Bigger Deuce

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
I've just started construction of a bigger Deuce upscale.
Body diameter is 9", 99" long. Motors are 98 mm with max length 4 grain.
I've reduced the cant angle to 12.3 deg to accommodate the 4 grain motors.
The fins are huge! Deuce98 Fin.JPG
This shows the motor mount, both 12.3 and 15 deg cant.Deuce98 MMT.JPG
Finally, a sketch of the rear view, showing dimensions.Deuce98 rear.JPG

Here's most of the parts, one of 2 body tubes, coupler, motor tubes, and nose cone.Deuce98 02a.jpg The painted rocket is my 7.5" Goblin.
It was finally warm enough for epoxy to cure, so I laid 4 layers of 7.5 oz glass on one of the tubes.Deuce98 04a.jpg

This is going to be a gradual build as weather and work schedule permit. A couple more pictures of the partsDeuce98 03a.jpgDeuce98 01a.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, holy crap on a cracker!

Way kewl :)

What is the thickness of the fins? That end view drawing made them look rather thin for that size rocket...

Uh...WHAT ????

Oh this I have to see ! You really need to post a lot of build pics and then video when the time comes ,because this will be too cool !!!!

Paul T

Yeah, holy crap on a cracker!

Way kewl :)

What is the thickness of the fins? That end view drawing made them look rather thin for that size rocket...

His fin drawing calls for 1/2" honeycomb material. I highly doubt he is going to push this design that much. Those fins are inherently susceptible to flutter, no matter the material!

His fin drawing calls for 1/2" honeycomb material. I highly doubt he is going to push this design that much. Those fins are inherently susceptible to flutter, no matter the material!
Unfortunately, the honeycomb is not available. I'm using 1/2 baltic birch plywood. It has 14 plys.

Tom , How about bending some .375 aluminum tube to your fin profile , then fill the inside with 16 lb density foam. Glue on some thin ass plywood or luan to each side and glass . I bet each all four fins would be less the 8 pounds .

Eric

Any new status on this project? Inquiring minds want to know :)
It's going to be a gradual build. I have to build outside and most of the time it's too cold for epoxy to cure. Also, my work schedule eliminates half of the days. No more progress, still need to glass the second tube and go on from there.

It was too cold for epoxy, but warm enough to cut wood :) I got as far as cutting the motor mount triangle and one fin before the daylight ran out. The plywood is intended for countertops or shelving and has a phenolic surface. That's the reason for the dark color. The cut out fin weighs almost 6 lb. Some of the TTW tab will be cut away to fit around the motor tubes. 18 mm Deuce for scale.
Deuce98 05a.jpgDeuce98 06a.jpg

it sure does...I am just wondering if it will fit in the back of his van.:confused: I know the 54mm Deuce takes up quite a bit of space..But I am sure Tom will make it work...

it sure does...I am just wondering if it will fit in the back of his van.:confused: I know the 54mm Deuce takes up quite a bit of space..But I am sure Tom will make it work...
That's what they make rope and bungee cords for, so he can attach it to the top of the van. I hope I can make it down when this thing goes up. I'd like to see this in person, I've only seen his other one in video's.

Yeah, strap it to the roof with a sign that reads "don't tailgate or I will be forced to get a weapons lock...". LOL

YES!

Wow.

Just... wow. Can't wait to see this progress!

Later!

--Coop

It fits with about 2" left over :) I measured it before starting construction.

I got some more done on the Deuce.
First, I marked the buttplate for the fins and motor triangle. Deuce98 08a.jpg
I carved the upper centering ring from another bulkhead plate. Starting with a small hole, I kept enlarging it until it fit the tube.Deuce98 09a.jpg
Here are the motor tubes cut to length with the completed centering ring. Deuce98 10a.jpg

Using 5 minute epoxy, I began tacking the parts together.
First, the motor triangle to the buttplate, using a support to keep it square.Deuce98 11a.jpgDeuce98 12a.jpg
Next, one motor tube, then the other.Deuce98 13a.jpgDeuce98 14a.jpg
Finally, the top CR. A Deuce motor mount takes shape :) Deuce98 15a.jpg

Started on the fin fitting today. Bevel the root edge at 45 deg to fit against the motor mount triangle.Deuce98 17a.jpg
Then carve out the part of the tab that hits the motor tube.Deuce98 18a.jpg Deuce98 19a.jpg
This process will be repeated for the remaining 3 fins.

Tom,

I'm always amazed by what you do with so few power tools. I call it "free hand rocketry."

When there's a will, there's a way.

Tom is old school, when craftsmanship meant something.....he's one of the VERY few people I listen to, when it comes to rockets!

Go Tom...Goooo.....!

Just goes to show, ya don't need a ton of power tools, to build a first class project......just some skills.

Tom,

I'm always amazed by what you do with so few power tools. I call it "free hand rocketry."

When there's a will, there's a way.
I'm doing most of this with a Dremel and 36 grit sanding drum. It does take a while. With conventional materials, epoxy does take up the slack when the tolerances aren't as close as I'd like. Fiberglass rockets need to be a close fit for best results. I can get away with looser fits with wood and cardboard :)

It should be warm enough to glass the second body tube tomorrow :)

I got the other airframe tube glassed Tuesday. Deuce98 20a.jpg
This gives me 12 feet of airframe. I need 99" for the rocket, leaving some spare.

Much respect to you Tom !

I`m finding this build of yours very captivating ,keep up the good work !!

Paul T

Back