Black Rock Road Trip

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, congrats on a great flight! Just for reference, how far was the launch site from where you found it?

Only 3.5 miles

Jim

Sorry. Didn't see the response. We should get home tonight.

Last edited:
I just got home safe and sound (though my sanity seems to be missing). I have pictures and stuff to post in the upcoming days..

I just got home safe and sound (though my sanity seems to be missing). I have pictures and stuff to post in the upcoming days..

Lies.
That would imply that you were sane in the first place. :grin:

Glad you got in okay. I'm looking forward to seeing those pics you took. I need to upload the ones Manny was giggling about.

-Alex

Jim , what was the 3 inch upper stage motor ? Picture perfect flight , well done .

Eric

It was a Gorilla M745. I haven't had a chance to review how it worked yet. The last time i used one, it took a long time (4 seconds) to come up to pressure and seemed to have a burn that was a tad short. It'll be interesting to see how this one worked in comparison.

Jim

An Actual Conversion On Previously Said Trip.

*ring* *ring*

Oh, HI! Mister Gus......:D You must be lonely tonight.....:D You must want too hear all about my EXCITING trip!:D

-We'll get too that in a minute.......DUDE:facepalm:?......How come everytime you post a video on You-Tube.....You drop the *F-bomb*:confused:

What do you mean Mister Gus.....?

-Mann.....*sigh*......I HEARD you mumble $#@%.....

Oh did i? I think you heard a wind gust......;)

-Manny......I C-L-E-A-R-L-Y heard you say.......$#@%.....

Well.......I learned that from YOU!:D

-NoYouDidn't.....:eek:

:D:D YES :D:D I did!

Do you remember Airfest.....last year?

-Don't remind me Mannnnnny........

You ripped the fins RIGHT OFF that Intimidator5 and, yelled......$#@%!:D

Do you remember Airfest.....two years ago where you had an "Altimeter Failure" and, ripped it right out of the rocket and, STOMPED on it!!:eek: You used ALOT of new words that i've never heard before LIKE.......&%$#@*!

-Don't remind me Mannnnnny.........Manny....:facepalm: See here i'm an adult.....your still young and, impressionable........YOU SHOULDN'T be repeating language like THAT!

Hey Gus?

-What?

&^*%$#@!!

-Manny! You've got five hits on your video right now and, that means the whole world knows what kind of a $#@%'n idiot you are.......WHOOP'S.....:surprised:

Did you just say something Mister Gus?:rolleyes:

Sounded like..........$#@% TOO ME!

-Ok smart@$$;) I've got your line of thinking here...........:mad:

Mister Gus......I just threw a %$#@'Ngum wrapper out the window!:p

-Oh YEAH........I just threw a &%^$#@'N cigarette butt out my window!:p

Weeeeeellllll:eek:.........*HONK**HONK* I'm honking my horn at $%#@'N Prairie Dogs.....!

-OH YEAH!!! HONK...HONK I just blew my air horn at a bunch of $%#@'NNun's in a Church Bus!! TOP THAT!:lol:

OH YEAH......OH YEAH!! I'm driving eastbound on the westbound side of %$#@'N I-80! TOP THAT!:D

-ROOKIE!! I'm driving THROUGH the %$#@'N Median and, leaving *Mud Snakes* ALL OVER I-39......TOP THAT!:p

And, this went on for an hour or two and, got rather more and, more spectacular by the moment.......
The things we do too stay awake behind the wheel at 1AM in the morning.
I'm just glad he's home.....Pictures too be posted soon....

I'm going to post a bunch of pictures from my trip:

IMG_0428.jpg

A pretty destroyed McDonald's sign in Kearny, NE

IMG_0438.jpg

A big metal coyote in Western NE

IMG_0462.jpg

The top of the mountain pull in Laramie, WY. This is the highest point on I80, over 9000' MSL.

IMG_0500.jpg

The weird tree in the salt flats, this was way bigger than I expected.

IMG_0506.jpg

A road cut in the mountain....

IMG_0515.jpg

Pyramid Lake.

IMG_0522.jpg

A strange face in the hills on 447 between Wadsworth and Nixon. I'm assuming this is from burning man people because there is a lot of this kind of thing out that way...

IMG_0536.jpg

The sunrise over the mountain in Gerlach.

IMG_0537.jpg

A stray dog that lived outside of Bruno's.

The face is Snoopy Rock. It was painted long before there were Burners

That's pretty weird, but just another thing that makes the area very cool. Everything in that area has its own unique story. When I go back, I'll be sure to do some more exploring around the area.

IMG_0580.jpg

Judy's fin stuck in the playa...

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

Jackson and I found these two things on the playa when we were looking for my fins/parachute. The pillow was about 40 miles north of the site or about 10 miles south of the big black rock (I'm just guessing how far the black rock was, but I know I drove about 40 miles out). I picked them both up and threw them away, we don't want too much trash on the playa....

Welcome home, Manny! Glad you had a safe trip.

If you want Black Rock wierd take a drive on Guru Road. Hundreds of rocks with words of wisdom chipped into them.

While out chasing a rocket Robin and I found a semi truck, no one for 20 miles and the doors wide open. We told the BLM and said "We find them out here all the time."

Added

The Burners did not bring weird to Black Rock; they have only been there since 1990. Snoopy Rock & Guru Road was there before then, and there used to be more odd stuff painted on the big tufa formations on the highway in. There is the geyser; it is a travertine tower that was formed by a leaky well, https://scienceinmyfiction.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Fly-Geyser-Black-Rock-Desert-Nevada.jpg

We found many miles from the edge a mummified jack rabbit and 100 feet away a similar coyote, now chasing each other for eternity.

Up in the mountains there are petroglyphs, most places they look like deer, snakes and spirals but the ones we saw looked like scratches by a crazy man.

I sometimes wonder if the Burners have not increased the strange, they have just made us more resistant to it.

Fly-Geyser-Black-Rock-Desert-Nevada.jpg

Last edited:
Yes! you got a pic of the weird tree in Utah. There is some weird stuff in Utah for sure. Take the sun tunnels in the NW corner of the state, Spiral Jetty in the Salt Lake... on and on...
Glad you made it back safe and hopefully sane. Drive on back out to Wendover for Hellfire next week now!
-Ken

Jackson and I found these two things on the playa when we were looking for my fins/parachute. The pillow was about 40 miles north of the site or about 10 miles south of the big black rock (I'm just guessing how far the black rock was, but I know I drove about 40 miles out). I picked them both up and threw them away, we don't want too much trash on the playa....

Where exactly where you if you were 40 miles north? I didn't think you could be 40 miles north and still be on the Playa. There are dunes and wet spots if you go too far north. I helped recover a rocket near the train tracks about 10 years ago and we were off the Playa already, but probably more northeast than north.

Holy Cow Manny!:D

They've got your little road trip too Black Rock out on DVD.........;)

"Handy Manny and, the Greatest Vacation Ever!":p

(Only $19.95 plus shipping and, handling.....on Amazon.com!)

Although if it was me...:rolleyes: I *ditch* Little Pepe there and, put some SERIOUS "Voo-Doo" on Miss Kelly!:surprised:

All the best for the next episode......

"Handy Manny takes a day off from work and, visits "The Clinic.":lol:

View attachment 139168

Back