Binder Design - Excel Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
I actually scratch built this but styled it after the Excel Plus. I used 4" LOC tubing and used this rocket for my L1 cert about 11 years ago.

IMG_2131b.jpg

REDLINE.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My Binder Design Excel Plus. In this photo it is rigged with an ebay. Not doing Dual-Deployment yet, but soon.

231.jpg

234.jpg

Welcome to the Binder Design Excel Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Binder Design Excel and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Binder Design: Excel:
Binder Design: Excel 38mm Dual Deploy:
Binder Design: Excel 54mm:
Binder Design: Excel 54mm Dual Deploy:
Binder Design: Excel Jr.:
Binder Design: Excel Plus:

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Binder Design Excel Plus Basic Information.

binder_design.gif
Binder Design

Excel Plus

NUMBER

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x38mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages:
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: The Excel Plus was replaced by the Excel DD version. It is the same except the DD version uses our avionics bay kit between the booster and payload tube. (Binder Design Personal Communication)

binder-excel%20plus-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Binder Design 2011 Personal Communication

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
whoops.. should have mentioned the details. BD Excel Plus 38mm MMT, set up Dual Deploy

Here is my BD Excel Plus 38 MM with the Dual deploy kit. I got my L2 with this rocket on a J381. What a great kit.

photo1-vi.jpg

I love my BD Excel DD kit with a 54mm MMT. Per a special request, Mike included a longer motor tube (16" vs the stock 8" if memory is correct) and a third centering ring. This allows me to reach the shock cord attachment. As you can see, I painted it stock. I've got the nylon rivets installed to fasten the upper section to the av-bay but I haven't installed shear pins (yet). Hoping to have all the Stratologger altimeter wired up so I can try and launch it July 14th.

rocket.jpg

excel1.JPG

Binder Design Excel Basic Information.

binder_design.gif
Binder Design

MODEL NAME: Excel Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Stages: 1
Length: 50"
Diameter: 4"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: The Excel is perfect for level 1 certifications! Pre-slotted airframe makes for an easy build along with all new fin-can instructions. Kit contains 3/16" aircraft grade plywood fins, plywood centering rings, and a high quality parachute. Now comes with motor retention and new decal package! H through K motors recommended.(Binder Design 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

binder%20design-excel-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Binder Design Excel 54mm Basic Information.

binder_design.gif
Binder Design

MODEL NAME: Excel 54mm Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x54mm
Length: 50"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: The Excel is perfect for level 1 certifications! Pre-slotted airframe makes for an easy build along with all new fin-can instructions. Kit contains 3/16" aircraft grade plywood fins, plywood centering rings, and a high quality parachute. Now comes with motor retention and new decal package! H through K motors recommended.

Same as pictured above but comes with a 54mm motor mount. (Binder Design 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

binder%20design-excel%2054mm-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Binder Design Excel 38mm Dual Deploy Basic Information.

binder_design.gif
Binder Design

MODEL NAME: Excel 38mm Dual Deploy Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Length: 71"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: We've added the optional dual deploy kit to this popular classic. The dual deploy Excel is perfect for Level 2 certifications and features our popular avionics bay kit and extra recovery components to fly dual deploy. Pre-slotted airframe makes for an easy build along with all new fin-can instructions. Kit contains 3/16" aircraft grade plywood fins, plywood centering rings and bulkhead, and a high quality parachute. Now comes with motor retention! H through K motors recommended. (Binder Design 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

binder%20design-excel%2038mm%20dd-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
2011 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Binder Design Excel 54mm Dual Deploy Basic Information.

binder_design.gif
Binder Design

MODEL NAME: Excel 54mm Dual Deploy Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x54mm
Length: 71"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: We've added the optional dual deploy kit to this popular classic. The dual deploy Excel is perfect for Level 2 certifications and features our popular avionics bay kit and extra recovery components to fly dual deploy. Pre-slotted airframe makes for an easy build along with all new fin-can instructions. Kit contains 3/16" aircraft grade plywood fins, plywood centering rings and bulkhead, and a high quality parachute. Now comes with motor retention! H through K motors recommended.

Same as pictured above, except comes with a 54MM motor mount. (Binder Design 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

binder%20design-excel%2054mm%20dd-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Binder Design Excel Jr. Basic Information.

binder_design.gif
Binder Design

MODEL NAME: Excel Jr. Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Length: 33"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: The Excel Jr. is a downscale of one of our most popular designs. Perfect for younger flyers who want to fly the same rockets as the "big boys". Awesome performance on F and G class motors, but light enough to fly on D and E motors with optional adapter. Detailed 10 page instruction manual is geared for the beginner to mid/high power. Instructions include special detailing tips for fin finishing, as well as printed Rocksim stability data courtesy of APOGEE COMPONENTS.

Should weigh less than a pound when fully loaded for flight depending on construction methods. Expect about 3,000 ft. on a G motor!

Comes with 1/8" aircraft plywood fins, 12 feet of 3/16" tubular nylon shock cord, and a Binder Design premium chute. This new kit includes pre-slotted airframe for an easier build, and comes with a fin alignment guide! (Binder Design 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

binder%20design-excel%20jr-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Any of the old timers know if Gary Buck from Thoy/Rocket R&D gave Binder Design permission to copy the famous "Brutus"?

Or is it just a similar fin design? :wink:brutus1.jpg

I have the 5.5" "Big Brutus" sometimes called the Brutus EXP these were great kits...I Loved "The Mighty Falcon".
The Big 7.6" Skyraider had a 54 and two 38 mounts.

www.performancehobbies.com/picrrd.htm

Last edited:
My Excel finally got its first flight yesterday on a J350W. Loved it!!!

Attachments

• Excel1small.jpg
    Excel1small.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 110
Any of the old timers know if Gary Buck from Thoy/Rocket R&D gave Binder Design permission to copy the famous "Brutus"?

Or is it just a similar fin design? :wink:View attachment 88313

Both were designed by Scott Binder. I hear that there was some dispute about it back then that was either resolved or dropped. I can't post the heresay, but if you see me at a launch, I'd be glad to tell you what I know. I still have the original Brutus fin template.

I revamped the Excel series a couple years ago and dropped the "plus" moniker and the payload bay on the shorter Excel. Now it is just the Excel, and the longer version is the Excel dual deploy. It now assembles just like all of our newer kits that include the thrust ring and modular fin assembly that slides in after all internal fillets are done.

Here is my Binder Excel Dual Deploy. These kits are great, they come with quality parts and build out nice. The Fin can is super sturdy and they used some very nice quality wood for everything in the kit. They only thing you need to purchase are Plasitc Rivits, sheer pins if you want them and I chose to use an aerotech motor retainer but the kit supplied retainer would work just fine also. There is a build thread on this rocket in the MID POWER section._DSC0930 (427x640).jpg_DSC0931 (427x640).jpg_DSC0933 (427x640).jpg DID I mention this is the rocket I will be Certifying Level 1 at Midwest Power Launch Nov 2nd? I am usuing two RRC3's one extreme, for a dual deployment level 1... should be fun. This is my second real rocket build the first being an Estes Leviathan.

Last edited:
My 65% Excel Plus with anti-zipper recovery and ejection baffle which I call an Excel Minus.

Excel Minus.jpg

Latest posts

Back