Big Nuke 3E

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven88

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Good day. As we've discussed in a previous post, my Loc Big Nuke 3E is not stable an anything bigger than a small J motor without added nose weight. Instead of adding weight, (and a lot of weight is required to fly an L motor) I’d like to lengthen the rocket instead. My question is, can I lengthen it too much to where the Loc paper tubing can’t hold up to the weight and it buckles? The Loc paper tube I bought to lengthen it is 34” long. I also purchased a standard coupler and a stiffy coupler for it. I would like to add anywhere from 12”- 20” to the rocket and I’m not sure what a proper add on length is. I did an guesstimated sim on OR and it shows that I will need to add around 18” to make it stable with an L motor if I don’t add any nose weight. I’m not against a little nose weight and shorter length though if that would be better.

You will probably need to glass it as I did if you want to fly big motors. I added 10 oz to the NC and lengthened the booster 12" to accommodate the AT 75/6400 motor case. Total length now is 94.6", stabilty is 1.6 with an AT M650. I flew it last year at LDRS with an AT M1297W.

Attachments

• Screenshot (20).png
    Screenshot (20).png
    130.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190418_090653.jpg
    20190418_090653.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 39
The kit does say that it flies on J, K and L motors. I can hardly believe the kit recommends L motors if it requires so much modification to do so

The kit does say that it flies on J, K and L motors. I can hardly believe the kit recommends L motors if it requires so much modification to do so
I don't think you would need much modification to fly an L. As far as glassing, you would have to take it down to bare paper for the epoxy to penetrate and adhere which would be a huge PIA

I flew my stock 3E (not glassed) on an L1000 with only a few ounces of extra nose weight, I don't think this is a big problem.

I have a Nuke 3e in my pile with a cental 54mm and 2x 29mm outboards, ive read nose weight really isnt needed unless going big 75mm motors. Im hoping to not have to add much nose weight if any in the J415 - K550 range of motors and some small 3 grain 29mm outboards for airstarting

Back