Black Brant Vc Documentation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a fast reply. Too bad it wasn't the answer we hoped for.

-Bob

Here are some pics of the rocket that I modeled in my Rocketarium VC build thread. It is located in a museum in Manitoba, Canada.

New Black Brant 5.jpg New Black Brant 8.jpg New Black Brant 9.jpg New Black Brant 13.jpg

-Bob

Here are some more. It was a special rocket built to commemorate 50 years of the Black Brant rockets.

New Black Brant 1.jpg New Black Brant 2.jpg New Black Brant 19.jpg New Black Brant 21.jpg

-Bob

Thanks everyone for all this great info!

It seems like the leading edge adjustment point block is only on one side of the fin on later models. Or is it just the angles of the photos?

Last edited:
If you are asking about what I think you are then I am a bit confused because all the pictures show a forward mount on every fin that is pictured.

Bob

Yes I suppose so, don't mind me! For some reason I thought it was only on one side of the fin on later upper stage models. Been studying a lot of XII pics and maybe it's just the flat black color and lighting that makes them hard to see.

Screenshot_20191008-215416.png
Screenshot_20191008-215623.png

I have been digging around for dimensions/drawings of the "launch shoe" of a BB V. I'm talking about the part (both forward and aft) that is like a rail button that attaches the rocket to the launcher

Thanks,
-Bob

I have been digging around for dimensions/drawings of the "launch shoe" of a BB V. I'm talking about the part (both forward and aft) that is like a rail button that attaches the rocket to the launcher

Thanks,
-Bob

Since the BBV is the same diameter as a BBII ( 17.25" dia. ), I will go out on a limb and speculate that the same lugs are used on both.

Dave F.

Black Brant 4 Fin Can 1.jpg

Black Brant VC FIn Can 2.JPG

Rear Lug-1.jpg

REAR LUGS.jpg

all_3.side_angle_view.jpg

BB_Dwg1a - 2 reduced.jpg

Black_Brant_1_lugs.jpg

Well it seems the BB II and BB V are different.

Black Brant 4 Fin Can 1.jpg

Black Brant VIII Coupler Detail 3.jpg

Those are the only two pictures I have that actually show it but not in enough detail to replicate. It appears to be sort of like a rail button on the BB V. It also seems to be mounted to the fin can, which makes sense, but it does seem to overhang the motor slightly. Need more data...

-Bob

I don't know, but it would make sense if the shoe was specific to the launch site's rail specs.

So what those pictures are showing seem just the opposite of what I see in the pic with the woman and the fin can. This is what I extrapolate from the two photos I posted. Not to sure about the side view but the end view seems crystal clear...

Black Brant Mounts.jpg

Very confusing...

-Bob

I mostly agree but it looks to me like it's flush with the vertical end of the fin can. Also this pic was prepping for a BBXII launch which would not have used that shoe, though I don't know if they would remove it before flight. So that would be an "out of the box" shoe.

On the BBVC, the rear fin can launch lug was positioned by way of an integral flange located on the bottom of the lug; this was then bolted to the fin can by way of a pair of the bolts that fastened the actual fin can to the aft end of the motor.

The drawing below, while admittedly an overview sketch for dimensional purposes, shows the aft lug in the upper portion of the drawing (STA187.07). Note that this is a sketch; the curve of the aft end of the motor has been simplified in the drawing. On the prototype, the launch lug flange was located in the gap between the fin can and the aft end motor mating flange, and we can see evidence of this flange in Bruiser's photos of the red BBVC that's part of the BBVIII that was on display some years ago at the St. Louis Science Center. I've attached a duplicate copy of that photo, below, and if you're able to zoom in on it, the flange becomes more visible. It's that silver-ish/white bar that appears to sit underneath the lug.

On my BBVIII model, I didn't get as far as including that mounting flange, but I hope to one day in a future rebuild.

Attachments

• BBVC Launch Lug Location.jpg
    BBVC Launch Lug Location.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 124
  • BBVC Fin Can.jpg
    BBVC Fin Can.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Fin Can LL.jpg
    Fin Can LL.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 113
Dave

Post 70 figure 12 is a launch lug set up for a 3 fin Black Brant 2
the 3d drawing and the drawing showing chamfered edges is a launch lug for a 4 fin Black Brant 2
I have already had the front 4 fin launch lug printed up in 3d for a 6 inch diameter 4 fin Black Brant 2
that is in the works . I even had a scale launch rail printed

Photos to follow

Dave

Post 70 figure 12 is a launch lug set up for a 3 fin Black Brant 2
the 3d drawing and the drawing showing chamfered edges is a launch lug for a 4 fin Black Brant 2
I have already had the front 4 fin launch lug printed up in 3d for a 6 inch diameter 4 fin Black Brant 2
that is in the works . I even had a scale launch rail printed

Photos to follow

Bobby,

Thank you for posting . . . I knew you would be able to straighten things out !

Dave F.

So there we have it. Bobby cleared up that the pics Dave found weren't for a BBV so that is why they look different.

Mr. Brohm posted up some info and a diagram that tell/show how the mount mounts :) It turns out it looks a lot like I had pictured it

Oh, and these mounts. They seem to be there whether the BB V is a single stage or a sustainer.

Thank you all,
-Bob

Bruiser

I was working on a Black Brant 2 with 4 fins not the normal 3 fins
I have a photo of the one with the woman in it where they are attaching the fins to the airframe.
Let me dig it out

Peter
Ask Andoya if they have a central photo archive that Is not located at the Andoya Range or if they know of any
"Old Timer" employees that may have a photo collection of discarded photos from Andoya Launches ?
Bobby

Sometimes I think I am a bit of a masochist... I am 10 minutes away from the New Mexico Museum of Space History. Why do I have to insist on building rockets that they don't have on display? It's be so much easier if I wanted to build an Aerobee :) I think they have like three of them on display.

So, you must mean this picture? I hate to say it, but it does not look "tall" enough when you also look at the launch lug location drawing from post 78. I think I will just adjust it using the TLAR method while making it so it fits in a 1010 rail :) I am hoping that I can take a block of nylon and make a rail lug that fits a 1010 rail and looks scale. Now I need to find out what size the "T" needs to be to fit in the rail. This will be my first rocket using them.

I'll be opening anew thread on my new design in the next couple of days. It's beyond a "roughed-out" design but not quite ready for prime time yet :)

THank
ThBB V Rear Lug-1.jpg
Thanks again for all the help,
-Bob

Bob
In post 89 that is the front and rear launch lugs for a 4 fin Black Brant 2
Post 70 showing the fins with the woman in the foreground is a Black Brant 5
Bobby

Back