Black Brant II 6" Do's and Don'ts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So have a 6" Black Brant on the build pile and I'm looking for tips from some of you large rocket builders. I tend to build durable rockets and with this one I'm not looking to break any records but I do wish to push this rocket. So what does everyone recommend for fin retention. Fiberglass external fillets?

FYI, It has 98mm motor mount

Thanks in advance.

Black Brant II.jpg

Here is mine on an L1040 last fall . If I remember altitude was around 4000. Typical construction. The only modifications were aluminum bulk plates, Rocket Junkies charge canisters and wire retainers. I also used a slim line motor retainer and custom modified one of my Areopack motor adapters for use in a slim line.

View attachment 439380

Here is mine on an L1040 last fall . If I remember altitude was around 4000. Typical construction. The only modifications were aluminum bulk plates, Rocket Junkies charge canisters and wire retainers. I also used a slim line motor retainer and custom modified one of my Areopack motor adapters for use in a slim line.
Nice photo and nice looking Brant. Thanks for the info. You have any plans on larger motors in it?

View attachment 439380

Very nice flight. What was your on pad weight?

I have 4” BB & initially I just used epoxied fillets but they cracked after the first flight. I ended up using carbon fiber reinforcement on the fillets. Several flights since and no sign of cracks.
C9BE84E0-4693-426D-8A30-C674C47319AB.jpeg

Very nice flight. What was your on pad weight?

I would have to weigh it again, but I think it was right at 40 pounds on the pad. I looked up my my altimeter data on my computer and data off the Perfect flight read 4123 and Missileworks read 4167. We are just starting to fly again because of Covid and crops getting out of the field. I have been to a total of 3 launches this year.

I would have to weigh it again, but I think it was right at 40 pounds on the pad. I looked up my my altimeter data on my computer and data off the Perfect flight read 4123 and Missileworks read 4167. We are just starting to fly again because of Covid and crops getting out of the field. I have been to a total of 3 launches this year.
40 lbs that's not bad at all

I have 4” BB & initially I just used epoxied fillets but they cracked after the first flight. I ended up using carbon fiber reinforcement on the fillets. Several flights since and no sign of cracks.
View attachment 439387
Yep, although the swept fins on the BB are beautiful, the fins or the fillets will get damaged when they contact the ground. The fillet reinforcement is a good idea. I have a 4" BBII under construction and I intend to laminate CF tip-to-tip on the fins to address this issue. This is a Madcow kit that came with a 54mm motor tube, but I have modified it for a 75mm motor. The CF will also help to stiffen those big fins if flown with a fast-burn motor.

Back