both). Too bad that N1100 didn't light, but it would have been hard to find the rocket.

Jim, any time you're flying one of these and need help, come find me -- I'll give you a hand, if I can.

PS - I could use a pic or two of the second flight if anyone has one handy.

Let me dig through and see if I caught it.

-Kevin

Jim, congrats on a great flight! Just for reference, how far was the launch site from where you found it?

It was 3.5 miles out on East side of Elephants back. Sounds easier then it was. I think it got to 110 degrees that day.

Tony

Back