Black Brant launch 5/7/21

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw some smoke trail in CT very cool
Wasn’t thinking I would see anything so didn’t have a camera ready but it was cone shape smoke trail quickly then looked like a puff of smoke and gone she was lol

Last edited:
Yea what I saw was surrounded by clouds also and wasn’t a lot to see but sure looked like it. Less clouds would of been better lol

I'm confused by the "spin motors" as well. Nothing I'm seeing shows spin motors on a Talos booster and there aren't any on the Terrier booster either as far as I know.

Probably spin motors.

The live stream I was watching was hosted by a guy who talked about spin motors lighting after it cleared the tower. I'm not sure which stage they were on, but he was expecting them.

The day I don't walk out to look lol, Glad some folks got to see a bit of it

Fortunately, it was the only day I walked out to look, and it was far more impressive than I expected. Based on what I had read, I hadn't expected to see much, but it was certainly worth it!

Most likely. Just need resident sounding rocket builder @Charles_McG to chime in

Spin motors. Available for decades, but not used every flight. They mount on the interstage, not on the Talos or Nike. (I've seen pictures of Nike interstages with a very similar design to the one pictured below.) Just zoom in.

I've modeled them for my Talos Terrier Recruit. At 1/5.5 scale, 13mm motors are just about perfect scale. My ground testing makes me wary of actually trying to light them in flight. Also, as far as I can tell, the aerodynamic action of the fins themselves makes it hard to torque a model rocket this way. I ran the numbers in Openrocket to the best of my ability after Wildman Tim suggests that the idea would -not- work as I expected. Four A10s looks like it would just overcome the stability of the fins at the speeds in the first 100' off the rail. Again - at hobby scale. The big boys have motors that are more fun.

DAC73B69-3283-405B-B96D-33902F203EC9.jpeg

I've modeled them for my Talos Terrier Recruit. At 1/5.5 scale, 13mm motors are just about perfect scale. My ground testing makes me wary of actually trying to light them in flight. Also, as far as I can tell, the aerodynamic action of the fins themselves makes it hard to torque a model rocket this way. I ran the numbers in Openrocket to the best of my ability after Wildman Tim suggests that the idea would work as I expected. Four A10s looks like it would just overcome the stability of the fins at the speeds in the first 100' off the rail. Again - at hobby scale. The big boys have motors that are more fun.

That would be really interesting see flight tested. Do you think you'll ever try it?

Charles to the rescue!

Technically heada's right, there aren't spin motors on the talos or terrier speaking of the booster segments themselves. The modular interstage just lives in the grey space between them (literally).

That would be really interesting see flight tested. Do you think you'll ever try it?
Maybe if I can get better at getting all 4 motors to light closer together. The first video would be close enough for me - the suspension line didn't touch the sides of the Terrier body. It's anchored in a used nozzle in the Terrier motor mount - so lots of angular play is available. In test 2, I went from 2 motors to 4, and on each side the igniters were ematches in series. That's didn't work as well. Lots of sway and swing.

I know ematches can be done in series, but I still prefer wiring them parallel. If they're the same resistance and the launch system has the juice, they should in theory go simultaneously.
(I know, series is supposed to go simultaneously too, but the above is my preference)

I know ematches can be done in series, but I still prefer wiring them parallel. If they're the same resistance and the launch system has the juice, they should in theory go simultaneously.
(I know, series is supposed to go simultaneously too, but the above is my preference)

I attempted wiring ematches in parallel for deployment in one of my rockets (Skunk'd) and found that one ematch went, but the other didn't. Perhaps one hogged the current, shorted, and the other didn't get enough to fire. Since then, I've gone with series. I don't know if ematches are more likely to go short, or open. But I think series make sense because that ensures that each gets the same current, which is what actually leads to their ignition.

Back