Birds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rxu7zzM.jpg

Right now the game lands are full of tundra swans with some Alaska snow geese mixed in, they come here every year for winter.

Attachments

• DSC00100.JPG
    8.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00099.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC05498.JPG
    DSC05498.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC04390.JPG
    DSC04390.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
I don't remember ever seeing that. Anyone knows what kind it is? I suspect it's a chick.

Edit: There just aren't that many birds that are blue: macaws, blue jays, some budgies, ... ?

Last edited:
There just aren't that many birds that are blue: macaws, blue jays, some budgies, ... ?
I've seen a few birds in western U.S. that were very blue, I don't know what they are called. They don't look like the BlueJays that we have here. I've not seen enough of them to get photographs.
We have BlueJays here, they are very skittish and hard for me to photograph, and they frequently aren't very photogenic anyway. They always look ruffled. We have Dove around here sometimes when they migrate and they are almost always perfectly groomed, the BlueJays are kind of the opposite.
DSC_0798b.jpg

I"ve allways found bluejays hard to get a picture of. They don"t sit still very long thats for sure.
Here is a Baltimore Oriole that stopped by the woodpeckers food

Attachments

• DSC00311.JPG
    DSC00311.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
We have Steller's jays (with the crest) and more recently scrub jays that are pretty blue. They're hard to get pictures of though.
1676398565275.png 1676398614674.png

Seattle is in kind of a sweet spot for birding. We get a bunch of overwintering birds (goldeneyes in salt water, snow geese in the fields north of town) and another set over the summer. There's also just the right number of bald eagles, maybe 10-15 nesting pairs in the city limits. Common enough that you see them fairly often, rare enough that it's still cool when you do. A year or so ago, we walked under a bald eagle sitting near the top of a telephone pole. He was looking at our small dog like it was lunchtime.

Hyacinth macaws are probably the largest blue birds. From a quick search, there seems to only a few thousands in the wild and a few thousands that are domesticated.

Hyacinth-macaw.jpg 7b40f5a37f7605edc407123a6c4509e3.jpg

Last edited:
We get lots of water birds on our pond in the golf course, but my favorite bird watching is at the San Diego Zoo:
IMG_0333.JPG
Mandarin duck

IMG_0336.JPG
Wood duck

Red-tailed hawk released over the crowd:

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG
Stellar sea eagle, weighs up to 20 lbs. with an 8 ft. wingspan. Very rare, found in Japan.

I officiated a funeral today. As we pulled into the cemetery, there was a hawk in the middle of the driveway with a grey squirrel in his talons. He stared at our car while he decided if he needed to move out of the way. He did, but while the squirrel was alive, he was already crippled enough that he didn't look like he was going to get too far before the hawk returned.

More around the house and golf course birds:
020.JPG
Female Mallard with lots of ducklings

024.JPG
Female Mourning dove with two fledglings

026.JPG
Black headed Gross-beak in the pond outside our kitchen window.

001.JPG

Western Tanager in the same pond

Last edited:
Back