BIG EARS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Space Oddity

Reaction score
Well I finally decided to stop complaining about apathy and UK rocketry and visit the East Anglian Rocket Society event in Cambridgeshire at the weekend. My wife, grandson and I made the one half hour drive to Elsworth.

I can't say we had to fight through crowds on arrival but the enthusiasm of all was very apparent. We were there for one day, on Sunday.

The "Rockets and Things" tent was there selling a lot of kits and bits.
I expected we'd stay an hour then leave. Instead we were there for four hours. It was a great event.

It began with a competition for children flying their A motor kit rockets. The winner being the one whose rocket landed closest to the launch pad. Then came a series of BP motor flights, some more impressive than others. Then the medium and high power rockets.

To be honest I'd expected to see a bunch of elitist modellers looking down at anyone flying less than an H motor. Instead I found a bunch of enthusiasts eager to give advice at any level. My various confusions about mid and high motors were dispelled, I now understand what's available and what's needed, completely.

I commented to the chap from Rockets and Things that he had more in his tent than he had for sale on his web site. He agreed and said, "just e mail me with what you want and I'll tell you if I have it in stock".

The whole atmosphere of the day was easy and good.

As for the high power rockets. The final launch roared into the sky to applause from the crowd. I have to say it was impressive. That's what I want to do!

A great day. I'll stop wingding about UK rocketry from now on and become part of it instead. My target is now to design, build and fly a high power rocket. I'm also quite intrigued with altitude records. I wonder if I can break one? Maybe try with a D motor to begin with. Though I suppose it depends on what it involves and how much it costs. In any event I'm now a convert.

SO.

I was at the EARS launch in Cambridgshire back in April 2005 and had a splendid time.

All I brought was an unpainted Estes Fat Boy with no engines or launch equipment. I felt everyone was very friendly and had a super fun day.

My fat boy got flown and signed by pretty much everyone there.

A very welcoming and spirited group.

I can't find the picture of my Fat Boy so I'll have to take another and post it.

I miss you guys.

Last edited:
I was going to go on the Monday but ended up going too FOG which is my local club now.

Malcolm is a too bloke. It's shame he's website is such a let down and he doesn't list it all.

Glad you had fun, am on there Facebook page and it looks good. It always help to talk to others in the hobby.

Ps I'm order some bits states side if you wanted too share shipping over??

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Hi, glad you enjoyed your day out at Big EARS :)

If you would like to come again, the normal EARS meetings are first sunday of the month. Same place.

Watch the website www.ears.org.uk for any last minute weather cancellations.

".........don't stop to count the years. Sweet songs never last too long on broken radios"

s6

Hi, glad you enjoyed your day out at Big EARS :)

If you would like to come again, the normal EARS meetings are first sunday of the month. Same place.

Watch the website www.ears.org.uk for any last minute weather cancellations.

Many thanks, I will.

I'm looking into joining and all that's involved in flying legally and above all, safely. The event was a bit of an eye opener about what's possible and what's safe.

I have a bit of trouble with the EARS web site at the moment with regard to getting current info. Once I've got all my questions together, I'll send them in.

SO.

Did you get to EARS in the end? Do come and say hi if you do.

I've visited a couple of times but I haven't joined or flown anything there yet. I didn't see much point in joining half way through the year and losing half of the subscription. I plan to join therefore on January the 1st next year. Same applies to UKRA.

SO

Ok. You don't need to join to fly... Do fly something next time you come. The more launches the merrier. They are not strict on this!

Back