Big Sexy!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomopbo

Reaction score
Well my nephew is at it again!
Today I was supposed to test out my 2 stage Baby Bertha, but we had a new star rise to the occasion...

BIG SEXY

Derived from an Estes "Mean Machine"

Big Sexy's first launch was on a D12-3, and recovered by the dog!
(ummmm...the parachute needed a spill hole anyway)
Here is the launch!

... sexy. :D

awesome pics, what kinda camera is that?

and is that a stock mean machine or is it taller?

Great pix. That last one (on the E9) looks like it was taken at dusk. My *favorite* time to launch. Low winds and you get the BEST view of the motor burn :)

Great pics!

Especially like the D12 liftoff.

I love the Mean Machine.

Mine's painted as an American flag, breaks in the middle, and unfurls a 2' x 3' American flag on an extra long shock cord just beneath the parachute. Disgustingly patriotic. :p

Might have to do a Big Sexy, though, once my kids grow up. :D

Yeah Baby!!! That Big Sexy is Dead Sexy!!! Great pictures. The Mean Machine is another kit that begs modifications. I made one to take a 29mm motor, and made it to break apart in the middle and come down in 2 seperate pieces.

Great pictures! I like the 1st pic. Not only does the red door match the lettering on the rocket, but it gives the perfect contrast for an otherwise plain paint job. But, it does look great! Sometimes simple is best! Nice static and in-flight pictures.

Originally posted by jflis
Great pix. That last one (on the E9) looks like it was taken at dusk.

nomopbo would obviously know better, but I'd wager it was shot at a similar time as all the other images. A digital camera will read the hottest point in the image - in this case, the ignition flame - and "adjust" the rest of the image, leading to an overall darker shot.

that's been my experience, at any rate, with shooting launches for our section. A little time with levels in Photoshop will bring out that beautiful blue sky seen in all the other images. :)

Oh - and those are great shots, BTW.

Originally posted by rabidsheeep
... sexy. :D

awesome pics, what kinda camera is that?

and is that a stock mean machine or is it taller?

Rabid,
Big Sexy was built stock. And the camera is an "Easy Share Kodak Digital" I haven't had it long but I love it. It was such an upgrade from my Poloroid 640x480 digital:eek:

Originally posted by graylensman
nomopbo would obviously know better, but I'd wager it was shot at a similar time as all the other images. A digital camera will read the hottest point in the image - in this case, the ignition flame - and "adjust" the rest of the image, leading to an overall darker shot.

that's been my experience, at any rate, with shooting launches for our section. A little time with levels in Photoshop will bring out that beautiful blue sky seen in all the other images. :)

Oh - and those are great shots, BTW.

It actually was taken not long after the other shot, and I had no idea as to why it was so much darker. But like Jim said, the flame looks cool!

I do have photoshop, so I will try your tip and attempt to get a great flame and bright blue sky. Thanks!

Originally posted by nomopbo
It actually was taken not long after the other shot, and I had no idea as to why it was so much darker. But like Jim said, the flame looks cool!

I do have photoshop, so I will try your tip and attempt to get a great flame and bright blue sky. Thanks!

go for it! If you need help, PM me and I'll give you some tips.

Back