Black Brant Vehicle Number solved ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am trying to get a pdf copy of the complete October issue to see if the photo source is referenced at theend of the issue

Bobby

Bobby,

I may have found a possible "source" for your pdf file, " Canadian electronics engineering: Volume 9 , 1965 "

The first poster in the thread at this link, quotes from it . . . They may have the full issue.

https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?p=472867

Unfortunately, it may be difficult to locate this person . . . "Kat Manton" in the UK.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?p=735637

I did find a couple of pics of Kat Manton, however ( long, dark hair )

https://www.bvws.org.uk/events/photos/2006-nvcf-television/

Dave F.

Last edited:
UPDATE and good news !!!

I have located the original negative for the photo in question and it is at the Canadian Archives . The negative I have was scanned at 180 DPI.

The process has been started to get the negative scanned at 600 DPI or 800 DPI which would be more than enough to see a clear image
of the round number on the fin .

As soon as I get a updated copy of the negative I will post it here and reveal the exact round number .

Stay tuned ! :)

Bobby

New UPDATE

I received a TIFF image scanned at 800 DPI of the image.
We found out that there was no negative just a photograph to be scanned .
The TIFF file is 70.3 MB zipped in size !

I did some checking and I am now leaning to the rocket round number as
NRC AA-II-60 or NRC AA-II-53

I am looking for someone that has a professional photo editing program that might be able to help me

close up research.jpg

The far right looks pretty vertical to me. Because of that I'd bet on a "0". And the top part of the first digit seems round like the "C" (of NRC), so despite the small white gap, I'd bet on a "6", but not as much.

Last edited:
here is my reasoning behind the rocket being NRC AA-II-60

I have the operational Requirement publication for both AA-II-53 and AA-II-60
I also have the flight results publications for both rockets

In the flight results publication it states there was an 8.8 inch extension added to the forward body section of AA-II-60
No extension was added to AA-II-53.
The photo I have clearly shows a extension on the payload section of the rocket
I submit the rocket in the photo is of NRC AA-II-60 launched at Churchill Research Range at 23:34 hours on
24 March 1965 See attached photo

all 3 to compare.jpg

Also I am in the process of contacting

The University Of Alberta Calgary and The University Of Saskatchewan to see if they might have anything in their archives on the rocket.

It make take a while as the COVID mess is slowing everything down . But I can wait as I have been researching the
Black Brant II rockets since the early 1980s so a few month more waiting wont hurt me :)

Bobby

Bobby,

Do you have larger images of those two payload section drawings ?

Based on the presence of the extension, I think you are right about it being AA-II-60,

Dave F.

Back