Black Brant launch 5/7/21

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's probably because the launch isn't until tomorrow . . .

Dave F.
OOPs, This is a direct reveal of my " Ineffective Thinking and Poor Judgement" which escalated when i got my CMT Disease. I would have bet a testicle that the article I read said Friday. Thanks for letting me know how much of a Goober I am.:angiefavorite:

OOPs, This is a direct reveal of my " Ineffective Thinking and Poor Judgement" which escalated when i got my CMT Disease. I would have bet a testicle that the article I read said Friday. Thanks for letting me know how much of a Goober I am.

The realization of our lack of perfection only serves to remind us of our humanity . . .

BTW - The ORIGINAL article DID say Friday, but there was an update that the launch had "slipped", until Saturday ( TODAY ), at 8:02 PM ( earliest time ).

Hopefully, viewing conditions will be good tonight ( I'm near Raleigh, NC ) !

Possible online viewing : https://video.ibm.com/channel/nasa-tv-wallops

Dave F.

I was sitting outside in my power chair waiting for the launch and listening on my phone on the live feed and then it said that it has been scrubbed

Scrubbed, until 8:03 PM tomorrow . . .

https://www.wnct.com/weather/how-to-see-this-weekends-rocket-launch-from-wallops

EXCERPT :

LAUNCH SCRUBBED ❗ Tonight's sounding rocket launch has been postponed to no earlier than 8:03 p.m., Sunday, May 9. The launch has been postponed due to upper level winds not being within the required limits for a safe launch. The launch window for Sunday runs until 8:43 p.m.
— NASA Wallops (@NASA_Wallops) May 9, 2021

Launch T-0: 8:02 PM Saturday May 8
Launch Window: 40 minutes
Backup Launches Windows: Through May 16
Vapors Released 9 min 30 seconds – 10 minutes after launch.

END EXCERPT :

Dave F.

I have a chance to see it then. Rain is supposed to stop by 7pm Sunday. Just don't know about cloud cover after the rain.

I missed the opportunity to go out and look up this weekend and expected to get a recap from y'all.

Instead I learn I havent missed it at all!

I missed the opportunity to go out and look up this weekend and expected to get a recap from y'all.

Instead I learn I havent missed it at all!
Lol same here I keep remembering way after the set time... then check and scrubbed

I trekked to the top of my hill, 90 ft above the yard elevation-wise, only to find my neighbors, a fellow and his 86 year old mother had walked down the trail to watch! We had a clear, unobstructed view, beautiful sky, and I finally found a live feed on the phone... and then scrubbed again!

Last edited:
I was watching the live feed while out playing trivia with my uncle, ready to hop outside at the go.

I guess I need to to request a change to the thread title......

Howabout Black Brandt Launch whenever?! Actually "Today" might work and all us interested folks will keep checking back. So is it on again tonight?

And I can't resist asking... I wonder if anyone here's ever sent a model of this thing up... 4 stages would be a real challenge!

Actually "Today" might work

Heh, that's true, that would have been semi-accurate each night, the past few nights.

And I can't resist asking... I wonder if anyone here's ever sent a model of this thing up... 4 stages would be a real challenge!

I'm curious as well, I searched TRF and there are a few 3 stage combinations of the BB, but I don't know if anyone has attempted the Nihka.

Howabout Black Brandt Launch whenever?! Actually "Today" might work and all us interested folks will keep checking back. So is it on again tonight?

My avatar is the PML version of the BB X (3 stages) but only the first 2 have motors. It should be possible to add another booster but getting the BB V and Nihka as 2 separate stages would be "difficult". LOC has a few versions of the BB X which could be modified to be a full 4 stage setup.

Stabilizing the Nihka would be the hard part*. But making an extended BBV with a break for the Nihka section below the nose cone, just for display, would be easy enough. And then one could fly it with the Nihka (BB X, BB XII) or without (BB IX, BB XI). A mix-and-match set of sport scale sounding rocket sustainers, boosters, and interstages like that is on my long term to do (i.e. pipe dream) list.

* Maybe use a sizable gyro, and only a short burn motor. It's unstable, but hasn't got time to go badly off course before burnout, and it's up high at that point, so not a safety issue. Either that or reaction wheels for active stabilization, but that's beyond even where my pipe dreams are. Or, where they were. Damn It!

Stabilizing the Nihka would be the hard part*.

Yeah. I was just pondering an idea about flip out fins. It would look mostly scale while on the ground, and the fins would pop out before staging so it would be stable at altitude. Just something to get the 4-stage effect.

1620848022433.png

UPDATE 5/11: The launch of the Black Brant XII sounding rocket carrying the KiNET-X payload has been postponed to no earlier than 8:02 p.m. EDT, Friday, May 14. The launch has been postponed to provide time for inspection of the rocket after the vehicle came in contact with a launcher support during today’s preparations.

Back