Bigger Deuce

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe in the FlisKits Deuce, the angle of the motors was chosen to put the thrust-lines through the CG so there is no turning moment if one motor fails to ignite and the flight will be stable and vertical.
The 54mm, with 11 deg cant flies fine on one motor. The biggest difference is rail vs rod. When only 1 motor is burning, there's a torque around the rod and the rocket will do about a full revolution before the fins stabilize it. The rail prevents this and there was severe damage to the Unistrut buttons where they were twisted in the slot. I didn't see whether the rail was twisted, it was well supported on a section of radio tower mast. It took over 1.6 seconds to clear the rail. I'm seriously considering putting 1" lugs on the rebuild booster.

Last edited:
The Deuce nose cone is blue and is undamaged. The nose cone in the picture is from the Goblin, completely destroyed by a cato. The aluminum below and right of the nose cone is the remains of the case.

OK, I get it. This is a sort of a collage of broken rocket parts. Planning on fixing that nose cone? You kept it for a reason I'm sure. It's good to know you'll have this Bigger Deuce flying again.

:eyepop: That would help if only one motor lights again..Wonder how much a 1"x8' rod weighs..for that matter costs...
A 1" stainless rod weighs 32 lb. and costs about $130 from Tull Metals. The club already has one :)

Got the rebuilt booster done Deuce98 114a.jpg It will be flying in it's underwear at the Freedom launch on M1419's.

I flew the Deuce98 on Saturday, fairly late. Ken was one grain short on the second M1419. I eventually went ahead and flew it on a M1419W and a M1075DM. There's about 60 lb. difference in thrust as well as a 2 sec difference in burn time. The rocket arced away from the M1419 somewhat and ended up in the trees. On main deployment, the 9/16" TN snapped below the nose cone. The nose cone recovered at the edge of the trees. I'll paint the booster and it will be ready to fly again.
Ground [YOUTUBE]RDaXPeKOirU[/YOUTUBE]
Onboard [YOUTUBE]1KiW9s4_eyk[/YOUTUBE]

Back