Binder Design Tyrannosaur 50th BDay Present Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no. last time, with the sock, it didn't come out so well. the very last tube came out great so I pulled it tight and left in place

Continuing to move along. Peeled the Peel ply and the tube and ebay tube came out looking real nice.
lower tube sock with ebay.jpglower tube sock.jpg

Today I sanded it lightly and then put on the 2oz veil layer and have it drying on my rotisserie with peel ply over it.
lower tube with veil.jpg

So it's not perfect, but it's 100% better than my first attempt. After some light sanding and filler, I think it's going to work out very nicely now.
fiberglassed ebay 2.jpg fiberglassed ebay.jpg fiberglassed rough.jpg fiberglassed.jpg

Got a little further today. Lightly sanded all outsides, then worked the fin slots to get a good fit. Hit the upper body with heavy filler/primer and man have I got a LOT of work ahead of me, but i'll get through it. Finally epoxied the fincan in place. Since the slots are cut all the way through, I've used some electrical tape pulled really tight to ensure the tube forms properly to the lower CR and mid CR.
1 fins installed.jpg

Got the talons put on this evening using two aluminum angles to create a placement guide. They came out pretty good. On to filets tomorrow I hope.
2 fins.jpg 3 fins.jpg 4 fins.jpg

Got a little more done this evening. I was able to complete fillets on two sides. One more to go tomorrow. Using rocketpoxy and a little green dye to help me see my lines.
1 fillets.jpg 2 fillets.jpg

Once the primer gets on, things start getting exciting.

What color scheme?
It's getting there. My daughter told my wife to order a red decal. I'm thinking a darker green to go along with it. but open to other ideas! I can do all kinds of crafts....but visualizing color schemes isn't a strong suit.
I will hijack my own thread though and say my boy won 1st in show today as a bear in the cub scout pinewood derby. Proud of my Cub Scout! (Hope my rocket looks half as good as his car!)
eriks car 2.jpg eriks car.jpg

So after fiberglassing I'm seeing serious imperfections that I didn't see prior to putting on the primer. What's the best method of filling these? Keep painting and sanding? Wood filler? Would love to know what others do when faced with this after epoxying
pits1.jpg.

So after fiberglassing I'm seeing serious imperfections that I didn't see prior to putting on the primer. What's the best method of filling these? Keep painting and sanding? Wood filler? Would love to know what others do when faced with this after epoxying
View attachment 311097.

I use lightweight body filler. Superfil would be even better.

Steve Shannon

It's getting there. My daughter told my wife to order a red decal. I'm thinking a darker green to go along with it. but open to other ideas! I can do all kinds of crafts....but visualizing color schemes isn't a strong suit.
I will hijack my own thread though and say my boy won 1st in show today as a bear in the cub scout pinewood derby. Proud of my Cub Scout! (Hope my rocket looks half as good as his car!)
View attachment 311029 View attachment 311030

That's beautiful!!

Kevin! that is the nicest looking pinewood derby car I have ever seen!
just WOW!

View attachment 311029 View attachment 311030

she is looking good so far!! have you decided on a paint scheme?

Thanks Rick! I just got back to sanding and priming this am after fillling for a while and a three day trip down to TN. So I believe it's going to be forest green with the red decals. I have pics of a few cans and plan to superimpose on the computer to see what each would look like first.

Thanks for the derby car comment too. Going to the District championship in two weeks. Hope the boy does well there too.

pinewood derby is just fun..I did that with both of my kids...my daughter somehow got third place...powdered graphite is your friend...and weight distribution!!

this rocket looks extremely cool!!

Thanks Rick! I just got back to sanding and priming this am after fillling for a while and a three day trip down to TN. So I believe it's going to be forest green with the red decals. I have pics of a few cans and plan to superimpose on the computer to see what each would look like first.

Thanks for the derby car comment too. Going to the District championship in two weeks. Hope the boy does well there too.

Ground tested today. 2.8g just pushed out the drogue. Gonna bump to 3g. Forward is 2.6g with good ejection. Time to clean up the paint and put on the decals. Ldrs is getting close!!

Looks great. I vote for red on the cone, but it might be hard to get it to match the vinyl.

ok. Sanded back down. Red it's going to be. Kept looking at it and it was just off with it green. Had the vinyl been green.....

BTW...I use 1.9 g for the drogue and 2.3 g for the main on my Tyrannosaur. I've only flown it 2x with full dual deploy, and it seemed to work ok. Then again, I crashed my Terrordactyl a few months ago because my charges were undersized, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

BTW...I use 1.9 g for the drogue and 2.3 g for the main on my Tyrannosaur. I've only flown it 2x with full dual deploy, and it seemed to work ok. Then again, I crashed my Terrordactyl a few months ago because my charges were undersized, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

Do you have shear pins in your lower section? I have two 2/56 pins. May be part of the difference.

Do you have shear pins in your lower section? I have two 2/56 pins. May be part of the difference.

That's it. I didn't notice you were pinning the booster. I just friction fit.

That's it. I didn't notice you were pinning the booster. I just friction fit.
BTW. All this work I've done all started with an idea because of something I saw. You are the culprit! :) I was going through threads a few nights ago and realized it was your Tyrannosaur thread that made me think "I GOTTA have that!". Still love the way you did the paint with the net. I wanted to replicate that so much when I was following your thread, but just knew I'd mess it up so obviously this one looks nothing like what you accomplished! Anyway, THANKS for sparking the interest in this beast. It's been a fun challenge!

Back