Black powder choice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think i have some 2f or 1fg, what happens when you use that? Not enough pressure?
Often incomplete burning of the powder grains using coarser powder, unless you can contain it a bit longer. Think long-barrelled charge wells, which allows the heat to spread to and ignite all the grains

I think i have some 2f or 1fg, what happens when you use that? Not enough pressure?
You might need to use a little more with the bigger BP grain size but ground test it in your rocket until you're satisfied with the results.

(.)(.)

For @AtomicStorm, I would recommend Commercial Black Powder:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022448878?pid=761750
If 1 pound will last you a lifetime, then commercial will be the best for you.

I can easily burn through 75 pounds a year in BP rockets, shells, stars, headings, lift charges, etc... Making my own BP is more economical. It is no problem for me to set aside a few grams for my rockets.

There is no need to make your own if you will never use it.

Personally, however, I find making BP relaxing and enjoyable. I believe it is a good skill to learn.

I can also start a fire with chert and high carbon steel. I use old Coleman equipment with pumps. I bake my own bread. I build my own rockets.

I do NOT make my own igniters. Commercial, even the cheap Chinese e-matches, are more reliable in my experience.

For most Rocketeers, Commercial BP is the best choice.

Zeke

(.)(.)

For @AtomicStorm, I would recommend Commercial Black Powder:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022448878?pid=761750
If 1 pound will last you a lifetime, then commercial will be the best for you.

I can easily burn through 75 pounds a year in BP rockets, shells, stars, headings, lift charges, etc... Making my own BP is more economical. It is no problem for me to set aside a few grams for my rockets.

There is no need to make your own if you will never use it.

Personally, however, I find making BP relaxing and enjoyable. I believe it is a good skill to learn.

I can also start a fire with chert and high carbon steel. I use old Coleman equipment with pumps. I bake my own bread. I build my own rockets.

I do NOT make my own igniters. Commercial, even the cheap Chinese e-matches, are more reliable in my experience.

For most Rocketeers, Commercial BP is the best choice.

Zeke
You wanna hang out sometime, have a beer, blow some sh*t up lol?

I have used it. It works fine as long as you contain it enough.
Maybe put the charge in like a 308 or 7mm or .45 or 9mm i have those bullet casings, would that work with some wadding packed on top real tight?

I ended up just buying some from midway. About $21 per lb. Hazmat was $12.99 and whatever shipping to your location costs. I bought 2 lbs to make shipping seem more worthwhile and I have extra to share now.

I ended up just buying some from midway. About $21 per lb. Hazmat was $12.99 and whatever shipping to your location costs. I bought 2 lbs to make shipping seem more worthwhile and I have extra to share now.
Heck ill buy a 1/2# for 20 bucks from you and i wont even charge hazmat fees, just send it priority! Pm me

RE: "What is required to purchase black powder?
If 50 pounds or less of commercially manufactured black powder is being purchased, and the powder is intended to be used solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes in antique firearms...
"

I own an antique Long Tom. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
1619892567203.png
Good skies,

GlueckAuf

Last edited:
Called everyone on the list within 200 miles and no one has it. So i just ordered a pound for 50 bucks :( atleast i dont have to worry about road trips and alot of searching.

A few members of my club and I did a group buy of 4Fg a year or so ago through Graf & Sons. Sharing the flat rate HAZMAT spread out the expense to be practically negligible, and the minimum order restriction was moot.

We we also discovered that Graf &Sons’ own store brand of 4Fg is made by GOEX, but cheaper, today some $3.60 less per pound (at $18.59) than that identical GOEX 4Fg BP that comes in an otherwise identical bottle, less the label (at $22.19).

Good skies,

GlueckAuf

1620006055558.jpg
1620006332410.jpg

Just a heads up, Midway touts about fast shipping being a priority but my order has had a label printed almost a week ago that has not been received by UPS yet. So if you are in a hurry this may not be the best choice at the present time.

Back