Binder Design - Mike Fisher

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfytr310

Reaction score
From the quality of his kits to the promptness in his replies to the wisdom in his advise, even when not directly associated with an order, Mike is second to none in this field. When I am looking for anything, especially customer work here lately, I always start with Mike first.

For example, earlier this year, I was inquiring about thrust plates (some stocked by other vendors) and Mike chimed in that he would like the challenge of creating his own, improved design. I signed on and placed an order. He walked me through his needed dimensions and ran from there. The quality of the product created is phenomenal, I now have 3 and just placed an order for a 4th.

Mike's designs are eye-catching, I'm particularly intrigued by the Velociraptor (if it has split fins, I'm drawn to it...). I just wish there was a bit more detail available- photos of unassembled components, more description (how does the baffle work? How is it modular? How does it work with DD?), access to the build instructions (11 pages is very impressive!), an OpenRocket file (description says it has one...is there a link?). I get that he's in the rocket design and kitting business, not the website creation business (but his site is still better than many!), but it would help a new customer feel more comfortable with the product. Love that the kits come with so much- hardware, recovery, decals...definitely a nice touch!

Agreed that Mike is awesome to work with. He cut custom fins for my scratch build this year and they came out fantastic. I'm also building my first Binder Design rocket, and it's extremely well made. Any issues are all my own, not the kit. He's been very good a email and trf communication. A real pleasure to work with!

Mike's designs are eye-catching, I'm particularly intrigued by the Velociraptor (if it has split fins, I'm drawn to it...). I just wish there was a bit more detail available- photos of unassembled components, more description (how does the baffle work? How is it modular? How does it work with DD?), access to the build instructions (11 pages is very impressive!), an OpenRocket file (description says it has one...is there a link?). I get that he's in the rocket design and kitting business, not the website creation business (but his site is still better than many!), but it would help a new customer feel more comfortable with the product. Love that the kits come with so much- hardware, recovery, decals...definitely a nice touch!

Read my signature to determine how I might feel about the Velociraptor :)

I opted to not use the baffle since I wanted clear access to the forward closure on the motor for recovery attachment. That said, it was a really, really fun kit to build. I have a thread on it somewhere around here.

**Edit: And here it is.

Always had great service from Mike.

Love the Velociraptor. My build thread is here: https://www.ausrocketry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1782

Unfortunately the pics for the first build were lost (hosting website) and I have not put them back in. Pics start again about page 3.
Long story short: Lost it, got it back, resurrected it. Now it is a regular flier again (typically L motors).

Always had great service from Mike.

Love the Velociraptor. My build thread is here: https://www.ausrocketry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1782

Unfortunately the pics for the first build were lost (hosting website) and I have not put them back in. Pics start again about page 3.
Long story short: Lost it, got it back, resurrected it. Now it is a regular flier again (typically L motors).

Thanks for sharing your journey, OTT- I enjoyed reading about your trials and tribulations, sorry that none of the build details carried through! Amazing that you lost it in the weeds for almost a year, and yet you were able to recover the spirit of the beast! I must've missed what you used on your Resurrection flight for telemetry- was that a homebrew system giving heading and elevation readings? Or is that what Kate sounds like down under?

Mike has been a huge help with my L1, and my other Binder Design purchases. On top of his first class customer service, I'd also like to thank him for all the support in allowing me and providing so much information for me to create sims of so many of his designs.

Have I missed something or has Mike sold his business? He has been helpful to many.

Not yet. He is looking to sell Binder Design in order to focus on Fisher Research (EX hardware) and Max Q Aerospace (aluminum fin cans). Mike also designs/builds parts for electric guitars and high-end hanging doors - he is a guy with a lot going on...

Mike is the guy that first got me into HPR fifteen or sixteen years ago. He is an incredibly gifted inventor and builder of things. He is also one of the nicest guys you are likely to meet on the flight line. Mike is the Real Deal, that's for sure...

I have been getting my EX nozzles from him since Ed Romani got out of the business and he does excellent work and fast service.

Not yet. He is looking to sell Binder Design in order to focus on Fisher Research (EX hardware) and Max Q Aerospace (aluminum fin cans). Mike also designs/builds parts for electric guitars and high-end hanging doors - he is a guy with a lot going on...

That's interesting for a variety of reasons, mostly that EX hardware and high-end fin cans are pretty rarefied items, without a lot of mass market (haa, like HPR is just crawling with consumers). Makes sense too, though, since the raw material and tooling overhead are probably lower if your components all rely on a lathe and a TIG welder, instead of the laser cutters, rotational molds, sanding/planing fixtures you'd need to run a conventional HPR rocket shop, not to mention the tube inventory, etc.

Last edited:
Binder does some really cool stuff, much respect!

Mike, thanks for the original post and for putting up with me while I figure out the thrust plate stuff!

And to everyone else who's kind words mean so much to me, thank you!!

Binder Design is still under my ownership, and I'm not dead yet so we're still rocking and rolling. :) We've made a lot of changes since listing the company for sale and it has been our busiest year ever. At this point it makes more sense to keep it. The listing price was so low and nobody jumped on it when they had the chance that I've made the commitment to grow it even more. I'm working it full time and we're at the point that I need to hire at least one person. We've got some exciting things in the works.

My customers have made this all possible, and I thank every single one of you from the bottom of my heart.

Mike Fisher
Binder Design
www.binderdesign.com

Mike, thanks for the original post and for putting up with me while I figure out the thrust plate stuff!

Binder Design is still under my ownership, and I'm not dead yet so we're still rocking and rolling. :) We've made a lot of changes since listing the company for sale and it has been our busiest year ever. At this point it makes more sense to keep it. The listing price was so low and nobody jumped on it when they had the chance that I've made the commitment to grow it even more. I'm working it full time and we're at the point that I need to hire at least one person. We've got some exciting things in the works.

My customers have made this all possible, and I thank every single one of you from the bottom of my heart.

Mike Fisher
Binder Design
www.binderdesign.com

Great News Mike!

Excellent news and congratulations on your continued success! There is a reason for that; your rockets are top notch!

Mike Fisher
Binder Design
www.binderdesign.com

Mike-i think someone might have emailed you about a job :)

I agree with everyone that it is good news you will be keeping Binder. There are a couple of kits that I have been desiring for quite some time, and that upscale of the Stealth is still in the works.

I placed an order this week for a thrust plate. The fact I could choose the color really sold me. The steel inserts for the flames motor retainer were just icing on the cake. I can't wait to get it.

Steve

Congratulations Mike, it's great to hear others success in this "business". As a competitor I give you a lot of respect for some great product and most of all, the service that leads to the comments you see here.

There is work out there for all of us, if we do the best of our ability and provide good product. Keep it up!

Glad to hear that Mike - looking forward to purchasing my first Binder Design soon

I just received my custom thrust plate and ejection charge wells from Mike. I am extremely happy with the parts. The depth of the blue anodize finish color is amazing. Each part was individually heat sealed in bubble wrap for shipping.

I would recommend his services to anyone.

ThrustPlate.jpg

I'm in the process of ordering a thrust plate from him, that pic makes me sure I'm in the right place.

Those charge wells look great as well. He has too much nice stuff over there.

Back