Black Brant launch 5/7/21

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That visibility chart is for the boost phase. About 9 minutes into the flight is the gas release. Sometimes those are pretty spectacular. There is more detail in that article.

The "seconds" window....is that when in the flight it could be visable? i.e. - 60 to 90 seconds means I could view it from 7:59:00 to 7:59:30 assuming a launch at 7:58:00?

Funny how those perfect circles stop at the Canadian border and coastline as if saying: Huh? How would we know anything about those places?

Funny how those perfect circles stop at the Canadian border and coastline as if saying: Huh? How would we know anything about those places?
Its because of the wall....up to space....er...or something like that. Its all so confusing. I think I read about it in a book about throne games.

Last edited:
30-60 second ring here. I'll have to keep checking the site for schedule updates. The weather forecast is for cloudy much of Saturday, partially clearing in the late afternoon, so maybe there'll be a chance by evening.
I thought the Black Brant was a Canadian designed rocket?
It is, and the Upper stage of the BBXII is a BBV, which is Canadian built. The boosters, Talos and Terrier, are American built if I'm not mistaken. In any case, NASA uses rather a lot of the BB series, imported from our friends to the north.

The very top is actually 2 rockets, a BBV that is topped with a Nihka.

Per Wiki:
Black Brant XII (a.k.a. Talos Terrier Black Brant Nihka), a four-stage rocket with a Mk 11 Mod 5 Talos booster first stage, Terrier booster second stage (pre 2013 Taurus booster motors were used), Black Brant V third stage and Nihka fourth stage

The "seconds" window....is that when in the flight it could be visable? i.e. - 60 to 90 seconds means I could view it from 7:59:00 to 7:59:30 assuming a launch at 7:58:00?
I think that's just the time it takes for the rocket to rise from below the horizon at a given viewer location. Think about the most inner ring. Why would they lose sight after 10s?

"A four-stage Black Brant XII rocket will be used..."

That website says four-stage, is that a mistake? It looks like a 3 stage to me, or is there something extra like a boosted dart that counts for the fourth stage?
The fourth stage - called Nihka - is fin-less, because it's ignition altitude is above any significant atmosphere. Therefore it is not visually apparent in photos. If I remember correctly, it's spin stabilized.

Reinhard

The Nihka stage is more or less the black section in between the silvery nose cone and the silvery band below. (Or is that a faring around the Nihka?)
Should've named it Kiwi instead of Nihka. 😁
I can't find it now; I've read somewhere that the name is a word from one of Canada's indigenous peoples. It means... damn, I can't find it now. (No, "damn, I can't find it now" is not what it means.)

I thought the Black Brant was a Canadian designed rocket?
It is Canadian designed. But NASA and other agencies have been using the vehicle as well with their own payloads for decades. Wallops Island has launched many Black Brants over the years. And various American designed boosters have also been used with the BB.

In case anyone is planning a "road trip" to view the launch, it is now scheduled for no earlier than 8:02 PM, with a 40 - Minute "window'", Saturday, May 8, 2021.

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/local/virginia/2021/05/06/much-eastern-u-s-may-catch-sight-nasa-wallops-rocket-launch-schedule/4969038001

The Wallops Island Visitor Center WILL NOT BE OPEN . . .

HOWEVER, there are other recommended viewing sites.

https://www.chincoteague.com/viewing-rocket-launches.html

Viewing Wallops Island, VA Rocket Launches

Chincoteague Island has long been known for its Wild Ponies and picturesque beach. Thanks to NASA, Chincoteague is becoming known for something new and exciting... the go to destination for viewing rocket launches from Wallops Island.

At least 8 missions will leave from the Mid Atlantic Regional Spaceport located at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility on Wallops Island, Virginia. It's all part of a $1.9 billion contract between Dulles, VA based Orbital Sciences Corporation and NASA to deliver precious cargo to the International Space Station.

The islands of Chincoteague and Assateague on the Eastern Shore of Virginia are perfectly positioned to offer spectacular public viewing sites as well as waterfront lodging options on the Chincoteague Bay offering private balcony views.

Please be aware that a variety of unforeseen circumstances may cause the rocket launch to “slip” for a day or longer. There are weather, mechanical, or logistical situations that may occur to interrupt the launch schedule. Chincoteague and Assateague Islands offer endless opportunities to stay and play while awaiting the next “window of opportunity.” Explore our website for options.

We have compiled a list of what we have found to be the BEST ROCKET VIEWING SITES on Wallops, Chincoteague and Assateague Islands. Enjoy your time in the land of rockets and wild ponies!!

Please Note: Some viewing locations may be off limits for some launches as determined by NASA for safety reasons. The most up to date information on all launches can be found on the NASA Wallops Flight Facility website.

NASA Visitor's Center - Along Rt 175 heading to Chincoteague Island, VA

Directions:
  • From Rt 13, turn east at T's Corner stop light onto Chincoteague Rd/VA-175.
  • Located about 7 miles on Rt 175, outside of NASA Wallops Facility on right.
  • Click here to locate the NASA Visitor's Center on Google Maps.
Queen's Sound Boat Landing - Along Causeway on Rt 175 to Chincoteague Island, VA

Directions:
  • Follow Rt 175 7.9 miles to public boat landing on right.
  • Click here to locate the Queen's Sound Boat Landing on Google Maps.
Curtis Merritt Harbor - 2246 Curtis Merritt Harbor Rd., Chincoteague Island, VA

Directions:
  • Follow Rt 175 across causeway and bridges to Chincoteague Island.
  • Turn right at the stop light onto Main Street, heading south.
  • The entrance to the Harbor is near the end of the road on the left.
  • Click here to locate Curtis Merritt Harbor on Google Maps.
Robert Reed Park - 4083 Main Street, Chincoteague Island, VA

Directions:
  • From Rt 13, turn east at T's Corner stop light onto Chincoteague Rd/ VA-175.
  • Follow Rt 175 across causeway and bridges to Chincoteague Island.
  • Turn right at the stop light onto Main Street, heading south.
  • Park is approximately .5 mile on the right. Parking lot entrance is at Don's Seafood.
  • Click here to locate Robert Reed Park on Google Maps.
Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge on Assateague Island - 8231 Beach Road, Chincoteague Island, VA

Directions:
  • From Rt 13, turn east at T's Corner stop light onto Chincoteague Rd/ VA-175.
  • Follow Rt. 175 across causeway and bridges to Chincoteague Island.
  • Continue straight at the light onto Maddox Blvd.
  • Follow Maddox through the Traffic Circle and follow signs to Assateague.
  • Maddox Blvd becomes Beach Road.
  • Launches are visible anywhere along the road leading to the beach.
  • Click here to locate Chincoteague National Wildlife viewing area on Google Maps.

Last edited:
I've got rain rolling in starting about launch time Saturday and going non-stop until Sunday night. :( Don't think I'll be able to see anything

You may be able to see it via the internet. I tuned into the Wallops Island website this morning - https://video.ibm.com/channel/nasa-tv-wallops and scrolled down to watch an older Black Brant ASPIRE rocket launch from 2018 (https://video.ibm.com/recorded/116993176) They launched 2 small test rockets immediately before the BB.

Back