Black Brant 2 at Balls

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpartaChris

Reaction score
It looks like the rocket is completed. Here is a link to the construction portion of the page: https://www.blackbrant2.com/Construction/construction.htm

Read the details of each particular pic. All I have to say is whoa… a 152 mm motor mount for a 6” motor. .. Almost three times the size as a K motor. The motors used to fly this thing on are 8” wide. Not to mention the motor being 48” long and the is weight as many pounds each.

This rocket will fly on a 3 P cluster. Wish I could be there. Good luck guys!

-Chris

Wooo Hooo, Only 1 week until I am on my way to Balls. Can't wait to see this rocket fly as well as the full scale honest john, and possible the Gates Brother's Saturn 1b. Has anyone heard anything abou tthat rocket in a while?

Originally posted by JacobD
Wooo Hooo, Only 1 week until I am on my way to Balls. Can't wait to see this rocket fly as well as the full scale honest john, and possible the Gates Brother's Saturn 1b. Has anyone heard anything abou tthat rocket in a while?

Nah, but here is the documentation for the build - <a href="https://www.rocstock.org/saturn1b.html">Saturn 1B</a>

I heard it wasnt happening. If it is what are they using for motors?

Ryan, in answer to your question, I pulled this off the above listed website...Animal Motor Works is supplying the motors, tentatively a central 6" P10000 motor with 4 6" O5000 motors and another O5000 motor in the sustainer.

That page hasn't been updated since April, so who knows...

Spoke with Greg Lawson at last months launch and he said the Saturn !b project was not happening. That was the last I heard..

-Chris

Originally posted by Loopy
Ryan, in answer to your question, I pulled this off the above listed website...Animal Motor Works is supplying the motors, tentatively a central 6" P10000 motor with 4 6" O5000 motors and another O5000 motor in the sustainer.

That page hasn't been updated since April, so who knows...

LOL!!

have to go!
i think i'll bring all my camera equipment and video camera and make a point to get some good photographs. maybe a great one...

"Woo Whooooo!" ~~ Bub Rubb

That begs the question...what is going with the Gates Brothers? I know one of them was tied up with closing RocketSilo 2.0 last year, but they seem to have dropped from the radar. Is everything all right with them, or are they just putting all their work into one or two big projects? They posted to ROL awhile back that they were working on something designed to bust 100,000'.

Originally posted by Chilly
That begs the question...what is going with the Gates Brothers?

Rocketsilo tied up Erik for a while, then they had some family problems, and now Dirk had the bright idea to go and start a new tech company, so he's been pretty busy as of late. But work on the Saturn continues...

Originally posted by SpartaChris
Any idea when they plan on launching the Saturn?

Next year at Balls is the plan. Erik said he wanted to get a scale gantry set up to go along with the rocket for "atmosphere". It should be a riot.

As for this Balls... I can't wait, only FOUR DAYS until I'm standing on the Black Rock playa prepping rockets. I feel like a little kid counting down until christmas! And I haven't even finished both of my projects yet... gotta get to work on that...

ONE MORE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry for shouting...
i'm excited.

i'm spending today cleaning camera lenses, etc.
i'll have one tripod, 3 35mm cameras, one video camera, and one medium format camera, and a digi-cam for good measure!

Since i'm only L1, i can't fly anything there, so i will be able to concentrate on photography.

can someone tell me where the launch site is compared to where AeroPac's launch site is?

maybe i should pick up a gps unit?
they are pretty cheap these days...

Originally posted by Elapid
ONE MORE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'll have one tripod, 3 35mm cameras, one video camera, and one medium format camera, and a digi-cam for good measure!

Since i'm only L1, i can't fly anything there, so i will be able to concentrate on photography.

Keep the sun to your back, anything for video you want to do in slow motion hit the frame button (1/4,000 of a second makes a nice clean frame) and it looks like you may want to grow another set of arms, unless you have sound actuated devices to run your still cameras.

Chuck

PS....pressure's on, we need great video of Wedge's machine ;-)

at least!
the video camera is the one piece of equipment i have absolutely no training in...thanks for the tip about the shutter speed!
i'm thinking the video camera should be on the tripod to avoid my typical 'shaky cam' videography

when shooting into the sun...a little lens flare can be artistic! :)

each camera will have a different lens, so they will be in use at different times. i have the 28mm on my nikon (autofocus, so i'm guaranteed at least some in-focus shots!) for scenery shots, got the 85mm on the canon for portraiture, 50mm on another fully manual camera so i don't have to depend on batteries for ALL my shots...the MF, also fully manual, has a 120mm lens and with the bellows all racked out, i can get great close-ups!

i guess i should get out the video camera manual!
any other video tips?

if anyone wants pics, grab me!
i plan to submit photos to the magazines if they pay well...
if not, i'll offer a DVD on ebay or something like that.

that is if i get anything worthy...

I tried using a tripod for launches, but unless you're well over a mile away there is no head made to move quick enough to follow the rocket. This sounds crude, but sort of in line with a monopod, if you cut a dowel (1-2"thick) just the right height so you can sit the camera on it while the rocket is on the pad, then as you follow the rocket the dowel drops to the ground. It eliminates the shake on the ground while not inhibiting you when the rocket's in the air. If all else fails, a very light monopod may work in a similar fashion, just keep everyone away as you swing it around, :)

And practice on the smaller rockets even if you don't want to record them, tape is cheap and it helps get your timing for the larger stuff.

Originally posted by Chuck Rudy
I tried using a tripod for launches, but unless you're well over a mile away there is no head made to move quick enough to follow the rocket. This sounds crude, but sort of in line with a monopod, if you cut a dowel (1-2"thick) just the right height so you can sit the camera on it while the rocket is on the pad, then as you follow the rocket the dowel drops to the ground. It eliminates the shake on the ground while not inhibiting you when the rocket's in the air.

Great idea!

In return, I offer my favorite technique: mount a red-dot gun sight to the camera. Zero it in so that the dot appears where the camera points when fully zoomed.

Trying to follow a rapidly moving rocket through the viewfinder is difficult, especially when you are using zoom. The sight remains 1-to-1 and makes the job amazingly easy. It also makes recovery possible if the rocket should leave the frame.

Bill

According to ROL a DVD will be produced by ER. So the BBX should be on DV and not on the QT. UC? ;-)

Originally posted by Chuck Rudy
According to ROL a DVD will be produced by ER. So the BBX should be on DV and not on the QT. UC? ;-)

Acronym overload!

Looks like the 100% scale Honest John suffered a cato...

It flew on a cluster of 4 5" O motors. The smoke you see comes from the 8 29mm motors used to complete the spin feature, capturing the scale of this project even further..

Brutal that it happened, but an awesome pic nonetheless..

-Chris

Originally posted by SpartaChris
Looks like the 100% scale Honest John suffered a cato...

It flew on a cluster of 4 5" O motors. The smoke you see comes from the 8 29mm motors used to complete the spin feature, capturing the scale of this project even further..

Brutal that it happened, but an awesome pic nonetheless..

-Chris

I'm assuming this is your pic since there are no credits. What was it determined that the white spots were about a foot forward of the fins? They appear to be moving away from center. Was that the beginining of the end?

Chuck

Back