Biggest scratch build yet - Bluto

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using my handy dandy homemade depth gauge, and a commercial depth gauge, I got the rail button positions marked. Drilling the holes with a 13/64" bit, I installed them with their supplied 1/4"-20 screws.

320_depth_gauge.jpg

321_depth_gauge.jpg

322_depth_gauge.jpg

323_depth_gauge.jpg

324_rail_buttons.jpg

325_rail_buttons.jpg

326_rail_buttons.jpg

327_rail_buttons.jpg

328_rail_buttons.jpg

329_rail_buttons.jpg

I wonder if this could weathercock more than a typical fin plan because the "chines" might cause particularly high lift at high angles of attack a la an F-18.

Airshowfan-dot-com--by-Bernardo-Malfitano--Image-of-Hornet-at-PCAM-Airshow.jpg

I wonder if this could weathercock more than a typical fin plan because the "chines" might cause particularly high lift at high angles of attack a la an F-18.

They do add fin area. I remember when first designing Bluto, they made a difference in the stability.

Got the retention clips made for the 54mm and two 29mm. These are just to keep the cases from falling out, since I won't be using motor eject. Boy, there's a lot going on back there!

333_cases.jpg

334_cases.jpg

335_retention.jpg

336_retention.jpg

337_retention.jpg

338_retention.jpg

339_retention.jpg

I noticed that the aft rail button looked a little crooked, so I thought I'd drilled the pilot hole a little off. I ran a 1/4-20 tap into the hole, but it looked pretty square. When I looked closer at the rail button, it was crushed. It looks like I originally tighten the screw too much. I didn't think one-piece rail buttons were that fragile, especially the bigger 1515 buttons. I replaced both with a pair of white ones I had, being careful not to over tighten either of them.

341_rail_button.jpg

342_rail_button.jpg

343_rail_button.jpg

344_rail_button.jpg

345_rail_button.jpg

346_rail_button.jpg

347_rail_button.jpg

I noticed that the aft rail button looked a little crooked, so I thought I'd drilled the pilot hole a little off. I ran a 1/4-20 tap into the hole, but it looked pretty square. When I looked closer at the rail button, it was crushed. It looks like I originally tighten the screw too much. I didn't think one-piece rail buttons were that fragile, especially the bigger 1515 buttons. I replaced both with a pair of white ones I had, being careful not to over tighten either of them.

I think it to be more likely that that was defective button.

Love this build! That chute sure is big!:dark:

Wow you can really see the scale out in your garage, looks very cool so far!

Got the av-bay sled put together. I used 1x2 pine, and 3/16" plywood.

348_sled.jpg

349_sled.jpg

350_sled.jpg

351_sled.jpg

352_sled.jpg

354_sled.jpg

355_sled.jpg

The sheer scale of the material that goes into it is impressive in its own right.

Ari.

So where will you mount the timer? And how will you run the wires to the 'starters'?

I'm planning on cutting a hole in the body tube between two of the fins. Then making an aluminum cover, with the switch mounted in it. All I have to do is drill a hole through the aft centering ring to run the wires through.

Well, at the last launch Jim was talking about picking up the project again.

It's definitely going to be an "away cell" rocket.

Anything New? I've been looking this over as I plan out Big Bootay...

Nothing new yet, but I really, really need to get to work on it. I have the two altimeters and the timer, it's just a matter of making a timer bay, and installing the altimiters in the av-bay. My son keeps bugging me about it, so I'm going to make him help.

What is Big Bootay? I love the name!

You know, I've done some soul searching, and I think there are two reasons I've been dragging my heels on this build. One, is the complexity. It will have two altimers (one redundant) and a timer for the air starts. Two, is a fear of failure. I've never launched anything this complex before, and it will all be new territory for me. I need to just get over my issues, and get it done. Whether it succeeds or fails, it should be epic!

You know, I've done some soul searching, and I think there are two reasons I've been dragging my heels on this build. One, is the complexity. It will have two altimers (one redundant) and a timer for the air starts. Two, is a fear of failure. I've never launched anything this complex before, and it will all be new territory for me. I need to just get over my issues, and get it done. Whether it succeeds or fails, it should be epic!

