Big Red Bee / Egg Finder Interference

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davdue

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am building a Wildman Dink for LDRS. It will be headend dual deploy with a EggFinder Quantum for the altimeter. I would like to put my Big Red Bee BRB900 tracker in with the Quantum. Does anyone have any experience with these two being together? Normally the tracker would go in the nosecone but in this case the av-bay is in the nose cone. It will also fly with a BRB BeeLine 70cm radio tracker strapped to the main shock cord so it will be right above the av bay during flight. Thanks in advance.

The quantum is just a Wi-Fi signal. I don't see that interfering with your 70 cm radio at all. IFly my quantum with my egg finder mini all the time

Thanks. I'm not really worried about the interference with the tracker because when it separates it will be 25' away. My concern is will the quantum be happy with a 900Mhz GPS stream being transmitted beside it and fire the charges correctly. If it doesn't like it then that could be really bad.

Ground test extensively.

Hook mini lights tot he pyro outputs on the Quantum and sandwich it between the transmitters and watch what happens. Be sure to have leads to the simulated e-matches about the same length you will use in flight, and the same with battery and leads.

Good idea. I will definitely ground test. What I am really wanting to know as early as possible is if I need to think about purchasing an Egg Finder Mini as a tracker. I want to get one someday but not necessarily now. But I guess I can set up my av bay before the rocket is completely ready and do the testing you are suggesting. Thanks,

You have nothing to worry about. Hundreds of people have flown Quantums alongside 900 MHz trackers, both BRB and ours. The Quantum is highly resistant to RF interference... the processor is inside a shielded can, and the deployment electronics use optoisolators and BJT transistors so it would take a huge amount of EMF to glitch them. I've flown three of them with two Eggfinders a number of times.

I took several Egg products and wired bare ematches on the ground and transmitted 5 watt signals on 2 meters, 1.25 meters, 70cm and the 150mhz dog tracker bands. Yes, not that scientific but the deployment altimeters just kept happily beeping a ready to launch state. I tried every device except the latest one. Haven't built mine yet. Wife passed in January and my time is really at a premium. Retirement in 2.5 years and I plan to be active again. Maintaining NAR and TRA memberships though inactive currently. Kurt

Back