Biggest Big Bertha

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe one of you very large project builders can weigh in on this question...at what point in weight /size do you have to go to forged eyebolts, rather than the typical stainless steel product we get at the local hardware store?

I use welded or forged eyes or u-bolts for anything high power. I've seen eye bolts open with openings that were not extremely fast. I've also seen forged eyes bent with extreme events. Bent is better that open and the price difference doesn't justify using inadequate hardware.

When I get the forge running again, somebody pester me until I remember I wanted to try flattening an eyenut into a D

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1488139963.232571.jpg

Coming together!

For a size comparison, the red tube on the ground is a piece of 8" dia G10 60" long

You know you have a large rocket when inserting a small child for flight is not a technical issue, rather an ethical one.

Love it. Where are you going to launch that? How high will it go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sure thing. Will probably need to help. Just put the entire airframe together today and this thing is heavy!!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490360985.442884.jpg

Ok, so this thing moved pretty fast.

Just a few odds and ends to finish up but looking pretty good!

Back