Quantcast

Big Styrofoam Gliders--> Boost Gliders?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

MetMan

Reaction score
As summer approaches, I'm seeing those three foot wing span gliders showing up in WalMart again. Has anyone ever converted one to a boost glider? That would be impressive!!

MetMan

vjp

Reaction score
I saw one launched with a C6-3 strapped underneath, towards the nose. It actually worked quite well, climbing to about 40 feet and looping once, after the motor burned out it glided for about 20 seconds.

There's a smaller one, with about a 16" wingspan, that I bet would work great as a boost glider on a longer rocket. You'd have to glue the wings on though, I'm sure.

I have successfully converted the small Guillow's foam space shuttle to a boost glider, with nice long glide times. I have another one which I installed micro-RC gear in, but I've made only one flight so far, which was not successful (too much elevon deflection, snap rolled, barely recovered before boinking a pickup truck.)

slim_t

Reaction score
I've seen 2 of the smaller ones attached to a rocket about the size of a Blue Ninja, and they worked great.

Tim

ggoldy

Reaction score
Review of John Stiens':

SEARS572.com/gliderthang.htm

It does rather well.

Gary

mikeyd

Old Rocketeer
Reaction score
I put together a G powered setup, and flew it at LDRS last summer. It even made a quick Cameo, on the Discovery channel show last November.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure what size this parasite gliders are but the owner seems to like flying this combo on a D12-3

Karl

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Originally posted by mikeyd
I put together a G powered setup, and flew it at LDRS last summer. It even made a quick Cameo, on the Discovery channel show last November.
Thats nice!! So those gliders detatch at ejection ?
-Karl

Karl

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I like , i like ! GOTTA' get hold of one of these !
-Karl

mkmilion

Reaction score
I plan on straping some motors to a Wright Flyer that HobbyZone makes I saw it in my local hobby store.

Latest posts