Big Styrofoam Gliders--> Boost Gliders?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetMan

Reaction score
As summer approaches, I'm seeing those three foot wing span gliders showing up in WalMart again. Has anyone ever converted one to a boost glider? That would be impressive!!

MetMan

I saw one launched with a C6-3 strapped underneath, towards the nose. It actually worked quite well, climbing to about 40 feet and looping once, after the motor burned out it glided for about 20 seconds.

There's a smaller one, with about a 16" wingspan, that I bet would work great as a boost glider on a longer rocket. You'd have to glue the wings on though, I'm sure.

I have successfully converted the small Guillow's foam space shuttle to a boost glider, with nice long glide times. I have another one which I installed micro-RC gear in, but I've made only one flight so far, which was not successful (too much elevon deflection, snap rolled, barely recovered before boinking a pickup truck.)

I've seen 2 of the smaller ones attached to a rocket about the size of a Blue Ninja, and they worked great.

Tim

Review of John Stiens':

SEARS572.com/gliderthang.htm

It does rather well.

Gary

I put together a G powered setup, and flew it at LDRS last summer. It even made a quick Cameo, on the Discovery channel show last November.

Originally posted by mikeyd
I put together a G powered setup, and flew it at LDRS last summer. It even made a quick Cameo, on the Discovery channel show last November.

Thats nice!! So those gliders detatch at ejection ?
-Karl

I like , i like ! GOTTA' get hold of one of these !
-Karl

I plan on straping some motors to a Wright Flyer that HobbyZone makes I saw it in my local hobby store.

Back