I do the same, but offer my encouragement as well. The few rockets I have seen of yours in person looked great as does the build technique here.

Also, no need to rush as long as you are enjoying yourself. You are far ahead of my next build! The fiberglass tubes sitting in my garage are completely failing to assemble themselves into a rocket, hah.

I do the same, but offer my encouragement as well. The few rockets I have seen of yours in person looked great as does the build technique here.

Also, no need to rush as long as you are enjoying yourself. You are far ahead of my next build! The fiberglass tubes sitting in my garage are completely failing to assemble themselves into a rocket, hah.

You're a good man Water,, positive,, encouraging,, and most important -- correct....

Quake there isn't a single person on this forum that be a naysayer for a build of yours in any way...
If anybody could work out the complexities,, you can....

Teddy

Nothing new yet, but I really, really need to get to work on it. I have the two altimeters and the timer, it's just a matter of making a timer bay, and installing the altimiters in the av-bay. My son keeps bugging me about it, so I'm going to make him help.

What is Big Bootay? I love the name!
Big Bootay is my 7.5" that I'm building now... I will begin construction in the next few days. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?121536-Big-Boo-Tay!-7-5-quot-Rocket-Build!

I've noticed the same thing. It's been sitting in my garage for months now, and there's still no timer bay. I guess I'll have to do it myself. I have to do everything around here. Sheesh.

Quake there isn't a single person on this forum that be a naysayer for a build of yours in any way...
If anybody could work out the complexities,, you can....

Teddy

Why thank you, Teddy, that's very kind of you to say.

I've noticed the same thing. It's been sitting in my garage for months now, and there's still no timer bay. I guess I'll have to do it myself. I have to do everything around here. Sheesh.

Yeah me too Quake,,,,
I have glass parts in my garage for so long I'm ashamed to tell you...
I go in a look at em every now and again...
Nothins happenin.........
I gotta do it myself or it ain't gonna get done....lol...lol..

Teddy

You post a lot of build threads all with abundant pic's...
The quality of your work is an easy call to make...
I'd like very much for you to see some of my work...
I'm anal and take great pride....
But the pic's are such a pain in the arss....lol..lol..

Teddy

Looking pretty good there. When I came across this thread it reminded me of a scratch build my son and I built, 6.5 " Loc Air frame. MMT's and nose cone. Hand cut centering rings and fins(plywood). aluminum rail guides by Atomic Rockets. 60" chute by Moms Chutes. 54mm main /K550- 29mm/H220x2. Adept timer. Never flew (economics)1998. We called it "Fear This". decal on lower left. You can also see my shortened VB Extreme 54 in the right corner. we still used cameras back then lol
View attachment 253631 But hey we had fun and we are back flying again.:cool:

Last edited:
Welcome back! Are you planning on flying Fear This now?

Not flyable. I used spray foam in the can and I didnt allow for ventilation so the foam would dry . the foam eventually warped the fins and motor tubes. Oh well.
I do say you have a quality build on that"Bluto".
Nice job.

He's still sitting in my garage where I left him almost three years ago. I don't know what it's going to take to get me motivated again. I know I lost my motivation for rocketry in general during our years long drought when launches were few and far between, and because of health issues. But still, it would be a shame not to finish Bluto. I've got a lot of time and money invested in him, and I think about him a lot (Everytime I walk through the garage!). I just need to get off my lazy butt and get to it. Easier said than done...

garage02.jpg

garage03.jpg

garage04.jpg

Qquake,

Perfection is the enemy of good enough. Slap some paint on that rocket and fly it. That will get your motivation back you can always make it look pretty later.

That rocket looks really cool and ready to fly.

Go make a video for us of that baby flying!

Oh man do I remember this build...
This thing is coming out amazing...
I remember awing at the machine work in it..
If you just start poking at it a little bit your interest will stir again....

Teddy

Back